ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

93 ES Radio destruction and a plea for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-03, 04:04 PM
embelo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 93 ES Radio destruction and a plea for suggestions

before you read, understand that i'm a fool who broke his own radio.

my volume **** was busted, and it was kinda working, but I decided to try and fix it myself. i'm pretty good with electronics and stuff, but this one just didn't go well. i got the radio/AC set out just fine, and took the actual black face off the radio to get to the inside circuitry. As i pulled the face off the radio, all i heard was RIPPPPPPPPPPPP. i managed to rip through a bus cable set, the set of wires connecting the buttons on the face to the circuit boards inside. the bus cables have like 35 or so wires inside, and i tore straight through them. there's a slight chance i can reassemble the wires, but it's pretty doubtful. and even if i get the wires back together right, i still don't have a precise enough solder iron set to solder wires to the board.

and with that, comes my plea for help.

the way I see it, i have 3 options, only two of them are really possible:

1) I try and put the thing back together.

2) I find someone who has added an aftermarket deck to their 92-96 lex and wants to unload their old radio (or i get lucky and find a junkyard where some unfortunate guy sent his trashed lex) anyone out there have an old deck?

or 3) I buy an aftermarket deck (my roomie has a connection to some mp3 sony decks at a good price). In that case, (i know it's been posted here before, i just never wrote it down) which company puts out the bracket for the early ES? anyone know of a wiring harness? i don't really wanna slice and dice my wires if i can avoid it.

Any suggestions would be helpful (any old radios would be godlike pleaaasssssseeeeee )

if anyone's interested in pictures of the inside of an ES radio, lemme know and i'll upload some....

thanks a lot -

matt
Old 03-22-03, 06:46 PM
NVICTIS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry

Sorry man, wish I could help. If I was you I would just try the search function. Most of the people on here don't post if its not something that interests them. I know the search option can take forever to, but give it a shot, you might be surprised. Also, I would like to see pics of the inside of the radio, info like that might help in case lights go out and such.

opps, must of hit the wrong post button, this is for the guy that has the radio prob.

Last edited by NVICTIS; 03-22-03 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-22-03, 08:25 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone's favorite online auction house has them frequently. There's two versions of the head unit, one with a CD CMP button (for cars with the trunk changer), and one with separate FM1 & FM2 buttons in place of the CD button. Don't buy one of those if you have the factory changer in the trunk.
Hopefully, someone on this board who went aftermarket will be able to sell your theirs, and it'll be a win-win situation
Old 03-23-03, 02:54 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ok show me a pic of the piece you broke
i have a deck and changer i am selling which i have been really bad at getting to someone i promised it 2
but i also have an old deck (lexus es 300)
which i have the whole deck in pieces so show me what it looks like and i will see if i haven't demolished that part

oh yah do you have the stock changer ?
not that it should make a difference for that part of the bus
later