ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

98 Lexus ES 300 Speaker Problems - Aftermarket HU

Old 03-01-15, 12:04 PM
Boker1204
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Lexus ES 300 Speaker Problems - Aftermarket HU

Hi, I bought a new head unit and didn't use a wiring harness. I hooked everything but illumination and antenna. I'm having a problem with the front speakers. Ok.. The door tweeters work but the door main speaker doesn't work. Arent they connected? Why is only the tweeter working.. Thought it was wired with the door speaker? If it comes down to it I will run new wire to door speakers and splice them in with the current front speaker wire. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 03-03-15, 06:11 PM
skullarms
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I have a 2002 ES300, the previous owner had hacked the stereo wiring plug off, I connected the battery live, ACC live and ground from my new unit, and ran speaker wires to the connector on the amp, effectively bypassing the amp, all of my speakers work fine, I also hooked the sub into my rear speaker wires, that works fine also, have you checked all connections, fuses etc?? as far as I know the tweeters are wired parallel to the front speakers, I will try and find the diagram I used and post it on here if I can!
Old 03-09-15, 05:19 PM
Boker1204
Driver School Candidate

Default Got it!

Hey, thanks for the reply. I checked everything.. Fuses, wiring, connections, everything and still couldn't fix the problem. What I did was replace the wiring.. Even though I didn't see any problems with the stock wiring, but it worked. I ran the tweeter and door speakers together as they were originally and ran new wires to the head unit. I sat there for like half an hour examining the old wires and could not figure out why it didn't work. The wires weren't real hard or brittle, there were no cuts, exposed wire or problems with the contacts.. Still clueless. It is weird that both sides didn't work.. Tweeters worked, but not the door speakers. My amplifier is bypassed. Anyway, the problems fixed and it sounds 10x better so I'm happy. Thanks for the reply buddy.
Old 03-16-15, 09:47 AM
skullarms
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Boker1204
Hey, thanks for the reply. I checked everything.. Fuses, wiring, connections, everything and still couldn't fix the problem. What I did was replace the wiring.. Even though I didn't see any problems with the stock wiring, but it worked. I ran the tweeter and door speakers together as they were originally and ran new wires to the head unit. I sat there for like half an hour examining the old wires and could not figure out why it didn't work. The wires weren't real hard or brittle, there were no cuts, exposed wire or problems with the contacts.. Still clueless. It is weird that both sides didn't work.. Tweeters worked, but not the door speakers. My amplifier is bypassed. Anyway, the problems fixed and it sounds 10x better so I'm happy. Thanks for the reply buddy.
Glad it worked for you, dunno about the original wiring but sometimes its best just to start fresh!
Old 03-23-15, 08:37 AM
Boker1204
Driver School Candidate

Default Another one

Skullarms, thanks for all your input. I have another question maybe you can help me with. Ok when I installed my head unit I had room for 4 speaker connections. Now, how is the subwoofer on the back deck connected to the head unit? Is it connected using both the rear left and right speakers? Anyway, I removed the stock subwoofer because of damage. I do have one 15 inch subwoofer to add some depth to my music. My question is can I use the subwoofer conection that already exists to hook up, say, one 6 x 9? Maybe 2 in a box, wired together? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I just want to make sure it's not affecting the other speakers in the rear. What do you think? Thanks brother.
Old 03-30-15, 08:50 AM
skullarms
Driver School Candidate

Like you I had 4 speaker connections, front left, front right, rear left and rear right I wired these up and spliced the positive subwoofer to the positive rear right,and the negative to the negative rear left, this worked fine for me, the subwoofer sounds perfect and I can still alter fade and balance etc, I dont see any reason why you shouldnt be able to use the existing wires for a new subwoofer, my advice is to plug it in and try!