ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-15, 04:14 PM
ronaldjose
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine

Hi my lexus es300. Is making a pinking noise when d engine worms up it sounds like the lifters am not sure
Old 03-22-15, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL as a new poster.

What do you mean by "pinking" noise? Do you mean a ticking or clacking noise? Depending on how cold the engine is, how long you let the oil pressure come up before you first drive off, and the grade of oil you are using, some of that may be normal, as it is with many other engines. But, especially with the 3.0L V6, it could (?) also indicate other problems as well. Is the low-oil warning light on when this happens? Are you using the correct grade/viscosity oil per factory recommendation...and is it at the proper level in the crankcase/dipstick? Are you letting the engine first run a minute or two if it's cold outside, or do you just hop in, start, and drive off? Modern engines don't need as long a warm-up as they once did, but you should let it idle for maybe a minute or so if it's really cold outside (the engine's computer, if working properly, will have it running at a fast-idle, maybe around 1500 RPM). And, last....(and perhaps most important).......if you know, has the oil in that engine been changed regularly at reasonable intervals? That particular engine, unlike many others, is NOT forgiving of extended-interval oil changes...it tends to sludge up, gel, and suffer damage. It also has rather narrow oil passages, which may (?) also be contributing to low oil-flow and the noise at cold temperatures that you hear.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-22-15 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-22-15, 04:42 PM
ronaldjose
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine

D noise sounds like when you used bad gass or timing off.it only happens when the engine hot am not sure if d fan coming on and steam coming out from the the radiator cover
Old 03-22-15, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Again, if the engine is "hot"...is the red warning light on (or gauge-needle on or close "H")? Yes, bad or too-low-octane gas could cause engine pinging or spark-knock (assuming the engine keeps running at all)...but most ES, for a number of years, like most modern engines, has a computer that can detect knocking/pinging (which is more likely to occur not only with poor, low-octane gas, but also at high underhood engine/combustion temperatures). If the computer is working correctly, though, it will retard the spark-timing in the affected cylinder or cylinders until the pinging is gone.....and you would probably feel a loss of power (which you also feel at higher temperatures and altitudes).

Depending on which year your ES was built, I don't know if the factory recommended regular (87 octane), or premium (91 octane). But, with some engines, as they age, over time, carbon buildup on the valves/pistons can artificially increase the effective compression-ratio inside the cylinders, and the same gas that it ran fine on when new may no longer be adequate to prevent pinging. That can be stopped (or reversed) with a proper fuel-system cleaning or de-carbonization.

I hope that helps. Based on what you've said, I don't know what else to add....I'd check those things first. We also have a MAINTENANCE forum here on CL......some of the members there might also have some solutions.

(and, I don't want to sound rude, but may I politely suggest you use a spell-check feature on your computer)

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-22-15 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-22-15, 06:55 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Hi ronaldjose and welcome to ClubLexus! I moved your thread to the ES300/ES330 forum, where you're more apt to connect with the folks who might be familiar with your issue.