ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Anybody ever paint there hubs and calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-03, 11:09 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Anybody ever paint there hubs and calipers?

I've got to paint the hubs (definate) and calipers (good possibility) next. The new wheels show to much rust on the hubs and the calipers would look nice the same color.

I was thinking of going with VHT paint (900° paint).
The color would be silver to match the car or black to match the tires. Haven't decided yet.

Has anyone done this, and if so, got any tips?

steviej
Old 07-05-03, 12:04 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

I'll just copy and paste what I posted over on LOC USA

I had the shop that installed my new 17" Milles paint the calipers. The tech and I had hit it off when I was ordering the wheels, so he agreed to paint the calipers during the install as long as I brought my own paint. I used silver engine spray (1500 degrees F, I think). Unfortunately, a couple of weeks later, a caliper got bent from hitting a pothole on the freeway (at least the rim was unscathed, I had it professionally examined , although the CV boot and halfshaft were damaged too and needed to be replaced ). I had the caliper replaced, but the shop didn't have time to repaint it that day (although they gave me a sweet discount--they've been trying to kiss up to me after all the delays on the rims). Luckily, it's brand new, so it just looks a bit darker.

I was going to do the rear rotor hats (the part where the e-brake fits into was rusty), but I knew I was replacing the rear rotors soon anyway (did so on Tuesday).

A buddy saw my calipers, and wanted the same on his Pontiac. We just masked off the fenderwell and things behind the caliper, and sprayed away. Some people recommend pulling the brake pads, but we were concerned about getting the shims perfectly aligned afterwards, so we just masked those, too. We did three coats on each caliper, since that what the tech at the shop said he did to mine. When the weather cools down a bit, I may very well go back and do that replacement caliper on mine.

--------------------
1996 ES300, Black Onyx/Black Interior
17" Mille Miglia Action/Sumitomo HTR+ 215/50-17
Gentex Auto-Dim/Compass/HomeLink Mirror
Old 07-07-03, 08:44 AM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steviej,

Squarehat was giving me some advice on caliper paint in a thread in the lobby several weeks ago. You can check that one out.

I too want go with black caliper paint.

I was wondering, I'm taking the car for service at the Lexus dealer on Thursday to have a new set of rims and tires installed... do you think if I drop off a can of paint the dealer would do it for me?

thanks...
Old 07-07-03, 08:59 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

never hurts to ask. If it is spray, then the calipers usually have to be removed.

TireRack sells stuff that is supposed to be good, but is brushed on.

My Lexus dealer doesn't do any painting or body work. It goes to the "corporate body shop"

steveij
Old 07-08-03, 08:27 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

the tire rack stuff was more than 4 times more expensive than the VHT spray.

Anyway, turns out the rotor/caliper painting will have to wait.
I am getting all new rotors and pads from Lexus at no cost on the 19th. The dreaded brake pulsation problem has fallen upon me.

Turns out, the 02-03 have a material mismatch problem and when the brakes are heated up, they pulsate and if left too long, the rotors will warp. But we knew that cause it has been discussed.

I will paint after that.

steveij
Old 07-14-03, 11:15 AM
zutoo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the shop where I got my wheels paint the calibers, and whatever else was paintable, black. It looked great. I had it done a little less then a year ago and now it is all chipped. They only charged me $30, so when I have a chance I wanna bring the car back and have them repainted. It really does make a big difference.