ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Wheel Bearing Noise still exists after wheel bearing replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 06:38 PM
dlamb89
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3es Wheel Bearing Noise still exists after wheel bearing replacement? (With video)

So, from a previous thread, I've mentioned how I get a wheel bearing noise that gets noticeably loud 35-60 mph, and it worsens the more passengers there are, and if I am turning left. This is the weird part. I got the right front bearing replaced, they said it was pretty bad. I definitely feel a difference and it glides more, and it's a little quieter, but this sound remains. He said it sounds like it's coming from the transmission, but i doubt that because it worsens turning left and with more weight. I know they replaced it, I watched them lol. Could it be the left rear? but really what are the chances of two bad wheel bearings on the left side? I'll try to get a video of the sound when I can.

Last edited by dlamb89; 12-16-14 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-11-14, 07:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Turning left loads the right side of the car more. So either the right bearing is bad, or maybe your CV axle is failing.
Old 12-11-14, 10:38 PM
dlamb89
Rookie

Whoops, I meant the RIGHT front bearing was replaced. Sorry bout that. Could it be anything else? I'll have a video soon
Old 12-12-14, 07:03 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trans will make a high pitch whine noise when it's going bad. Like the sound of a power steering pump low on fluid. It's possible the rear one is bad. Jack up the rear and spin the wheel as fast as u can and then grab the spring on the rear strut and see if you feel the bearing in the spring. A cv would make a clicking noise mainly during tighter turns and slower speeds.
Old 12-14-14, 12:26 AM
Gerson
Pole Position

Assuming you have a 92-96 or a 97-01 the bearing that's in the right drive shaft that goes through the rear mount can go bad. I replaced mine with a new snap ring for extra insurance.
Old 12-14-14, 10:19 AM
dlamb89
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wht95scort
Assuming you have a 92-96 or a 97-01 the bearing that's in the right drive shaft that goes through the rear mount can go bad. I replaced mine with a new snap ring for extra insurance.
I do have a 97. What would the snap ring prevent? I can't find any videos with a drive shaft bearing going bad, maybe I'm not searching on youtube with the right terms, but would you say it's comparable to the sound of a wheel bearing going bad? And what is the average labor for that?

Here is a video of the sound. If you don't have speakers or headphones that deliver good low end, you will not hear it. Try to listen out for a low end oscillating sound, THAT is the sound that I am regarding. You start to really hear it 0:11-0:20

Last edited by dlamb89; 12-16-14 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-16-14, 03:22 PM
dlamb89
Rookie

Also, I noticed that when I am driving up an incline, its worse, regardless of turning, but quieter when going down a decline.
Old 12-16-14, 04:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Have you checked your engine mounts? If they are shot especially the rear one then you'll get metal on metal and that will transfer the low frequency into the cabin. Not saying that is your problem but worth investigating.
Old 12-17-14, 07:54 AM
dlamb89
Rookie

I haven't. Aren't they a ***** to get to? Or there a trick to it? I'll consider it either way. But couldn't it be ruled out by the fact it gets louder during left turns, and is oscillating?
Old 12-27-14, 04:06 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

sound gets louder driving uphill possible rear wheel bearings. weight is distributed to the rears. you may have more than one wheel bearing out or going out. seen it a dozen times. techs normally catch the loud bearing but cant hear the other subtle bearings because the worn one is so loud. since its a front wheel drive its easy to test it. just put the car in the air and place it in drive and listen to wheel bearing with a stethoscope. but the rears are undriven wheels and need to be spun by hand and listened to. ive seen alot of techs get bit in the *** not catching the other bearing.
Old 01-01-15, 09:42 AM
dlamb89
Rookie

thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking, so I'm really thinking it's the rear right, also because the only accident that was on the carfax report (which was minor) was a hit at the rear right wheel. That strut was bad, too. Replaced the back struts a bit ago with KYB and moog sway links. so, I'm just gonna say screw it and get the rear right breaing replaced. But based on what we know, should I make sure that the entire hub assembly isn't bad, instead of just the bearings?
Old 01-01-15, 11:53 AM
kornpeef
Rookie

it takes alot to damage the hub. the only time ive had to replace the hub is when a new guy pressed out the bearing and bent the hub with the press.
Old 06-10-15, 09:43 AM
dlamb89
Rookie

Well, not to bump and on thread, but to confirm, it was the rear right wheel bearing. It was more labor just to replace the wheel bearing because it had to be pressed in, so I bought the hub and bearing assembly together, and just popped it in and out. My mechanic made an honest mistake which one it was. It's now all over. Whew.
Old 11-12-15, 05:08 PM
msim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by msim
I have the same issue. I replaced the tires, the CV axle, the noise still exists at precisely 60 mph and when turning left. The noise fades out at 70 mph and below 50 mph. My opinion is that this is a design issue caused by a harmonic resonance.
Any idea? I went to another dealership today, and they told me that I have to change the bearing. I told them that everything is new, actually they saw the axle, and they have no idea, only changing the bearing... again...
Old 11-12-15, 06:28 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

It is possible that a bad bearing slipped through the q.a. process. I would try to get a second opinion as I would imagine it isn't a cheap repair.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing Noise still exists after wheel bearing replacement?