ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Sudden lurching...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 02:32 PM
vinceseg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden lurching...

Occassionally the 05 ES330 I bought for the wife lurches when you step on the gas. Seems to happen more when coming down in speed then hitting the gas. Say at 25-30mph, but it also has happened off the "line". I'm not taking about hammering the pedal either.

Was thinking new tranny fluid and perhaps rear end and see from there.

I do have a Lexus 4yr/50K on it that I got in December so that isn't the real issue if it's the drive train.

I'd just like to fix it.

Any ideas?

V
Old 04-22-15, 03:45 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

please explain what you mean by 'lurch' .. in a bit more detail.

- it wont be the automatic transmission fluid, but change it anyway if you want
- not sure what you mean by 'rear end'.

if you don't 'need' to fix this yourself it would far easier to take to the dealership. I'm thinking it could easily be alot of different things which someone would need to physically check.
Old 04-23-15, 06:06 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Unfortunately the transmission lurching is "normal" for Toyota/ Lexus vehicles during this era.

The 02-06 ES was notorious for this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...on-fix-17.html
Old 04-28-15, 07:24 AM
vinceseg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Unfortunately the transmission lurching is "normal" for Toyota/ Lexus vehicles during this era.

The 02-06 ES was notorious for this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...on-fix-17.html
I haven't read every page on there but I assume there is no software "fix" to correct this issue? Nothing I can do?
Old 04-28-15, 07:42 AM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be from a dirty intake maybe clean your throttle body etc.
Old 04-28-15, 10:00 AM
Bofin
Driver School Candidate

I concur with speedkar9.
Old 04-28-15, 11:33 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 06 ES330 and it lurches during on-off-on throttle.
I read/heard it is "normal". I just live with it.....
Old 04-28-15, 02:59 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

There are some things you can check/do. I was able to mitigate it little by little with each change and it's not bothersome now:

a) Synthetic ATF, like MaxLife, Mag1 synthetic, etc. Swap out all the old stuff:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...lush-pics.html

b) Remove bolt and dust shield and inspect rubber bushing in the upper torque strut (dogbone mount). Replace with one from Ebay, RockAuto, (<$20) etc. (dealer prices are >$100) if it is torn.

c) Check your lower motor mounts, particularly front center.

d) Pull battery for a few minutes after all that and let PCU re-learn shift points and drive gently.

I did all of these things incrementally and each one contributed to lessening it until it was not a big issue.

I haven't read every page on there but I assume there is no software "fix" to correct this issue? Nothing I can do?
I believe there was a software "fix" though it was more a hack/work-around and not a real fix. If you complained loudly enough, they would re-flash it and it changed shift points though the fundamentals of the problem was the mounting arrangement. And the hack dropped the MPGs a lot and that annoyed a lot of people, too.

Last edited by Oro; 04-28-15 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-30-15, 04:49 PM
vinceseg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oro
There are some things you can check/do. I was able to mitigate it little by little with each change and it's not bothersome now:

a) Synthetic ATF, like MaxLife, Mag1 synthetic, etc. Swap out all the old stuff:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...lush-pics.html

b) Remove bolt and dust shield and inspect rubber bushing in the upper torque strut (dogbone mount). Replace with one from Ebay, RockAuto, (<$20) etc. (dealer prices are >$100) if it is torn.

c) Check your lower motor mounts, particularly front center.

d) Pull battery for a few minutes after all that and let PCU re-learn shift points and drive gently.

I did all of these things incrementally and each one contributed to lessening it until it was not a big issue.

I believe there was a software "fix" though it was more a hack/work-around and not a real fix. If you complained loudly enough, they would re-flash it and it changed shift points though the fundamentals of the problem was the mounting arrangement. And the hack dropped the MPGs a lot and that annoyed a lot of people, too.
So you don't recommend I do this? I have a dealer appt tommorow.

Here is what is removed by the latest revision TC004-03R (please note, these are based on my observations and other members may have other experiences):

1. The long delay and ultra high revs of the engine that occured when you stomped on the gas pedal. Say you motoring along at 25-35 mph and go to pass someone, you stomp the pedal, the engine races to 6k rpm but you go nowhere, the tranny doesn't downshift, nothing. A second or two later, the tranny wakes up and downshifts one gear too many and off you go. This problem is gone.

2. The constant gear hunting at 40-45 mph. The tranny wants to go into 5th gear but the speed does not seem fast enough, so you get this faint shutter or joggle. Speed up and the joggle goes away, slow down and the tranny drops to 4th and the joggle goes away.

Here is what results from the latest revision.
1. The tranny takes a little longer (milliseconds) to kick down to lower gear than people are comfortable with. You slow down rapidly to almost a stop and then hit the gas to rapidly speed up, the car bucks more than most people are comfortable with.

2. The tranny does not seem to stay in 2nd gear very long. On very rapid acceleration it seems as if it almost goes from 1st to second. It doesn't but the time spent in second is quick.

I was able to adapt to both verisons and personally am more comfortable with the latest revision than the original programming.

mbud, here is the pdf file that has the 4/05 revison. click and print it.

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...#ixzz3Yq7EfSSQ
Old 04-30-15, 05:56 PM
pauloil
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my solution is to not push on the gas pedal with any force. I love how fast my ES05 accelerates when I hardly push on the pedal! it is so smooth