ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: Master tint thread
0%
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Official ES Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-02, 12:57 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well here in texas, it's 35% all around. i wouldn't mind it, but i like the whole mirrored look, especially on a white lex. my mom's got a black RX with the stock mirror tint, and it sorta looks a bit too bright for that car. though my friend found some 35% reflective tint, i'm thinking of trying that. what do y'all think? i'm getting it professionally done so no bubbles, ever...
Old 10-26-02, 11:23 PM
zutoo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that you should not mix tint. Anyway, my ES is beige so I got bronze tint. It looks great, really complements the color of the car. 35% front and rear, 50% on the windshield.
Old 10-27-02, 12:10 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You had the windshield tinted? How did that turn out?
Old 10-27-02, 11:40 AM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, how'd the tinted front windshield turn out? Do you still need to wear shades while driving in the sun? Still pull you sun visor down? Do you have any pics of the bronze tint????

SW03ES- nice color, congrats on your decision to with the ES over the GS.
Old 10-27-02, 11:46 AM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by dariusman19
HAHAHAHA......I've got 5% on all my windows,and in the past year i've never been pulled over once for them.

(look at Sig)
Where do you drive? I drive very aggressively, mainly on suburban roads and when I turn on my headlights/sidemarkers/fogs/interior-neon-pulsar the car is prominently noticeable.
Old 10-27-02, 03:14 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Originally posted by XenonES3

SW03ES- nice color, congrats on your decision to with the ES over the GS.
Thanks a lot Xenon.
Old 10-27-02, 07:55 PM
zexen
Advanced

wow i just noticed that pic of you new es too SW. nice color... a nice deep tone. look great!
Old 10-27-02, 11:39 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Thanks Zeta. Thats not actually mine, just a picture I found of it in the right color. Its actually a lot deeper in person! When mine comes in I'll get out there with my digicam and see if I can get y'all some good shots.

Some guy in the GS forum just slammed it, saying I should pick another color unless I'm over 60 ?!?!?

I think I'd best stay outta there lol. Guess I'm not in the same league as those guys

Last edited by SW03ES; 10-27-02 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-14-02, 10:00 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Default ES factory tint

After seeing it from a distance, many people ask me whether I have the windows on my ES 35% tinted (the windows are 'stock' at the moment). I wonder what Lexus applied on the windows when it rolled out the factory?

Also, when it rains, the windows of most newer cars have a visible greenish tint. My ES stays the way it is.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?
Old 11-15-02, 04:22 PM
EastCoastES
Driver

alot of people ask me if my windows are tinted. It only looks that way from a distance. Im assuming that Lexus puts a light film on the window, or maybe its lightly stained glass. Who knows, but I do know what youre talking about....
Old 11-15-02, 04:41 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The glass is very lightly tinted from the factory.
Old 12-25-02, 10:14 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question To tint or not to Tint, and some questions

The windows on all cars I have owned have been factory tint, usually bronze.

I am curious about tinting my '02 ES within MA state legal limits.

1. The source of the tint is a professional shop owned by a friend who is gonna cut me a deal and give me a lifetime warranty. So that part is reputable.

2. If it is done to MA regualtions and I travel to a state with different regulations, do I now fall under that state's regs? Could I get in trouble if the regs require less tint or does it go by where the car is registered?

3. If I were in Florida or So. Cal, or Texas, there would be no question, I would tint. I'm in MA where it is not always sunny all the time and can be really crappy and grey. How is the tinted window to look out of on a cloudy day? Does it acutally impair or reduce your vision?

4. How is it to look out of at night, even with HIDs. Is vision reduced?

I guess I should find a friend who has a tinted car and take it for a ride.

TO TINT, OR NOT TO TINT....THAT IS THE QUESTION.

Thanks for the help.

steviej
Old 12-25-02, 10:27 PM
zexen
Advanced

i'm pretty sure the tinting laws apply to wherever the car is registered. correct me if i'm wrong guys.

having tinted windows on a cloudy day is almost like the evening when the sun just dissapeared. the inside can still look out very clearly... tint is mainly used to reduce the amount of light going into the car. it shouldn't change your vision outwards by much. maybe a bit of a gray shade, but other than that... with HID's ... i see no problem.
Old 12-25-02, 11:18 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

As Zeta said, you should have no problems from tinting. Tint laws apply to state where car is registered. I've experimented with tint levels ranging from 5% to 50% and shades such as mirror, bronze, and smoke.

With 5% it was ok to see at night, but I did have problems when backing out of parking lots.

I'm seriously considering a professional tint that will last now. Tinting front windows is illegal in Illinois, so I was wondering what you guys thought of this plan:

---REAR WINDOW- 20%
---REAR SIDE WINDOWS- 35%
---FRONT SIDE WINDOWS- 50%

This way it eases the transition when looking around the car and would not attract attention from COPS. I hate the limo-tint on rear three---no tint on front look.
Old 12-25-02, 11:19 PM
NoLexNoSex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey stevieJ...if you have a lighter shade ES, not black or dark blue....i really think that the factory tint that come w/ the RX is hot....you know...the silver/greenish tint that looks like it reflects the color of the glass...i think that's hotter than putting straight black tint on your windows...but that's only if you have a lighter colored car...i mean i was thinkin about gettin those kind of tints for my golden pearl.

Quick Reply: Official ES Tint Thread - add your pics here!