ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Finally clearing my corners!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-03, 08:11 AM
SlashBecks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally clearing my corners!!

After months of looking at other people's experiences with clearing their turn signals, I've decided that I can't let the Lexus emblem intimidate me, it's a car and therefore can be worked on...thanks to the many that have posted detailed instructions on this site with pictures, I can say that I should be able to pull this off with relative ease given how much advice this site has i hope i don't end up cracking or melting something...i'm gonna post before and after pictures soon...

since i'm opening up the lens, i'm gonna clean it with meguiar's plastic cleaner and follow it with the polish...does anyone have any thoughts on something that should precede this for non-fine scratches, as I seem to have quite a few of those...sanding perhaps?

oh yeah, i've been looking for anyone that took pictures when they cleared their taillights, as in a step by step kind of thing, haven't found anything...help anyone? and from what I recall, these cleared taillights don't really look cleared, in comparison to the newer ESs, was that perhaps just the picture i saw or is there a general agreement about this?
Old 06-09-03, 09:46 AM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hometown.aol.com/seanmcelligott/
Old 06-09-03, 11:17 AM
SlashBecks
Rookie

thanks for that link! question though, do i need any extra silicone to make sure it seals up properly? or does the existing silicone do the trick?
Old 06-09-03, 02:23 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Get a tube of windshield silicone from your local auto parts store. I put a thick line of it on the points where the 2 parts of the headlight meet, all the way around the light when i take mine apart. While you're clearing the corners, windex the inner side of the plastic lens -- youll probably notice a difference while driving at night.
Old 06-09-03, 03:43 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

thanks mcelligott, i got my driver side headlight done...took like 4 1/2 hours but only because i didn't want to break anything...anyhow i'm loving the look! any suggestions for a white bulb in place of the amber? oh yeah i used plastic cleaner and polish on the inside of the lens, it's looking good...when i was sealing the light back the two ends didn't meet as close as they originally were, i guess this is just a question of reheating repeatedly and pushing the ends together right...
Old 06-09-03, 04:03 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SlashBecks
thanks mcelligott, i got my driver side headlight done...took like 4 1/2 hours but only because i didn't want to break anything...anyhow i'm loving the look! any suggestions for a white bulb in place of the amber? oh yeah i used plastic cleaner and polish on the inside of the lens, it's looking good...when i was sealing the light back the two ends didn't meet as close as they originally were, i guess this is just a question of reheating repeatedly and pushing the ends together right...
Looks like you're on the right track. Just take your amber bulb into autozone and ask them to show you what bulbs will fit (i'm not sure what the part number is offhand). Oh, you may get a ticket for having a non-amber bulb, but I'm not sure what your state's vehicle laws are. If you are siliconing the lights make sure you let them dry for at least a 1/2 hour after you apply it.
Old 06-09-03, 04:32 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

yup turns out it isn't legal to have white bulbs...i could just take a risk, or leave it as amber, clears would look so much better though...sigh...

thanks for your help!!
Old 06-12-03, 05:50 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

for anyone interested...here are the pics for the clear corners...

before:
Attached Thumbnails Finally clearing my corners!!-rightheadbefore.jpg  
Old 06-12-03, 05:51 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

after
Attached Thumbnails Finally clearing my corners!!-rightheadafter.jpg  
Old 06-12-03, 05:51 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

both finished...
Attached Thumbnails Finally clearing my corners!!-bothdone.jpg  
Old 06-12-03, 05:52 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

thanks to everyone that contributed to this post, as well as those people that tried these things out with their cars and helped create proper tutorials for others to follow!!
Old 06-12-03, 07:50 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice clean pics of your clear headlights, especially those on a '95-'96. Now clean up the dishes in the kitchen!
Old 06-13-03, 05:04 PM
badams
Pole Position

Those look very nice!

I want to clear mine, it is just a matter of finding the time. Besides mine are so dirty and grimy I really want to clean them up inside and out. Yours look brand new!

Great job!

badams
Old 06-14-03, 05:37 AM
fog80
Driver

ive been wanting to clear mines for a while now but im not sure what i need to unscrew to get the headlight assembly out.

ps. i have a '96
Old 06-14-03, 08:48 AM
SlashBecks
Rookie

fog80, to get the assembly out of the car, you first have to pop a bunch of those plastic screw-type things, that hold a long black piece of plastic down over the radiator and headlights. Once that plastic piece is off, there are three bolts per headlight. If you bend down and face the headlight, you will two bolts (on the right of the headlight if it's the left headlight you're taking out, and vice versa) after those two bolts, stand up and find a bolt connected to the frame of the car. This bolt will have a black plastic joint that is directly connected to the headlight. Getting these three bolts out will allow the headlights to be removed, but before you do that, make sure the high and low beam cables are disconnected from the light. Pull the headlight out, but not too fast, 'cause you still have to take the turn signal cable off, you'll be able to do this once the headlight is out a few inches. Disconnect that cable and you're ready to put it in the oven!

Quick Reply: Finally clearing my corners!!