ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

a toyota camry or... LEXUS ES300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-03, 08:18 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a toyota camry or... LEXUS ES300?

sure, the es300 uses the same engine and tranny as the camry, it's known as a toyota in japan as the windom, the trunk lever, wiper **** and turn signal switch are exactly the same. add more sound deading material on an avalon or solara and it might almost feel like a lexus. now compare an es300 to bmw 3 series. sure the 3 series is better in performance but take a look in the interior and the plastics look cheap. even parts of the bumper and the door sills have that black plastic thing going. the lexus es300 on the other hand, has that glassy-look door pillar that looks like the ones on a mercedes s class and the metal trim encompassing the doors. the side mirrors are painted w 3 layer paint, unlike in the bimmer.

so whats my point? if a camry and es300 are almost the "same car" would anyone who owns a bmw or mercedes take you seriously if you compare those cars to a... camry? the insurance on my bare to the bone 98 lex is much more than a brand new 2003 solara with all the options available (i live in nyc so insurance may vary in other states) kids in class ask what car i have, i say "lexus" and they think im rich. i go to a car shop to inquire about bulbs for a lexus and the owner takes a look at me b/c im young and say "damnnnn!" and the girls... what can i say? when you have a lexus, the girls come to you. the guy wid the camry, he can't feel that.
Old 05-03-03, 07:24 PM
MCV20
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not only girls...
but people who fixing your car up would also charge u more ..because u drive a "LEXUS"....and think you are richer...
Old 05-03-03, 11:04 PM
ESES
Driver

Man where do you guys find the girls that get's impressed when you drive a Lexus?
Lexus is nothing special here where i live...
Old 05-04-03, 12:08 AM
MCV20
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ahahha...
i always saying that i m driving a "overpriced" toyota camry.....

Old 05-04-03, 03:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Hehe good point. Most of the young kids here are driving older stock or somewhat modded ES300 because they just recieved their parent's hand me down Lexus (with their parents name still on the registration and insurance card). Yep, that's really impressing the ladies now.

Just because some drive a Lexus doesn't imply that one is rich or are better than the guy driving next to them. People with that sort of ignorant attitude are the same people who have an inferiority complex in life...so they have to resort to making comparisons to make them feel better about themselves. If people really did care and know what's up, they'd probably be more impressed if one had a more substantial vehicle like an SC, LS or GS...not an entry level ES sorry to say.

Last edited by flipside909; 05-04-03 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-04-03, 02:01 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when it all comes down to it, I would rather date the girl that is impressed by the driver, not by what is being driven.

enjoy life and people for who they are, not for what they choose to drive.

sj
Old 05-04-03, 05:21 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Originally posted by flipside909
Hehe good point. Most of the young kids here are driving older stock or somewhat modded ES300 because they just recieved their parent's hand me down Lexus (with their parents name still on the registration and insurance card). Yep, that's really impressing the ladies now.

Just because some drive a Lexus doesn't imply that one is rich or are better than the guy driving next to them. People with that sort of ignorant attitude are the same people who have an inferiority complex in life...so they have to resort to making comparisons to make them feel better about themselves. If people really did care and know what's up, they'd probably be more impressed if one had a more substantial vehicle like an SC, LS or GS...not an entry level ES sorry to say.
what do u mean by "sorry to say?" lexus es300 may be entry level but its still not cheap! it may not be as impressive as the more expensive models but those who know cars resepcect it because it's practically a bulletproof car and made in japan. the american-made camrys might be the best cars made in america today but is still not as good the "original" as for "inferiority complex" take off that sig of yours, last time i checked, this forum was for the Lexus ES300, not camry-based cars! go moderate that sc3 forum of yours with the 5 memebers it has...
Old 05-04-03, 05:49 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by steviej
when it all comes down to it, I would rather date the girl that is impressed by the driver, not by what is being driven.

enjoy life and people for who they are, not for what they choose to drive.

sj
Damn straight.... I completely agree.

On the other topic:

When people ask what I drive, I DON'T say I drive a Lexus. I say I drive an 8 year old ES300. Let them figure it who makes the ES300.

If I said I drive a Lexus, they'd probably assume I'm pushin' a $65K SC430. On top of that, when you are young, you sound arrogant and condescending saying "I drive a Lexus".

Be humble.

Girls are impressed when they see my car in person. They notice for themselves that it's a Lexus. I don't have to tell them. And that.... makes it all the more better.

Peace-
Old 05-04-03, 05:52 PM
NVICTIS
Driver

Default Ouch

Ouch!!!!!! (except isn't that a solara??) Either way a very ballzy comment. (flip) Also, people are people and are going to be material and judgemental no matter what you tell them. I just say a Lexus when they ask what I drive and after the oooohhhhhs and aaaaahhhhhhs, I tell them it's just a 95, but they are still impressed for the fact that it's a lex. Also, I am proud to drive a lex but I know I only paid 7k for it, so I don't have a big head. I am happy to say that I'm only 19 and the car is fully paid off (by me alone) and I look forward to many more years with this car.

Last edited by NVICTIS; 05-04-03 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-04-03, 06:28 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Default Re: Ouch

Originally posted by NVICTIS
Ouch!!!!!! (except isn't that a solara??) Either way a very ballzy comment.
u wanna see ballzy....

what's a camry solara doing in a lexus show/meet??? i can understand the love people have for their cars when they take pics or wash their car every week but entering a basically stock-looking solara in a lexus event? now thats love! u have a nice car flipside909, there's no denying that. this forum is for those who experience driving their lexus es300 on a day-to-day basis. for some it could be their first car, a daily driver, a car their parent's let them drive, or a car they could only afford because the gs costs 10g more. the forum gives those who drive es300s an oppoturnity to share problems that are encountered, prices to pay for paint, stereo installations, lexus warranties, and other things specific to an es300. you may have a wealth of knowledge about the es cars and any advice u give are greatly appreciated. but the fact of the matter is, the top of the forum says

>> ClubLexus Forums >> Lexus Models >> ES300 Model
Old 05-04-03, 08:14 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Ok. About the insurance...

Duh which car has a higher thieft/break in rate... Asolara, or a lux car? That's a no brainer... :\

As far as the women... Once they mature beyond (a round about) high school level... A nice car is a nice car. Anyone woman (or man to be fair) picked up solely by a material object is simply sad. How much more superficial and immature can it get???

Oh... And you'll findafter high school, very few people could care less what you drive, it's who you are that will bring the opposite sex to you, not a better than average car...
Old 05-04-03, 08:16 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Followup...

You'll find in real life (or college) you'll be picking up people by being funny, comfortable, and confident with yourself. No amount of key flashing will convience someone to be with you. The best you can come out in a sintuation like that is wasting money on drinks for nearly nothing in return...
Old 05-04-03, 09:01 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Ouch

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FLiP Sp33d

. . . . this forum is for those who experience driving their lexus es300 on a day-to-day basis. for some it could be their first car, a daily driver, a car their parent's let them drive, or a car they could only afford because the gs costs 10g more. the forum gives those who drive es300s an oppoturnity to share problems that are encountered, prices to pay for paint, stereo installations, lexus warranties, and other things specific to an es300. . . . .

I DON'T agree with this. It has been said too many times to members that feel they have to leave because they sold their ES or Lexus that "You DO NOT have to own a Lexus or specifically an ES to be a part of this forum or website. You need only APPRECIATE Lexus." Granted, there are other forums specifically for Toyota and there other sites for Lexus.

If we talk nuts and bolts, many or our Lexus parts do say Toyota, and also to be noted in flipsides sig, is the exact same engine (1MZ-FE) and the exact same chassis (MCV10, 20 or 30).

As for headings at the top of each forum, it does not say ES OWNERS or ES DRIVERS, now does it?

I am sure the Nissan/Infinity people and the Honda/Acura people and have the same difference of opinions in their forums.

sorry, but it had to be said.
steveij

Last edited by steviej; 05-04-03 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-05-03, 01:17 AM
LexFather

I don't give a rat's **** if flipside909 drives a 1980 Toyota Starlet. Please RESPECT one another. He has contributed much valuable information to the ES 300 forum (he is a moderator) BECAUSE the Solara and ES 300 are similar in many ways.

Besides, the freaking ES 300 is a freaking Toyota WIndom in Japan.

steviej, thank you for your insight.

BTW, it's weird both you you flipped out and both your handles begin with filp. Be cool.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-05-03 at 01:18 AM.