ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

3VZ-FE distributor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 03:39 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3VZ-FE distributor replacement

Does it have to be as complicated as the service manuals make it sound to replace the distributor (cap, rotor, housing etc) on a 3VZ-FE model ES???

Is use of a timing light and tachometer required??? Can a simple removal and replacement be done using a bit of care and noting and marking certain positions, orientations and what nots??

I had a look at a couple of posts from people replacing the distributor on Lexus SC models and it seemed pretty simple not nearly as much of a major performance as the FSM makes it sound on the 3VZ...

I don't have a timing light, or tachometer, or crank shaft tool... will it be possible for me to do or will I have to get some or all of these tools?
Old 04-28-15, 10:17 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,686 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Why are you looking to replace the dizzy? There is very little in there to go bad it does not contain a coil unlike some other Toyota engines. But if you still want to do this -
  • Remove airbox
  • Remove distributor cap
  • Rotate engine so rotor is facing vertical
  • Remove/replace distributor
  • Install cap
  • Install airbox
  • Set timing
You will need a timing light, yes you can mark the distributor but the chances of you getting the timing correct are small you will get close but very likely not close enough. To set the timing check the under hood sticker.
Old 04-28-15, 03:54 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

yes, you can replace a dizzy without a timing light. No, the timing won't be correct afterwards. But the car will run, usually fairly well if you're careful. Fortunately, goodwill is still available in spades so you just drop by a local mechanic, and ask very nicely if you can swap a box of beer (decent stuff) for them to set the timing for you. I've never been turned down yet.

you just set the engine up using a power bar to be at I think it's TDC1, it might be BDC1. Then make the exact location of the dizzy in it's slot. also take a photo on your phone from directly above. (no angle). Then take the cap off. Take a photo. Install the new dizzy in EXACTLY the same position. You will be out about 5-10 degrees in the end. it will run. perfectly fine. but will be short on power. usually at that point I get out my timing light and set the timing, you'll need to visit someone. or call the AA. they do it too.

Last edited by ES300NZ; 04-28-15 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-28-15, 06:21 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Why are you looking to replace the dizzy? There is very little in there to go bad it does not contain a coil unlike some other Toyota engines. But if you still want to do this -
  • Remove airbox
  • Remove distributor cap
  • Rotate engine so rotor is facing vertical
  • Remove/replace distributor
  • Install cap
  • Install airbox
  • Set timing
You will need a timing light, yes you can mark the distributor but the chances of you getting the timing correct are small you will get close but very likely not close enough. To set the timing check the under hood sticker.
I've done a couple of the tests on the ignitor and it's looking like it and the coil are ok....

I'm going out to pick a part so thought I'd just grab a distributor while I was there... I'm going down to car shortly to do resistance tests on the distributor connector... I'm not sure if I can do the other test (air gap)..

I should probably replace the battery first also as I think it's screwed now..
Old 04-28-15, 07:59 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
I've done a couple of the tests on the ignitor and it's looking like it and the coil are ok....

I'm going out to pick a part so thought I'd just grab a distributor while I was there... I'm going down to car shortly to do resistance tests on the distributor connector... I'm not sure if I can do the other test (air gap)..

I should probably replace the battery first also as I think it's screwed now..
this might seem silly, but check the earth straps, and connections. It's amazing the issues that can cause.