ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Help! Brake goes to the floor after caliper change

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 09:49 AM
navdeepasi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Brake goes to the floor after caliper change

Hi all,

This weekend I got around to changing all the shocks/springs with monroe quick-struts, the stabilizer link bars, as well as all 4 calipers, rotors and pads.

The suspension feels great.

However I have a problem with the brakes. The reason I changed the calipers in the first place was because one caliper was stuck, the pads on the left driver side were worn but right front were almost new. So I just changed all the calipers because that caliper was stuck, and the boot was pretty badly torn.

Before all the work the brakes were very squishy and most of the braking would occur at the end of the pedal motion, but still had a bit of resistance throughout, just more at the end.
After the work, the pedal goes to the floor when the car is on and near the end I get resistance and it brakes. It pulls left when I brake hard, and I can see brake dust on the front left wheel, but not really any of the rest. When the ignition is on, but the engine is off, it builds up a bit of resistance at the top of the pedal motion, but still not that much, and then it goes away once the engine is on (that's when it goes straight to the floor then gets resistance)

First thing I did was re-bleed the brakes, rear right, rear left, front right, front left. There was no air in the line at some point and I pretty much did it twice. I did not let the fluid drop below the min level as there was 3 of us doing it. One person pumping, one person controlling the bleeder, and one person adding fluid.

I'm really lost as to what the problem could be. I know the fluid is getting to the caliper since it's definately coming out of the bleeder. Everything is installed correctly, the bleeders are above th banjo bolts, there's no leaks I can find. I don't think it's the master cylinder since I get pedal feel towards the end (from my understanding a bad master cylinder would have the reverse problem).

Any thoughts? I'm thinking maybe I should take the calipers off, get someone to hit the brakes and push them calipers out, then push them back before re-installing and then try bleeding again? A lot of posts suggest issues with the master cylinder but I don't think that is the issue since it doesn't loose pressure at the end (i.e., if I'm stopped with the brakes on, it doesn't roll forward and I don't have to pump for it to stop, it will stay stopped but just at the end of pedal motion)

Cheers. Any help is much much appreciated

Last edited by navdeepasi; 04-20-15 at 10:13 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-20-15, 03:09 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

sounds like the brake booster is stuffed, or leaking badly. but it could also be
- an issue with the master cylinder,
- the ABS unit.
Old 04-20-15, 04:58 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

how low did the brake fluid reservoir get while bleeding the brakes the first time?

It sounds like you have air trapped in the ABS unit. I'm not familiar with the method Toyota/Lexus deals with this but other manufacturers plug in and pulse the ABS unit to assist with the bleeding.
Old 04-20-15, 05:09 PM
pauloil
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you did a good job with home bleeding, so take it in for professional help to clear the abs
Old 04-20-15, 07:02 PM
navdeepasi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES300NZ
sounds like the brake booster is stuffed, or leaking badly. but it could also be
- the ABS unit.
What could the problem be with the abs unit? would this cause the pulling issue (seems like front left is braking the hardest)? Any way to take care of this myself? I spent so many hours fixing everything up I'd really like to get the satisfaction of completing it myself.
Old 04-20-15, 07:06 PM
navdeepasi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
how low did the brake fluid reservoir get while bleeding the brakes the first time?

It sounds like you have air trapped in the ABS unit. I'm not familiar with the method Toyota/Lexus deals with this but other manufacturers plug in and pulse the ABS unit to assist with the bleeding.
I never let the fluid get to the point of letting air in the master cylinder. It was never below the low level. Any idea how I can get the air out of the ABS unit myself? Now that I think about it the first time i hit the brakes it seemed like the abs went off prematurely, didn't really happen again.
Old 04-20-15, 07:07 PM
navdeepasi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES300NZ
- the ABS unit.
Anyway to diagnose one from the other?
Old 04-20-15, 07:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Brake booster cannot cause a soft brake pedal and I've never seen an ABS unit do this either. So in my view you only have two possible issues, trapped or a bad master cylinder. Your symptoms sound more like a bad master.

There is another possibility a collapsed brake lane will cause a soft pedal but the mount your pedal is sinking seems a bit much for a bad line to be causing.
Old 04-20-15, 07:32 PM
navdeepasi
Driver School Candidate

I found this pdf on draining the abs, does this look right for a 97 es300? here is the linnk: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...WwS8tT-Zgb4yoA
Old 04-20-15, 07:38 PM
navdeepasi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Brake booster cannot cause a soft brake pedal and I've never seen an ABS unit do this either. So in my view you only have two possible issues, trapped or a bad master cylinder. Your symptoms sound more like a bad master.

There is another possibility a collapsed brake lane will cause a soft pedal but the mount your pedal is sinking seems a bit much for a bad line to be causing.
If there was a collapsed line would fluid still come out when I open the bleeder?
Old 04-20-15, 07:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Yes a line can collapse internally which means it will balloon under pressure. It's not very common though. I've never had to bleed an ABS unit even when the system was completely drained, worst case I went on a gravel road at low speed and stomped on the brake to get any air to move out of the ABS unit.
Old 04-20-15, 07:49 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

it's a strange set of symptoms.
- a bad hose might explain it, if it was expanding.
- the thing that gets me is it sounds like there was an issue already, because he started with an imbalance in his first prose.
Old 04-21-15, 03:52 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by navdeepasi
I never let the fluid get to the point of letting air in the master cylinder. It was never below the low level. Any idea how I can get the air out of the ABS unit myself? Now that I think about it the first time i hit the brakes it seemed like the abs went off prematurely, didn't really happen again.
Hmm, it does sound like you properly bled your system, but your symptoms suggest air in the line.
One other thing is to check your brake booster vac hose. If it is disconnected from the vac source or the signal is weak, it can be difficult to operate the brakes.

Sorry, i don't know how to cycle the ABS unit yet on a Toyota/Lexus. On a Subaru, they have a diagnostic harness with grounding pins to cycle the abs unit if the Subaru Select Monitor is unavailable.
I'm still researching if Toyota has a similar procedure for the DIY'er. If you come across the procedure..please share.

Last edited by fastnoypi; 04-21-15 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-21-15, 07:19 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps you have air in master cylinder, might have to bench bleed master cylinder.
Old 04-21-15, 02:00 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

I was thinking about this, this morning.

- I bet one chamber in the master cylinder has stopped producing as much pressure as it used too, so one side is locking up long before the other even develops pressure.

Quick Reply: Help! Brake goes to the floor after caliper change