ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Changing the fuel filter - can't get the top fuel line off

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 07:32 PM
swhockey98
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Changing the fuel filter - can't get the top fuel line off

I was able to loosen the bottom line 14mm nut using a flare nut wrench, but I am having trouble removing the top line. There's a black clip covering the connection, which I was able to remove, but I cannot figure out why the line is not separating from the filter. Is that brownish clip preventing me from removing the line?

Can someone please help?

Old 03-19-15, 07:37 PM
jenga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's type of quick connect fitting. You need a special tool to release the clip. See if you can borrow one from the local auto parts store.
Old 03-19-15, 08:21 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ya i recently "changed" mine . here is the link :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ange-pics.html

that hose is easy to remove . you see that sliver plastic tab. you just press on it and also there is another tab below it. You will need to use like a thin and long to press that tab below. Like a pen or long and thin screwdriver. Once those tabs are pressed that black piece will come out.

Just wondering what kind of fuel filter you are using. i had problem fitting with aftermarket one. it had no bracket i have ordered oem filter with bracket .
Old 03-20-15, 01:36 PM
swhockey98
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jenga
It's type of quick connect fitting. You need a special tool to release the clip. See if you can borrow one from the local auto parts store.
Thanks, Jenga. After some googling I found this helpful video for anyone else having issues disconnecting the top fuel line:

Skip to 1:30, that's the type of quick connect on the OEM fuel filter.
Old 03-20-15, 01:51 PM
swhockey98
Driver School Candidate

When I was installing the new filter, I could not completely thread the 14mm bolt all the way up to the filter. Is that normal? (See pic)

Old 03-20-15, 01:52 PM
swhockey98
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by imherenow
ya i recently "changed" mine . here is the link :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ange-pics.html

that hose is easy to remove . you see that sliver plastic tab. you just press on it and also there is another tab below it. You will need to use like a thin and long to press that tab below. Like a pen or long and thin screwdriver. Once those tabs are pressed that black piece will come out.

Just wondering what kind of fuel filter you are using. i had problem fitting with aftermarket one. it had no bracket i have ordered oem filter with bracket .

I picked up an OEM one from a local Lexus dealer, mine came with the bracket also. Just had to remove the brown quick connection off the old filter and snap it onto the new one.
Old 03-20-15, 05:45 PM
imherenow
Racer

ya i think that bolt will have some thread poping out. When i was 1st trying to remove it i did notice the thread was not all the way in. So did everything work for you? and if so how was the feel . Did you find any change or improvement?
Old 03-22-15, 08:40 PM
swhockey98
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by imherenow
ya i think that bolt will have some thread poping out. When i was 1st trying to remove it i did notice the thread was not all the way in. So did everything work for you? and if so how was the feel . Did you find any change or improvement?
The installation went well, but took me about 3 hours to do since I've never performed one before. Lexus told me to install it by removing the front driver's side wheel but I have pretty scrawny forearms so I decided to remove the air intake and squeeze it in through there.

I've done several test drives since then and checked for leaks and everything seems to be good. To be completely honest though, I don't notice any change in acceleration or improvement.

But the original filter was about 16 years old so I just wanted to update it for peace of mind. How did your installation go? Do you notice any difference in MPG?
Old 03-23-15, 08:35 AM
imherenow
Racer

ya i too accessed it via the front by removing all that air filter housing. But i have not changed mine yet to oem. Ithink i will do it in when the weather is warmer. will keep updated once performed