ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Replacing 2005 ES330 starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-14, 08:22 AM
raphytaffy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing 2005 ES330 starter

Hi all, my mom's starter recently died out and I'm looking to replace it (myself, if possible). The thing is, I'm not much of a car guy, but I can follow some basic assembly steps. I just work much better through visuals. Does anyone know where I can find a visual guide on how to disassemble everything needed to get to the starter? Also, does anyone happen to know if I can reach the starter through the hood of the car or if I'll need to get under the car?

I'm also trying to shop around for a replacement starter. I have found a few on PartsGeek: http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/sta...xus/es330.html. Has anyone purchased a started from them or similar sources? What is your recommendation as far as brands go? Should I feel okay about a remanufactured starter?

Sorry for all of the silly questions, just trying to gather some information for the best course of action. Thanks.
Old 12-31-14, 11:01 AM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

these images might help.

Old new, there are some differences.

I found it a very easy job to do. I did find it easier to get to the back bolt, when the air inlet upper housing was out of the way. It would be hard to do that any other way.

It's a fairly simple job, only basic tools are needed and it doesn't take long, about 1hr.
Old 01-01-15, 03:57 AM
pauloil
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reman. is fine, plus if you get it at oreillys, you have your gaurantee close by. think about the quality of the starter cable, and consider replacing it. the first thing one should do when checking starting/charging system, is do a voltage drop test on the cables.
Old 01-02-15, 11:07 AM
raphytaffy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pauloil
reman. is fine, plus if you get it at oreillys, you have your gaurantee close by. think about the quality of the starter cable, and consider replacing it. the first thing one should do when checking starting/charging system, is do a voltage drop test on the cables.
Would you mind walking me through the steps for a proper voltage drop test?

Also, is this where my starter is located?

I could have sworn that the towing guy struck something lower, so I just wanted to double check before doing anything.
Old 01-02-15, 07:52 PM
pauloil
Pole Position

as you face the car, the starter is down low on the right, under the air intake and medial to the battery, but lower. google voltage drop test. it is like trying to ask: ?how much voltage can't go thru this wire under load.
so to check the charging wire, you run motor at 2000rpm, and turn on the rear defroster, headlights and the fan on high, then use a voltmeter at both ends of the cable to see the voltage dropped, and it should be less than 0.2V. you should do the same thing for the grounds by measuring battery voltage with the same things on, and then using a jumper cable from the motor to the neg battery terminal and be sure the measured voltage doesn't change much. if the voltage does change much, the grounds are either dirty where they are anchored or frayed near the ends of the cable.
Old 01-03-15, 08:54 PM
raphytaffy
Driver School Candidate

This is it right here, right?

I am trying to get to it, but it's a bit tucked in:

I think I would have way more room to work with if I could just remove this:

Any ideas on how to remove the thing in the last picture?
Old 01-04-15, 02:48 PM
raphytaffy
Driver School Candidate

Sorry about the double post, but I was able to remove the air inlet in order to get to the starter. After taking out the starter and examining it, I am worried that there may be a leak somewhere in my system.

Here are a couple pictures of the old starter:

Is the corrosion on the starter worrisome? I honestly have no idea how to troubleshoot these things, so I would really appreciate some feedback from the community. I'd like to fix any possible leaks before putting the new starter in so that it doesn't suffer the same fate as the old starter.
Old 01-04-15, 05:28 PM
jenga
Driver School Candidate

Looks like someone was beating on the starter with a hammer and long punch to 'help' it work.
Old 01-04-15, 05:30 PM
raphytaffy
Driver School Candidate

Oh, I'm an idiot. The towing guy used a long metal pipe to help start up the car when I was stranded. That would explain it
Old 01-05-15, 04:10 PM
pauloil
Pole Position

let that old starter be your core for the new one, clean the wire ends and grounds, ensure you have 12.5 volts at the battery and 13+ with the motor on.
Old 01-05-15, 04:16 PM
raphytaffy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pauloil
let that old starter be your core for the new one, clean the wire ends and grounds, ensure you have 12.5 volts at the battery and 13+ with the motor on.
Can you explain why I would use the old starter as the core rather than the new one? When I ordered a Denso starter, it came with a new core, so I just installed it as it is.
Old 01-06-15, 09:10 AM
jenga
Driver School Candidate

Some local places can rebuild your starter for you and they start with the original 'core' , replacing what is needed.

When you go to a store, you get a re-manufactured starter and exchange your starter as a 'core' that is sent out to mass production rebuilders.
Old 01-06-15, 09:14 AM
raphytaffy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jenga
Some local places can rebuild your starter for you and they start with the original 'core' , replacing what is needed. When you go to a store, you exchange your starter as a 'core' that is sent out to mass production rebuilders.
Is it cheaper to rebuild your starter? How reliable are local stores at rebuilding starters? I paid $213 for a Denso starter including core since it was a name that I trust. In the event that my starter dies again, I am able to send in my old core and only pay for the rebuild.
Old 01-06-15, 04:36 PM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The core is your old starter.
Old 01-06-15, 06:28 PM
pauloil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fritz330
The core is your old starter.
ditto, ditto