ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Rattling from front driver's side

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-03, 10:11 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rattling from front driver's side

My friend's 1998 ES300 has a knock coming from the front driver's side strut area. I'm not exactly sure if it's the strut.

What happened is, we had all four struts replaced with new ones. After it was done, we started hearing the rattling. We would get a rattling that sounds like there is a loose socket (the tool) that someone left up there, and every time we hit a bump or go over rough roads, we can hear it rattling. It's a sharp rattling sound.

We later took it back, and they replaced the shock just in case the new shock was bad. It still rattles. Her CV joint boot was leaking, so they replaced that also. It still rattles. The shop also torqued every nut to make sure it wasn't something loose. It still rattles.

We took it to Lexus and they confirmed the sound. They found the upper engine mount to be bad, her front brakes were bad, and they also said the right front strut was bad. The thing is, the rattling comes from the driver's side, but they said it was the right front strut (is the right side the passenger's side). Also, the upper engine mount is on the passenger side.

I will replace the brakes tomorrow, and call to talk to the technician at Lexus. Does anybody have any ideas?
Old 10-07-03, 01:35 PM
binelus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rattling from front driver's side

Originally posted by moshlub
My friend's 1998 ES300 has a knock coming from the front driver's side strut area. I'm not exactly sure if it's the strut.

What happened is, we had all four struts replaced with new ones. After it was done, we started hearing the rattling. We would get a rattling that sounds like there is a loose socket (the tool) that someone left up there, and every time we hit a bump or go over rough roads, we can hear it rattling. It's a sharp rattling sound.

We later took it back, and they replaced the shock just in case the new shock was bad. It still rattles. Her CV joint boot was leaking, so they replaced that also. It still rattles. The shop also torqued every nut to make sure it wasn't something loose. It still rattles.

We took it to Lexus and they confirmed the sound. They found the upper engine mount to be bad, her front brakes were bad, and they also said the right front strut was bad. The thing is, the rattling comes from the driver's side, but they said it was the right front strut (is the right side the passenger's side). Also, the upper engine mount is on the passenger side.

I will replace the brakes tomorrow, and call to talk to the technician at Lexus. Does anybody have any ideas?
check door articulations...Was searching for a rattling problem on previous, thought it was suspension and I was not. Check door articulations.
Old 10-08-03, 12:07 AM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple days ago, while I was replacing the front brake pads, I noticed the outer tie rod end was leaking grease. I replaced it, drove it, and had the same rattle. Then the next day until now (3 days), the sound is gone. If it comes back, I'll check the door articulation like you mentioned.