ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

98 ES300 power steering leak

Old 12-29-14, 09:29 AM
taltrap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ES300 power steering leak

Recently power steering liquid leaking and engine started to make little weird noises, not sure if it's engine though. Also steering wheel vibrating a little when car started.

Any suggestions how to fix? Also which power steering fluid I should use?

Thanks in advance,
Old 12-29-14, 01:59 PM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a faulty power steering pump. You gotta look around for that leak. Jack up your car on the passenger side, remove the wheel, look through and you'll see the power steering pump. See if there's any leaks. The power steering lines seem to be a common issue as well. You might have a faulty line. The leak is causing your fluid level to drop ...then you have the noise and hard steering.

Check out this video:
I disagree with the author of the video when he says it's tough job. IMO it's quite easy considering how much room Toyota/Lexus gives around the steering rack. I just replaced a rack on my son's 1999 ES300. These cars are a dream to work on.
Old 12-30-14, 10:19 AM
taltrap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EPayne42
Sounds like a faulty power steering pump. You gotta look around for that leak. Jack up your car on the passenger side, remove the wheel, look through and you'll see the power steering pump. See if there's any leaks. The power steering lines seem to be a common issue as well. You might have a faulty line. The leak is causing your fluid level to drop ...then you have the noise and hard steering.

Check out this video: Lexus Power Steering Line replacement - YouTube
I disagree with the author of the video when he says it's tough job. IMO it's quite easy considering how much room Toyota/Lexus gives around the steering rack. I just replaced a rack on my son's 1999 ES300. These cars are a dream to work on.
Thanks a lot for your advise,

I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to check but it's my first car and I'm thinking to go mechanic to top up the power steering fluid I think I can at least top up the fluid on my own. Few weeks ago mechanic told me it would cost like $70 just to check where's leak. And they quote me $600 for whole power steering fix. Not sure if I need that much fixing.

Besides, today I realize that there's a white smoke when I start the car, should I be alarmed or it would be just because of cold weather?
Old 12-30-14, 10:35 AM
taltrap
Driver School Candidate

Any power steering fluid advise? Not sure if brand name and kind important when it's leaking though..
Old 12-30-14, 10:41 AM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

$600 ...whoa. This is why I bought a bunch of tools and repair manuals about 20 years ago. I was getting hosed by mechanics with my first couple cars. It's saved me thousands over the years.

Definitely top off your power steering fluid. Use Dextron.

You might ask a friend or relative with automotive skills to help you out. If it turns out you have a leaking hose, you might spend and hour or two swapping it out. Just be sure to be very safe when lifting and supporting the car. Use jack stands under the frame and keep a jack along side the jack stand for an extra measure of safety. Ramps work well, but you'll need some that are on the taller side to get the car up in the air enough to slide under. I feel more comfortable working under a car on ramps than jack stands.
Old 12-30-14, 12:37 PM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

Dextron II or III is fine. I use synthetic ...comes in a red bottle. You can find at Autozone or WalMart.
Old 12-30-14, 12:48 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

check the power steering fluid level and top it off if low. also turn the steering wheel full left and right with the power steering resavoir cap off to bleed any trapped air in the system. check the oil level to.
also inspect the feed and return lines coming from the reservoir. they tend to leak from the lines alot.
i have seen the back valve cover leak and oil pump leak from behind the timing cover that makes it look like the power steering is leaking.
Old 01-02-15, 12:48 PM
taltrap
Driver School Candidate

$600 ...whoa. This is why I bought a bunch of tools and repair manuals about 20 years ago. I was getting hosed by mechanics with my first couple cars. It's saved me thousands over the years.

Definitely top off your power steering fluid. Use Dextron.

You might ask a friend or relative with automotive skills to help you out. If it turns out you have a leaking hose, you might spend and hour or two swapping it out. Just be sure to be very safe when lifting and supporting the car. Use jack stands under the frame and keep a jack along side the jack stand for an extra measure of safety. Ramps work well, but you'll need some that are on the taller side to get the car up in the air enough to slide under. I feel more comfortable working under a car on ramps than jack stands.
Thanks a lot EPayne42,

I will definitely try to fix by myself, I think I can also start to learn how to fix cars, since it's my first car, I think I will deal with so many things so I better start now

I'm going to get Dextron 2 or 3 today and will top up the fluid. I believe this problem also causes the white smoke if I'm not wrong.
Old 01-02-15, 12:49 PM
taltrap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kornpeef
check the power steering fluid level and top it off if low. also turn the steering wheel full left and right with the power steering resavoir cap off to bleed any trapped air in the system. check the oil level to.
also inspect the feed and return lines coming from the reservoir. they tend to leak from the lines alot.
i have seen the back valve cover leak and oil pump leak from behind the timing cover that makes it look like the power steering is leaking.
Thanks a lot kornpeef,

Will do what you advise. And like you mention, I have a feeling there's also another leaks, not sure how I will check but there's different various leaks lately..
Old 01-02-15, 02:01 PM
taltrap
Driver School Candidate

Dextron II or III is fine. I use synthetic ...comes in a red bottle. You can find at Autozone or WalMart.
Just went to Autozone, asked for Dextron II or III and they gave me "Castrol Transmax Automatic Transmission Fluid" , is that normal? They told me some cars uses transmission fluid as power steering fluid?
Old 01-02-15, 02:30 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes that is true with our 3rd gen ES. That fluid will work just fine for your car. I used some similar fluid about a year ago and it still is decently fresh.
Old 01-02-15, 11:38 PM
taltrap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lostape45
Yes that is true with our 3rd gen ES. That fluid will work just fine for your car. I used some similar fluid about a year ago and it still is decently fresh.
Thanks lostape45,

I just thought guys at Autozone misunderstood. First I was going to get regular power steering fluid than they advised this transmission fluid for my car. Seems like if I can fix leak issue, this fluid would last long at least few years.
Old 01-04-15, 09:43 AM
hooterbif
Driver School Candidate

I use any ATF for power steering fluid.

By the way, I noticed the same problem in my 95 ES300. I didn't know why the whole car was vibrating, so I went to the shop. While the car was on, they came out and poured ATF in the power steering fluid resevoir and the car became perfectly smooth. My car has a leak and I just keep the resevoir filled.