ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

'02-'05 ES Transmission Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 12:17 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some liked the transmission software update. Some don't. It's kinda like a toss up. I liked it a LOT compared to the lag my car was experiencing. You kinda have to read back through the thread to see different accounts on the tranny update. There's also a copy of the exact document you can take to the dealer to get the car flashed in PDF format back in the thread somewhere. That document would eliminate any confusion between you and the dealer.
Old 08-23-08, 01:52 PM
LW ES300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post AAMCO Power PurgeŽ Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change

I have a 1996 ES300 I just got a few months ago (was Mom's from 29000k until now with 145000 on the clock & I know is has been driven easy). What do you guy think about this. Any better going to a place that "specializes" in transmissions than the dealer. Do dealers even do this work (flush, change, etc) or do they subcontract to a trans shop?

Fluid Change/Maintenance
AAMCO Power PurgeŽ Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change
AAMCO Power PurgeŽ Transmission Flush | AAMCO SafeguardŽ Fluid & Filter Change $99.95 valid unti 08/31/08

Transmission Services: AAMCO Power PurgeŽ Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change
The AAMCO Power PurgeŽ Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change is the most comprehensive transmission maintenance service available anywhere. It’s the service that may help your transmission shift better, longer.

The service includes:
- Complete External Diagnostic Service for your transmission
- 100% extraction of tired, old fluid
- Removal of dirt, grit and abrasives
- Replacement of the filter or cleaning of the screen
- Replacement of the pan gasket
- A check for leaks
- Fill with fresh, clean fluid

If your transmission fluid is dirty or deteriorating, you might be on the way to a transmission problem. An AAMCO Power PurgeŽ Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change may help prevent transmission problems before they happen.
Old 09-25-08, 03:59 PM
lklumb
Driver School Candidate

Default 5 Speed Transmission issues

Okay 02-04 were transmissions were problematic...I 'd like to know what happened in '05??? I'm looking to purchase an '05 and have noted Consumer reports "Balck Mark" for transmission. I'd like some personal experience if at all possible.
Old 09-27-08, 02:30 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lklumb
Okay 02-04 were transmissions were problematic...I 'd like to know what happened in '05??? I'm looking to purchase an '05 and have noted Consumer reports "Balck Mark" for transmission. I'd like some personal experience if at all possible.
I am quite happy with my 05 ES. No noticeable problems whatsoever, and no noticeable "hesitation" issues etc that I am concerned about. However, there were some other 05s that I test drove that did, for whatever reason, seem to have some hesitation issues. So, my personal advice (although others may not agree) is to carefully test drive the car you will buy, and if you are concerned at all, dont buy it and just look at another 05 until you find one that seems to drive fine.
Old 10-11-08, 11:40 AM
aileent
Driver School Candidate

I have a Lexus ES300 bought in 2003. Recently I had a 30000 mi maintenance done at the dealer in Santa Monica. It cost $600. At the time they said my front brake pads were worn. So I also had that replaced. Total cost was $880. I was so upset and that's when I went online and found Club Lexus forum. I also have been living with this hesitation problem which I told my dealer in Oakland about when I purchased the car. I learned to deal with it. However, after reading about the "fix" I asked SM Lexus to do the work while my car was in the shop. I gave them the number that was revised Apr 2005. They did it as a courtesy but I know it was within the 8 year warranty. My car drives worse than before. I might have to get used to it, right? this is my first lexus, actually it was a gift from my children and brother. I could never afford one.
Old 10-13-08, 07:32 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

that sucks...
Old 11-19-08, 07:07 PM
lexuslhs
Driver School Candidate

Default dont buy the 05 es330 transmission is horrible

Originally Posted by lklumb
this transmission is absolutely the worst transmission i have ever had the displeasure of shifting..i am embarrassed to drive people in my car..make sure you give your car a thorough roadtest PRIOR TO YOUR PURCHASE, take it on the highway,get it real warm....you may not feel the hesitaion at first, trust me, you will eventually...STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR, DONT MAKE THE MISTAKE I DID!!
Old 01-28-09, 01:40 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

im still on the fence about getting this '02 ES im looking at... the more i read the worse it gets..

EDIT: found HUGE thread discussing tranny problems on 02-05 ES's here - http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef14656/0

here is what some guys report -
"I seem to have 2 problems:

1) On rapid acceleration, especially from a slow speed, the trans delays a second before kicking in causing the car to die and then lurch forward

2) when slowing down below aprox. 20 mph and then when I apply the gas (slow or fast it doesn't matter) the trans will delay before engaging. I don't have a problem from a complete stop or above 20 mph.

I have also noticed lately when taking my foot off the gas at highway speed the trans does not appear to coast. It feels like the trans is slowing the car down.

I can cause the trans to shudder by shifting from drive to neutral and back to drive. It shudders under approx. 30 mph when going back into drive.

It appears these problem arises when the car has to downshift. "

"The 5 speed transmission on my new '03 (900miles) seems a little strange. If I drive about 35mph and then slow down to about 5mph and than try to accelerate there is a hesitation. It's as if the transmission can not decide on what gear to go into. When it finally does there's a slight lurch forward. Can this be adjusted? I asked my dealer if the '03 model had this problem corrected and he said it was. I guess he was wrong! "

"It's been a couple of months since I received my knew car and I wanted to post some things. To review, I bought an '02 ES 300. Everything about the car was great except the transmission (although the Toyo tires did get quite noisy after 10K miles). The transmission issue I considered to be flat dangerous after having several incidents of power failure with the transmission that put me in danger. Basically the problem was you'd hit the gas, the RPM's would fly up and the car wouldn't go anywhere. The transmission improved by disconnecting the battery which seemed to reset it, and then last October I received a software upgrade which improved things some more, but I was still disappointed because it would still fail at times. Lexus was quite arrogant to deal with right down to my Lemon Law hearing. They wouldn't consider settling and even ignored the states requests for information on the matter. The state rep said that was unusual because most manufacturers try to work with the state and the customer. The judge drove the car with me in the passenger seat and the Lexus Rep in the back seat. He was able to get the transmission to fail twice and then asked the Lexus Rep if he would like to settle or hear his decision. The Lexus Rep agreed to settle. I received a brand new '03 for $2100, a good deal considering this car drops in value about 20% the first year, if you include the sales tax in the original price tag. The Lexus Rep later acknowledged that 12% of purchasers are unhappy with the transmission and that makes me think it's probablly much higher since many people just shut up and accept the problem. "

"..Personally, speaking there's a lot of difference from the '02 to the '03. The '02 acted up mostly when I needed power suddenly and occasionally jerked and slipped in stop and go traffic. Also, the '02 would hang in gear and after a heavy acceleration it would downshift. The '03 slips and surges like crazy in stop and go traffic..... say 5 to 20 mph. Sometimes the shifting clangs so hard my whole car shutters. That's much different than the '02. However, the '03 downshifts annoyingly just like the '02. I should have asked for my money back, but I wasn't trying to be difficult just wanted a good car. I talked to a guy in another state today. He's meeting with Lexus tomorrow and fully expects a load of BS from them. Listening to his problems, they are somewhat different than mine. He says his 87 year old grandmother complained about the car's jerky shifting. Of course, she didn't know anything about a tranny problem. A friend of mine has an '03 and hasn't had any problem with it. I have driven two loaners. One had the problem, not as bad as my '02, and one I didn't notice it. The out of state guy had a similar experience. As to numbers..... the Lexus Rep at my February hearing admitted one in twelve aren't happy with the transmission. If you do the arithmetic that calculates to over 6000 dissatisfied owners with sales of 80,000 by February. I would say it's a lot more than that. My dad asked a lady if she was happy with her '02. She said she was quite happy with it. My dad mentioned the tranny problems and she said "Oh yeah it does that all the time, is it not supposed to?" "

Last edited by rlx101; 01-28-09 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-28-09, 01:47 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

Just take a good test drive man. lol. Either you can tolerate the possible tranny issue or aren't bothered by it at all. You have taken the step in educating yourself about the possible issue with the car. The tranny will not break on you. It's the shift logic that bothers people. If you test drive it carefully using the knowledge you've gained on this thread (and Internet) and you are cool with how it shifts, go for it.
Old 03-11-09, 06:05 PM
stinkstink
Driver School Candidate

After speaking with both the local dealer and Lexus headquarters I am still undecided whether or not I want the update. I have a 2004 ES330 and the only problem with the transmission I have is that jerk I get sometimes between 20-40 mph. I called the local dealer first and asked to speak directly with the Service Manager and I was told since I am no longer in warranty that this update would cost $150. I was surprised since I read on the first page of this thread that it is covered for 8 years or 80k. I called Lexus headquarters and the person I spoke with on the phone kind of knew what I was talking about but she also told me that I needed the dealer to diagnose the problem in order for Lexus headquarters to cover the charges. I called back and spoke with another Service person at the dealer and was told I was in fact under warranty still since it has not been 8 years or 80k miles. I brought my car the next day and waited in the waiting room. Another service consultant came in and wanted to get the "OK" from me to go ahead and do the update since the technician said many customers did not like the end result and the update is irreversible. He also insisted that the warranty was not the 8 years or 80k but the 6/7 years! So now I have three Service consultants telling me three different warranties for the same update. I gave it a few minutes to think about my decision and I said no since I have quite a while until the warranty runs out. I am really confused on whether or not I should get this update done. I have had mixed reviews. The first service consultant said that it can not be worse since it is an update so it can only help. The second one told me it will change the shifting patterns and I may not like it if there is only a small problem right now. What to do?!
Old 03-11-09, 06:32 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

Everything is in this thread man. In the end it's up to you. Personally I think it only improved my car marginally. Others seem to have had more adverse effects that they categorized as negative. Lexus seemed to build every ES's Transmission ECU uniquely yet similar. Pretty weird.
Old 03-15-09, 11:52 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

i had the update performed at Len Stoler Lexus in Owings Mills, MD yesterday...
my service advisor told me that the fix may or may not help the shifting in the car, and that i have to now use premium fuel...
i tanked up on premium, and the hesitation isnt as bad anymore...however, it still has the lazy shifting and odd jerky shift feel sometimes...
im going to get in contact with lexus, but its not bad enough for me to worry about since i love my ES so much...plus, now that i know this is a common issue and not something specific to my car i can rest easy

Last edited by 03 ES; 03-15-09 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-15-09, 07:05 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

You should have been using premium fuel anyway. But yeah my service advisor told me to make sure I used premium fuel too. Regular and mid grade gasoline will not hurt your car but Lexus does not recommend you use either if premium is available.
Old 03-15-09, 11:01 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

i figured as such and ive filled up twice, both times with premium
Old 03-16-09, 03:16 AM
stinkstink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CorLexusES
i had the update performed at Len Stoler Lexus in Owings Mills, MD yesterday...
my service advisor told me that the fix may or may not help the shifting in the car, and that i have to now use premium fuel...
i tanked up on premium, and the hesitation isnt as bad anymore...however, it still has the lazy shifting and odd jerky shift feel sometimes...
im going to get in contact with lexus, but its not bad enough for me to worry about since i love my ES so much...plus, now that i know this is a common issue and not something specific to my car i can rest easy
What I am worried most about is that it will make it WORSE as opposed to doing nothing at all. I do not mind if I try out the new update and it does nothing for the lagging and jerking of the transmission but I am just scared that it will make it worse. Read a lot of replies about this topic where people's RPM's were redlining and I would not like for that to happen. The jerk I get in my car usually happens around 20-40 mph and some days I would not get it at all but some days I would get it repeatedly. The technician drove my car and said my shifting was fine but he would not understand the jerky shifts until he drove it around for a day or two.

Quick Reply: '02-'05 ES Transmission Fix!