ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Transmission Filter Change DIY

Old 12-07-14, 01:56 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
When the filter gets dirty it looks grey-ish maybe some people mistake that as a paper element? It's orange/yellow-ish when new. If there is a screen type filter for the U140E I'd use that versus the felt element they tend to get gunked up and clog. Terrible design.

Yes I did my bad.
Over the years, many people have tried to find the screen filter. It's hard to get a hold of, but I do recall a few members being able to get it.

But, yes the screen filter allows for better flow while compromising filtration.
Old 12-07-14, 02:29 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question on the 4ES: when I did the timing belt in my '05 last summer, I also dumped the pan and tried to swap in a new filter/screen that I sourced from the dealer for my VIN. My VIN tag says I have the a U151E trans. Try as I might, there were 2 bolts I was simply not able to get out of the pan, they are above the subframe on the driver's side, and unreachable. I have pretty much every type of wrench known to man, but I couldn't get them off. I tried a flex socket, short and flexy GearWrenches, box wrench, offset box wrench, blah blah blah but it just wasn't gonna happen. I was kinda tired of the project at that point, so I put the bolts back in and gave up. I did do a full fluid exchange, but I would still like to put that nice new screen in.

What is the trick to getting those bolts out? I hope I don't need to unbolt and jack up the engine...
Old 12-07-14, 03:24 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys - running by the Toyota dealership tomorrow to pick up whatever they have. Don't have time to hunt down a screen type filter if indeed they don't have one. One thing I'll mention is that the bolts on my pan were no where near 69 lbft which probably explains the grime on the one side of the pan and beyond...Also, 69 lbft seems like a lot for these small bolts, but I won't 2nd guess the manual. I'll post what I eventually get in the way of a filter tomorrow.
Old 12-07-14, 03:51 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its 69 inlb... you may be out of luck on the filter at the dealership. At work we'll typically have to overnight parts from the main warehouse for cars older than 7 years old. But who knows maybe you'll be lucky and they randomly have one in stock, it happens.
Old 12-07-14, 04:00 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
Also, 69 lbft seems like a lot for these small bolts, but I won't 2nd guess the manual.
Whoa whoa whoa... read it again. It's 69 INCH pounds. That's less than 6 ft-lbs. You will probably need a different torque wrench.
Old 12-07-14, 05:14 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Originally Posted by KLF
Whoa whoa whoa... read it again. It's 69 INCH pounds. That's less than 6 ft-lbs. You will probably need a different torque wrench.
Holy crap...thanks for pointing that out...I knew that seemed a little tight for those bolts...
Old 12-07-14, 10:34 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by KLF
Question on the 4ES: when I did the timing belt in my '05 last summer, I also dumped the pan and tried to swap in a new filter/screen that I sourced from the dealer for my VIN. My VIN tag says I have the a U151E trans. Try as I might, there were 2 bolts I was simply not able to get out of the pan, they are above the subframe on the driver's side, and unreachable. I have pretty much every type of wrench known to man, but I couldn't get them off. I tried a flex socket, short and flexy GearWrenches, box wrench, offset box wrench, blah blah blah but it just wasn't gonna happen. I was kinda tired of the project at that point, so I put the bolts back in and gave up. I did do a full fluid exchange, but I would still like to put that nice new screen in. What is the trick to getting those bolts out? I hope I don't need to unbolt and jack up the engine...
I haven't seen the 4ES underneath, but maybe you could jack up the engine/transaxle by the engine oil pan to give you more clearance for a socket. Make sure you use a wooden block between the jack and the pan and don't lift too high.
Old 12-08-14, 04:16 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by KLF
OMG this reminds me when I over torqued my water-pump and idler pulley when doing the timing belt on my ES... bolts snapped and bad things happened. I was using a ft-lb torque wrench instead of an in-lb.

Regarding the tranny pan, I was able to get away with the larger 3/8" torque wrench set at 6 ft-lb (minimum is 5 ft-lb), but I don't recommend it because torque wrenches are known to be inaccurate at either end of the scale.

I haven't looked under my 4ES closely at the tranny pan, but could you get at those bolts easier by removing the driver's wheel and the splash guard over the transmission?
Old 12-08-14, 06:07 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

OK everything is buttoned up and no leaks. I attached the new filter that I got (PureChaos you were right...The Toyota dealership didn't have one in stock, so I got mine at O'Reillys).

From what I could tell and feel, it looks like a paper element (as opposed to felt). Didn't have the energy to run around all of metro Phoenix to round up a screen filter. Didn't see any online either. The filter and gasket cost $20. Had a little trouble getting the first couple of bolts started on the pan but after the first two, the holes lined up pretty well and I snugged them down NOT to 69lbft!

Only misstep was my underestimating the amount of fluid I drained out...missed it by 1/2 qt...will top her off tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's input.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Filter Change DIY-img_0039.jpg