ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Rebadge Windom to ES300?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 04:20 AM
Qwerty321
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebadge Windom to ES300?

Should I? I own a 1999 Toyota Windom 3.0G and its my first car. However, I live in NZ, and here Lexus' are a novelty, and Toyota's are nothing special. So, considering the Windom and ES300 are for all intents and purposes the same car, I was thinking whether I should try rebadge it.

My biggest concern with rebadging is the steering wheel and the actual wheels. The steering wheel has a Toyota logo on it, and I was wondering if it was possible to somehow change that over to a Lexus logo. My main concern is the airbag, as I don't want to mess it up and have it exploding in my face or worse, exploding while I'm driving. Would it be possible to keep the same airbag, and just change over the cover plate, and if so, how difficult would it be (Im a newbie, don't judge me)?

Also, the stock rims have Toyota logos on them. However, the logos are on disks that actually protrude slightly from the rims, I'm thinking they might independent from the actual rims and hopefully I'd be able to change just those without having to change the rims altogether. Is this the case?

One final thing, though this is more opinion based. I'm still in two minds about rebadging the car. In your opinion should I do it, or just stick with the Windom.
Old 01-07-15, 08:47 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

The airbag cover replacement is not worth it. These cars are old ... its not like doing a cover swap on a car <5yrs old.

You'd need the whole airbag. Luckily these cars are old now, and airbags can be had for 60$ USD

I personally wouldn't rebadge since its very poseur-ish. If you want to get into the specifics, there was never a RHD ES300. These weren't sold in Europe [ie. the UK, IRL] as such a model, so it will be a complete rebadge and look-alike.

Same in Japan, there is a big culture around making their Windom's USDM, so look on Minkara.co.jp, and you'll see what their doing, and if you like it go for it. There's many builds with part numbers and such.

The alloys, you're right, its just center caps that are interchangeable.

Also, other than hood/trunk badging you'll need the center clock/bezel. The hazard switch will be on the opposite side and will say "lexus" in gold instead of Windom.

Lastly, since I don't know what model you have you're radio may say Toyota somewhere on it. Another thing to consider - unless going aftermarket.

Personally, too much hassle and money to convert a car like this.... just makes no sense, not to mention a lot of vendors don't want to ship to NZ [from US] since its so far and expensive.
Old 01-07-15, 01:19 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm in NZ, and I can tell you there is no point in re-badging it. It won't increase the value and also the ES300 isn't an uncommon car, I got mine for $2400 and there were 6 others to buy with 200km's. Also, the windom has a cloth interior and the es300 has a leather one. The cars have different gearbox's and drive differently.

To sum it up, there's no point. It won't increase the value, it would actually lower the value, both cars are common in NZ, and easily found, mess with a car like that people start wondering what else you'd tootoo'd with, enjoy what you've got.
Old 01-07-15, 03:19 PM
Qwerty321
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright thanks for the replys guys. I've decided not to rebadge. Your right, if I start rebadging it will make me seem like a poseur, and would really ruin the authenticity of the car.

On another note, this forum is really good. I've read through some other threads and they are very helpful, I guess you'll be seeing more of me around here