ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Time has come..

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 06:23 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Time has come..

Well guys, If you checked the vehicle classifieds in the past two weeks, you would've seen my ES on there. With sad heart I had to sell it for college money. But I know the guy I sold it to so it's going to a good home where it will be well appreciated and taken care of.

Here is me right after we signed over the title:

Now here's where the story changes, having all this money from selling my ES, of course a mint condition GS pops up for sale in my area. I couldn't pass it up. I convinced my parents that I would work hard over the summer to save up some money for college and they let me buy it. So here's my new ride:

Of course the big question, which one do I like better? Honestly I like both of them the same, they both have their up and downs. I'll pop back in here and there to offer some insight, but I won't be on here as much. It was great getting to know you guys and learning from everyone. I hope you don't all think of me as a traitor
Old 03-05-15, 06:52 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Good luck with your new car, may it serve you faithfully.

Old 03-05-15, 07:27 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Wait, I'm confused...

Didn't you recently get your ES and put 2010 ES350 rims on it and added a lip spoiler and front lip, etc...I thought you were going to hang on to it and had plans for it.

And now you're suddenly riding in a GS? Was the difference that large to make up for college?
Old 03-05-15, 11:23 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you actually save any money with all the taxes, registration and fees you will have to spend?
Oh well, good luck with the GS.
Old 03-06-15, 06:16 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ya i am confused too..i think with that upgrades you would def stick here for a long time..
I am assuming you sold the ES for like $4000 or so and by looking at the GS conditon its probably about the same cost to buy it?
Anyways i still think your ES was better looking ( with upgrades) that the GS. not a good choice
Old 03-06-15, 08:19 AM
lostape45
Advanced

I know it was a huge mistake. Basically my parents told me I would need to save up money for college, I took that as probably getting a lot of money together, like selling my car. But that wasn't what they meant. Basically I just listed my car for sale, not thinking it would actually sell that quick. I didn't mention listing my car for sale to them just because I didn't think I needed to.

Fast forward a week and people are very interested. One guys says he wants to come look at it, my parents ask me what I'm doing selling my car, of course I tell them to raise money for college. They're so shocked because they know how much I loved my ES. They explained that they meant saving more money, spending less, etc. Well by that time it was too late.. That guy that came to look at my car ended up buying it from me.

I honestly couldn't be more mad at myself. I by no means wanted to sell my ES, I wanted to keep it until it died. Bottom line, I learned my lesson, I made a huge mistake by even listing my car for sale. I miss the ES, and I couldn't just replace it with another one, I'd have to have mine back, but that's not happening.
Old 03-06-15, 05:41 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's a better platform if you are planning on modifying it, not too much available for the ES. What's done is done, enjoy your new ride for what it is. RWD is fun!
Old 03-06-15, 06:59 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by JetsonES
I think it's a better platform if you are planning on modifying it, not too much available for the ES. What's done is done, enjoy your new ride for what it is. RWD is fun!
I agree, its over and you should look forward to modding your new GS. It might suit you better as a younger driver with RWD and sportier suspension setup.

Can you post up more pics of the GS? Lets see the interior and engine

How does the GS drive vs the ES?
Old 03-06-15, 08:35 PM
lostape45
Advanced

I do enjoy the sportier suspension and RWD. I will post up some more pictures tomorrow!

As for the driving, I like the GS better actually. It's stiffer but it's still smooth over bumps. It handles corners very well. Steering is tight, a little numb though. Still getting used to the throttle since its electronic, but surprisingly not laggy. I have to say it's quite a bit quieter inside too. It feels extremely steady and planted on the highway as well. Overall it is more refined (as it should be with a $12k price increase when new) and an enjoyable car to drive.
Old 03-07-15, 06:12 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Here's some more pictures of the GS:

Old 03-07-15, 07:23 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hot damn!! u got it fully loaded ..now that is nice. and super clean and rust free too...i have seen some GS engine pics and they have rust everywhere..very well maintained.
i remember sitting in my friend GS ( with chrome rims) and mann its low and it really snugs you in good.
Still goona miss your upgraded GS ..oh well enjoy your new ride..the GS forum is loaded with goodies
Old 03-07-15, 10:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I did the same thing, 2001 ES300 to a 2002 GS300 sport design. Let me warn you, the GS is a lot more to maintain than the ES, at least mine has been. Its just one suspension issue after another at only 110Kmiles, and I've owned it since 58k miles. It was a two owner, had full service history, and spent the first 4 years in Florida. Not just suspension, but add the carrier bearing, motor mounts, transmission mount, valve cover gaskets, headlight leveling motor, condensation in the headlights, and an exhaust issue. Also for some reason its been attracting people hitting it while parked (twice this month). Its gotten so bad I've considered trading in the car, I hate it that much. Just a heads up. Other people tend to have better luck than I've had with this thing though. I just had such good luck with my 2001 ES i expected the same from the GS. That being said when everything is in good shape, its a great car. Hope yours is better than mine.
Old 03-08-15, 06:40 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

That is a sharp looking car. I was eyeing a same generation GS400 in a parking lot on friday.

We had a prior gen (94) GS300 (gone now) and it was a very problematic car; but fun to drive, especially w/some mild suspension mods. I am tempted to get a GS400 or GS430 but the maintenance issues give me pause like he described above - they are legendary in lexus circles (and I like to do maintenance!). But they are darn good looking cars with great motors, and even though Lexus people call it "high maintenance" it still can't be as bad as Audis and BMWs (ask me how I know ). Looks good. That is an extremely nice looking and clean car, especially for Ohio/rust belt. if I could find a GS400/430 that clean, I'd be into it. Otherwise I think I'm heading to a later ES or even an LS430 next year (in addition to the one we have, not replacing it).
Old 03-08-15, 09:20 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^Definitely get an LS over a GS. Don't get me wrong, when my car doesn't have problems, its great. Not only that, its still a really sharp looking car, I get compliments on it all the time, especially with the G-spyder wheels on, but the suspension the the car just sucks haha. My old ES300 set the bar way to high. as for the Germans, I've thought about trading it in for one more than a few times, but I feel like the GS is just a taste of what owning the S500 or SL500 i was looking at would be like.
Old 03-09-15, 07:25 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Fantastic looking GS and a funny story about how you got it. Best of luck with it, I always admired your ES. Maybe the current owner will find ClubLexus

Quick Reply: Time has come..