rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that means it's test drive time soon?
Old 04-07-06, 06:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I'll get the best test drive of the ES350 the next time my SC is in for maintainence, I'd get to keep it for a whole day
Old 04-07-06, 07:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
personally, i don't see what's the big deal of wood and that it's an indication of luxury. people know me know that i don't really care about the wood inside any luxury cars,
You're not alone, Henry. There are others who think like this, too ( although I am not one of them ). Wood or fake wood alone does not necessarily mean luxury.......especially the awful orange-colored stuff they put in the new Avalon. But done with high-quality and good taste, wood and leather have traditionally been associated with luxury cars...especially British ones.
And there is nothing necessarily un-sporting about wood either.....many of the muscle cars I grew up with back in the 1960s and early 70's, such as the GTO, Dodge Challenger, Mustang, etc.....had nice matte fake-wood paneling on the dash and console....and these were not luxury cars by ANY means.
Now here's where I disagree, however, with this conventional thinking. In my book, cloth seats are preferable to leather. They may not have leather's nice smell, but they are cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter ( modern seat heaters and coolers have solved this to some degree ) and usually offer more grip and support from the fabric's friction...you don't slide around in the seat like you do with leather.
Old 04-07-06, 11:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're not alone, Henry. There are others who think like this, too ( although I am not one of them ). Wood or fake wood alone does not necessarily mean luxury.......especially the awful orange-colored stuff they put in the new Avalon. But done with high-quality and good taste, wood and leather have traditionally been associated with luxury cars...especially British ones.
And there is nothing necessarily un-sporting about wood either.....many of the muscle cars I grew up with back in the 1960s and early 70's, such as the GTO, Dodge Challenger, Mustang, etc.....had nice matte fake-wood paneling on the dash and console....and these were not luxury cars by ANY means.
Now here's where I disagree, however, with this conventional thinking. In my book, cloth seats are preferable to leather. They may not have leather's nice smell, but they are cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter ( modern seat heaters and coolers have solved this to some degree ) and usually offer more grip and support from the fabric's friction...you don't slide around in the seat like you do with leather.
I agree but if your going to do wood do it with class and taste. If its going to be fake, make a damn effort about it. And if its real, don't douse it in lacquor either. I don't like this unfinished wood look either.

Wood in interiors I do like, when done tastefullyl