ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

12V accessory port in 98 ES300 arm rest not working - pic attached

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 02:22 PM
phoenixnsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 12V accessory port in 98 ES300 arm rest not working - pic attached

Hi all, the 12V accessory port in my 98 ES300 doesn't appear to be working. Attached is a photo, is any part of it missing? Can another ES300 owner compare with theirs, if they have a working port, and let me know if there's something obvious that I need to buy to make it work? Much appreciated, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails 12V accessory port in 98 ES300 arm rest not working - pic attached-12v_accessory_port.jpg  
Old 01-26-15, 03:08 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Its hard to tell from the picture, but measure the voltage at that Plug. See if you get 12v. If you do, than try to plug in a different accessory. See if that works.

If you do get 12v at the plug, you can ttry cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser. If no 12v than look for a blown fuse .

Start with these simple steps at first.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 01-26-15 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-26-15, 04:13 PM
jenga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, check with the key on. The one in the ashtray does not power up unless it turned on, not sure of console..
Old 01-27-15, 06:47 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Do the other plug(s) in the car work? I believe they're wired to the same fuse. If not, you've got a burnt fuse.
Old 01-29-15, 12:40 PM
phoenixnsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Do the other plug(s) in the car work? I believe they're wired to the same fuse. If not, you've got a burnt fuse.
The cigarette lighter one does work, however it looks different (there is more metal in the plug), which is why I was asking if I'm missing any piece in the accessory port. Thanks.
Old 01-30-15, 01:40 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by phoenixnsx
The cigarette lighter one does work, however it looks different (there is more metal in the plug), which is why I was asking if I'm missing any piece in the accessory port. Thanks.
The front one is meant to accommodate either a cigarette lighter, or an accessory. The accessory one will ONLY accommodate an accessory, not a cigarette lighter. Hence its name and the design difference between the two.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 01-30-15 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-30-15, 06:34 PM
Mphidd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PFB
The front one is meant to accommodate either a cigarette lighter, or an accessory. The accessory one will ONLY accommodate an accessory, not a cigarette lighter. Hence its name and the design difference between the two.

Phil
Phil I just checked mine and the port in the armrest works but the cigarette lighter one does not. I tried pushing in the lighter to see if it would heat and pop and nothing happened...............any ideas?
Old 01-30-15, 06:52 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mphidd
Phil I just checked mine and the port in the armrest works but the cigarette lighter one does not. I tried pushing in the lighter to see if it would heat and pop and nothing happened...............any ideas?
If you've been using the lighter often, It could be that your lighter bit the dust. Either use a voltmeter to check for 12 volts, (careful not to blow a fuse), or even better, plug in some sort of accessory to see if it works,

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 01-30-15 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-30-15, 07:59 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by phoenixnsx
Check the fuses. What are you trying to do with the armrest port? As in, what are you plugging in?
Old 01-30-15, 08:03 PM
Mphidd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PFB
If you've been using the lighter often, It could be that your lighter bit the dust. Either use a voltmeter to check for 12 volts, (careful not to blow a fuse), or even better, plug in some sort of accessory to see if it works,

Phil
I tried using my phone charger in the lighter port and it didn't work, but when I used the arm rest port it worked.
Old 01-31-15, 01:59 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

I tried using my phone charger in the lighter port and it didn't work, but when I used the arm rest port it worked.
Does your clock work?
Old 01-31-15, 02:46 PM
Mphidd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PFB
Does your clock work?
Yes the clock works
Old 01-31-15, 03:23 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

At this point, the only other options are the following:

1) Using an ohm meter, measure each and every fuse in each of the fuses boxes, for continuity,
2) if ok, measure the voltage at the plug itself. Carefull not to cause a short. If no voltage,
3) Remove the plug, examine the connector, measure voltages at the connector, and trace back the wiring,

Sorry, but at that point that needs to be done.

Hope you're handy, and have a Volt/ohm meter.

Phil
Old 01-31-15, 04:00 PM
Mphidd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PFB
At this point, the only other options are the following:

1) Using an ohm meter, measure each and every fuse in each of the fuses boxes, for continuity,
2) if ok, measure the voltage at the plug itself. Carefull not to cause a short. If no voltage,
3) Remove the plug, examine the connector, measure voltages at the connector, and trace back the wiring,

Sorry, but at that point that needs to be done.

Hope you're handy, and have a Volt/ohm meter.

Phil
Thanks I will do that and report back. I had to jump start the car yesterday and my partner suspects the alternator needs to be replaced.......could this be related?
Old 01-31-15, 04:08 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Thanks I will do that and report back. I had to jump start the car yesterday and my partner suspects the alternator needs to be replaced.......could this be related?
Doesn't appear to be related.

Quick Reply: 12V accessory port in 98 ES300 arm rest not working - pic attached