ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Recall? (are ES350's impacted by the Camry tranny issue)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 09:56 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wizhill
Anyone have any experience with VAIS Technology? VAIS Technology
They have modules that plug into the Lexus stock headunit that allow digital input from the iPod, displays track information, artists, playlist, etc. on the Nav screen. Not sure if it'll work with Gen V Nav units. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this company or these modules.
This is a thread on tranny and repair issues so your question would probably be better presented in a thread more applicable to your question. Try searching the forum and then starting a new post so that this thread can stay on topic (just a recommendation).
Old 05-12-06, 11:08 PM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Apologize. I guess there was a tangent conversation going on in this thread. Perhaps the mod could move the entire iPod discussion from this thread to a new one?
Old 05-13-06, 08:13 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bunka
The fact that the Lexus dealers are putting buyers into NEW cars is a demonstration that in today's market you DO still sometimes "get what you pay for". Almost every new car has minor mechancial flaws. it happened in the Acura TL (VERY similar tranny issue) as well as in the Infiiniti GS but neither of those mfg's were (readily) offering replacements to the buyer "victims" but rather were simply rebuilding the trannys and giving the cars back to the original buyer. That was a demonstration of poor serivce IMHO and some people were successfull at getting Acura/Inifiniti to buy them back but often had to either go through or threaten legal action. Lexus on the otherhand appears to be handling this the same way BMW or Mercedes would...No questions asked and here's you new car sir. I guess the extra $'s are sometimes TRULY worth the price.
You are correct, I never looked at it like that. THANKS for the insite.
Old 05-25-06, 08:15 PM
derek_bkk
Driver School Candidate

Default had my es350 replaced also...

Purchased from Lexus of Las Vegas on the 15th of May.

At 238 miles on odometer...May 20th, experienced console warning/indicator lights of
"Check Engine", "Master Warning light", "Slip Indicator", "Check VSC".

Without a hassle, our ES 350 was exchanged for a brand new one. This is the second
Lexus I've owned, having dealt with a couple of Benzs' and it's long list of problems.
Donny D. in Sales gave us Excellent and Professional service....go see him if you reside
in LV.
Old 05-25-06, 08:40 PM
qliu34
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

500+ miles so far without any problems. cross my fingers.
Old 05-26-06, 04:51 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thegoodlif
Sorry to rain on your parade - but my brand new ES 350 Lexus has the transmission problem. It is so sad - only 545 miles on it, 1.5 weeks old, and lights came on the dash, message saying "Check VSC". It barely shifts out of 1st gear. :-(
On the promising side, the dealer is taking the high road - going to get me a brand new car.
However, I do find it very discouraging. I wanted a new car, payed top dollar to get great reliability, and now my new car is gone. Have a loaner until they get a replacement, so I guess I shouldn't be so picky, but it makes me wonder why I just didn't get used car.
I'll recover, but wow, what a bummer.
Sad, sad, sad.
Now that is a customer oriented approach!!! I'm curious, did they compensate you for State sales taxes, DMV registration fees, or financing contracts?
Old 06-02-06, 04:25 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thegoodlif
When I brought the car in, no-one mentioned anything about the tranny issue, but I actually took it to a different dealership for the maintenance than the one I bought it at.
Behind the scenes, the two dealerships talked about the issue, and then the one I bought it from gave me a call and told me they didn't want to put me back in that car. I didn't press them at all, this was all their idea.
Putnam Lexus of Redwood City, CA was where I bought it - they were great!
Car went in on Friday morning, Sat afternoon I had another car.

My experience at both dealerships was excellent, and I think this customer satisfaction is important to Lexus. I would hope you could talk to them about it.

Good luck!
I'm glad you had a good experience, I think I'll wait a bit to see what becomes of the transmission issue. I guess that's why they call it first year jidders.
Old 06-02-06, 08:09 PM
qliu34
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by qliu34
500+ miles so far without any problems. cross my fingers.
update: 800+ miles, no problems yet.
Old 06-02-06, 08:35 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by qliu34
update: 800+ miles, no problems yet.
You know what's sad? That people are getting happy that their brand new Lexus's can run 800 miles without a problem.
Old 06-02-06, 08:44 PM
qliu34
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
You know what's sad? That people are getting happy that their brand new Lexus's can run 800 miles without a problem.
heh heh, it is because most of the tranny issues occur around 500 miles.
Old 06-10-06, 09:54 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Wait! I thought Japan built units did not have the problem; or so did my dealer say!?
Old 06-11-06, 07:33 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Aren't all the ES350 's built in Japan ? DId your dealer elaborate on that comment ?
Old 06-24-06, 10:49 AM
DallasLex
Advanced

Yes they are all built in Japan, I guess I should have rephrased that.
Old 07-12-06, 07:45 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Good news! None of the ES350's should be affected according to Automotive News.

Here's the article:

Bad transmission fastener can lead to limping '07 Toyota Camry
By MARK RECHTIN | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
LOS ANGELES - Just two months into the launch of its redesigned 2007 Camry, Toyota has a problem on its hands.

A fastener in the automatic transmission can loosen, and as a result drivers can lose the use of second and sixth gear.

The vehicle still can limp to a dealership, however. The problem applies only to the models with a V-6 and a six-speed transmission.
About 90 owners have reported the problem out of 5,800 vehicles so equipped, says Toyota spokesman Mike Michels.

Toyota is treating the problem with a technical-service bulletin sent to dealers, not a recall. As a result, owners must wait for the transmission to fail before it can be repaired under warranty.

The incorrectly seated fastener, also called a snap ring, may realign itself during normal driving, Michels said.
Toyota has changed the production process to improve seating of the fastener. The same transmission is used in the redesigned Lexus ES 350, but a later production start date meant the problem was caught before production began.
Old 07-17-06, 03:59 PM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by DallasLex
Good news! None of the ES350's should be affected according to Automotive News.

The same transmission is used in the redesigned Lexus ES 350, but a later production start date meant the problem was caught before production began.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I just had this problem show up today. Same symptoms as other people (check VSC on multi-function display, and the traction control and check engine idiot lights were lit). The car would barely shift out of first, and it would bounce around gears on its own while I limped the 15 miles to my Lexus dealer. Once, at around 20 mph and 4500 RPM the transmission decided to slip itself in a lower gear, enough so that it caught the tires. I swear I heard the tranny curse.

The kicker here, folks, is that mine had nearly 2000 miles on it.

It looks like the dealer is going to replace the transmission rather than replace the car. I suppose I understand since it does have 2k miles on it, but it just doesn't seem like the Lexus thing to do.

Quick Reply: ES350 Recall? (are ES350's impacted by the Camry tranny issue)