ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Sorry to start with a big problem(s)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-15, 09:11 AM
pearlygem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sorry to start with a big problem(s)

Hello there everyone.
Firstly, thanks so much for creating such a wonderful forum.
I've never signed up to a forum before, so my apologies for any annoying traits i may present.
I have just purchased my first Lexus.
After way-to-much research i finally found my holy-grail of Lexus models, the 92 es300.
Indeed, there are many for sale, but i had to be sure about the exact one for me, and not having much money, i had to be even more patient.
Anyway, this es300 has done 200,000 ks, and for all intents and purposes, it ran great.
However, over the past couple of days, i have experienced the following -
- Engine cuts out while idling
- Revs all the way up to 5000 before going from 1st to 2nd.
- Hardly any response to kick-down.
- Occassional smoke coming from exhaust and burning gas smell.

(n.b. before i purchased the car, the dealer said that the button which activates the trunk didn't work, so he pressed some other button located in the glove compartment, and that fixed)

I've read a few threads with awesomely educational contributions, and again, thank you so much, but i'm just not sure what the problem is.
Having only just finally got my Lexus, and being very cynical, i'm worried it's the head gasket or some massive other problem.
But i'm very naive at this stage as well.
It seems many people might presume that it's something to do with the ECU (???)

i should also say - there is a really big viration in the sterring wheel that my father thinks is due to "tyre tramp", which is when a car has not been driven for a long time and its tyres get a severe flat spot in each of them.
the a/c doesn't work as well, supposedly due to the car not being driven for long periods over many years.

i soooo hope it is something simple like resetting the ECU myself and all i have to do is adjust something small myself.
if anyone doesn't mind assisting i'd be most grateful.

being in australia, i don't know many people that i trust to ask.

thanks so much again, and apologies for the ignorance.
pearly
Old 03-17-15, 10:05 AM
vintagelex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few relatively simple things I would try first, because it is very likely they have to be done anyway.

-Change spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor
-Change air filter
-Change fuel filter
-Change PCV valve and grommet - be careful not to brake the old grommet and drop in in the valve cover, it will be brittle.
-Clean throttle body and idle control valve

Then I would check the transmission fluid, it should be a nice red-ish color. If it's not then get it changed along with the fluid in the differential (I'm assuming this is an automatic). Fluid for both the transmission and differential should be Dexron II or equivalent.

This is all relatively inexpensive basic maintenance and should make even a well running car run smoother. If you are still having problems after this then you can troubleshoot further.