ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

02 ES300 with small oil leak from Oil filter housing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 08:56 AM
99custom
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 02 ES300 with small oil leak from Oil filter housing

So i just changed the oil on my wife's 02 es300 and it seems to be leaking a very small amount of oil from the oil filter. Anybody have this issue before, I'm wondering if I need to replace an O-ring or something??? Anybody have a link to how I would do this. Thanks for your time.

The car has 120K miles and I already replaced the valve covers so those don't leak anymore.

Also I made sure the oil filter was nice and hand tight, plus I didn't leave the old gasket behind.

Last edited by 99custom; 04-13-15 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-13-15, 10:14 AM
310WLA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it just started maybe dented filter...
Old 04-13-15, 11:27 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You sure it's not a small spill caused by changing the oil filter? A few drops of oil will always come out no matter how carefull you are.

Last edited by PFB; 04-13-15 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-13-15, 11:41 AM
99custom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PFB
You sure it's not a small spill caused by changing the oil filter? A few drops of oil will always come out no matter how carefull you are.
This is exactly what I thought it was at first. It's been about 2 weeks and oil keeps forming in the oil filter catch pan and dripping down. It's a very small amount, but leaks annoy me.

I think I'm going to change the oil again with a new filter (I'm going to use a purolator filter this time). I had been using OEM filters I purchased off ebay. I going to make sure the oil filter housing bolt is tight as well.

Does anyone know if their is an O-Ring behind the oil filter housing bolt? Thanks..
Old 04-13-15, 12:00 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

The most common cause for this is two filter gaskets installed.

Take off the existing filter and look at the base, then get a flashlight and visualize the filter mount on the block. See if the old gasket is still stuck on there, or if it came off with the new filter. If so, remove it, wipe the mounting surface clean, and re-install the filter, top-up the oil. You'll be just fine.

Please do NOT use a Purolator filter - at least not their "Classic" line. They are having horrible tearing and spreading issues and it is well documented on BITOG and other sites. I pulled one off our car because of this in January and found the media spreading and likely to tear if I left it on the whole oil change interval. The OEM Denso filters are some of the best built filters you can get so you are doing nothing wrong with what you are using. I will run them 7.5k (OCI I use with Mobil 1). I use those when on hand, or I get Wix brand filters at NAPA (all NAPA branded filters are made by Wix - the "Gold" is very good, Silver is too). There are many other well-made filters, but these two options (Denso, Wix) are widely available and cheap.
Old 04-13-15, 01:15 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro

Take off the existing filter and look at the base, then get a flashlight and visualize the filter mount on the block. See if the old gasket is still stuck on there, or if it came off with the new filter. If so, remove it, wipe the mounting surface clean, and re-install the filter, top-up the oil. You'll be just fine.

Please do NOT use a Purolator filter - at least not their "Classic" line. They are having horrible tearing and spreading issues and it is well documented on BITOG and other sites. I pulled one off our car because of this in January and found the media spreading and likely to tear if I left it on the whole oil change interval. The OEM Denso filters are some of the best built filters you can get so you are doing nothing wrong with what you are using. I will run them 7.5k (OCI I use with Mobil 1). I use those when on hand, or I get Wix brand filters at NAPA (all NAPA branded filters are made by Wix - the "Gold" is very good, Silver is too). There are many other well-made filters, but these two options (Denso, Wix) are widely available and cheap.
+1, absolutely agree. Even their PureOne is having tears though.

Fram ULTRA is a very stout filter as well, good for 15k miles. I buy them from AAP with a coupon code and run them for 2 OCI's.
Old 04-13-15, 01:15 PM
99custom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Oro

Thanks for the advice on the filters.... I will double check my filter housing and make sure it's all good. I will keep the thread updated upon discovery.