ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 Lexus ES300 Brake and ABS warning lights come on

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-15, 11:23 AM
tzhangb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Lexus ES300 Brake and ABS warning lights come on

Hi, I have a 2002 Lexus ES300 at 110K miles, the car has been running great.

This past winter in Jan when the temperature was -20~30C below zero, the Brake and ABS warning lights came on a few times. The car had been up to its maintenance schedule and the brake pads were fairly new, I thought it might be because of the deep freezing temperature so I really didn’t pay much attention, especially when after the car ran 5~10 minutes and I restarted the engine, both lights would come off. And the car has been ok for the past 3~4 months.

Recently this week, the ABS and Brake lights came on and off again. The both come on at the same time when the car is first started, but would be off when I stop the engine and start again (sometimes I do this waiting for green lights at intersections). But today they would stay on even I re start the car many times.

The brake works fine and brake fluid level in the master cylinder is ok as well. I haven’t noticed any difference in terms of braking performance. The odd thing is these lights both come on and off at the same time.

What could be the problem? Is this a known issue? Anyone on this forum has experienced anything similar? Many thanks.
Old 05-27-15, 01:37 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting, I haven't heard anyone having this issue with our 4ES. I would do a complete reset to the system when you have the opportunity, simply by disconnecting the battery for a good 20 minutes or so. If that doesn't do the trick than you should probably have it looked at and scanned for any error codes/issues. You don't want to mess around with the brake system or risk serious injury or malfunction!!!

Double check your brake lines and fluid levels too.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_05_02.pdf
Old 05-27-15, 07:02 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

If you've got a code reader or Techstream, download those ABS codes. It could be a faulty sensor intermittently acting up.
Old 05-28-15, 05:35 AM
tzhangb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Megafast13
Interesting, I haven't heard anyone having this issue with our 4ES. I would do a complete reset to the system when you have the opportunity, simply by disconnecting the battery for a good 20 minutes or so. If that doesn't do the trick than you should probably have it looked at and scanned for any error codes/issues. You don't want to mess around with the brake system or risk serious injury or malfunction!!!

Double check your brake lines and fluid levels too.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_05_02.pdf
Thank you Megafast. I did the battery disconnect for about 30 min while we had supper. When I got it reconnected, the same problem with the two warning lights coming on. Also I checked the brake fluid level, it's well above 'MAX'.

Also, thanks for the PDF reference file. I think that's very helpful (I really haven't looked at the manual for years, and I will post the progress.
Old 05-28-15, 05:37 AM
tzhangb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
If you've got a code reader or Techstream, download those ABS codes. It could be a faulty sensor intermittently acting up.
I will head for Autozone to read the code. I hope that will reveal something. Thanks.