ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

es300 shopper

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-14, 11:15 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

You dont have to be a certified Lexus mechanic to inspect one and see what's wrong. It will take less than 30 min if he has a lift
Old 12-05-14, 11:33 AM
longo32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am investing in a OBD2 scan gauge to see if there are any surprise codes hiding in there, but a lift is not going to under the Xmas Tree.
O n another note, a lot of es300' ads claim to have the tilt-telescoping steering wheel. I know the LS's have an electric tele system but I don't think the es's did, any thoughts?
Old 12-05-14, 02:50 PM
longo32
Driver School Candidate

Yes, watched the video...all of it. All pretty common sense stuff but good to be reminded. Didn't mention much about a Toyota Sludged engine check, from what I have heard, just looking at the oil l filler cap won't tell you much if the owner cleans it up first before you get there. BTW I also looked at your 'transformation pics, your es now looks pretty perky on those new style rims.
You are right about the original es 15" rims they are not very inspiring. good news is tho, probably don't get stolen much! (I would worry about yours tho, the "Midnight Auto Parts" would be drooling over them.)
Old 12-05-14, 06:11 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks for posting my videos, and I hope it helped.

The 3rd and 4th generation ES does not have a telescoping steering wheel, just a manual tilting one.
A real sludge check is done by removing and inspecting under the front valve cover. Tell-tale signs include low engine oil, a knocking engine, dirty oil cap and black suit at the tailpipe and rear bumper.
Old 12-05-14, 08:43 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Speedkar, you probably no this, but car memes posted an article using your videos
Old 12-06-14, 01:17 PM
longo32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Why don't you just have a mechanic look at it if you're not comfortable doing it
these are the kind of reviews that make me wonder...

"a waste of money"

by montenez from Philadelphia | April 13, 2013

was excited at first had it checked out and was told everything was good but ten days later the cel came on.come to find out had to replace the cat converter and the knock senser and if u know cars then u know those parts are not cheap and that's not including the labor.Darn another thousand down the drain so now I'm selling the car, the h-ll with it.

Really disappointed

by marshman202 from Wilmington NC | November 26, 2012

At first, I was really excited about the vehicle. After all it is a Lexus. It was checked out by a trusted mechanic - said it looked great. So far I've replaced six coils, the transmission, the cat converter, evap issues, and still the CEL is on. Now, I've got to get the timing belt replaced, along with the cam sensors(?). I feel like I've paid for this twice now- and it wasn't cheap the first time. REALLY DISAPPOINTED.

Last edited by longo32; 12-06-14 at 01:21 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-06-14, 05:41 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Speedkar, you probably no this, but car memes posted an article using your videos
I wasn't aware, can you send me the link?

Thanks
Old 12-07-14, 03:03 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by longo32
Yes, watched the video...all of it. All pretty common sense stuff but good to be reminded. Didn't mention much about a Toyota Sludged engine check, from what I have heard, just looking at the oil l filler cap won't tell you much if the owner cleans it up first before you get there. BTW I also looked at your 'transformation pics, your es now looks pretty perky on those new style rims.
You are right about the original es 15" rims they are not very inspiring. good news is tho, probably don't get stolen much! (I would worry about yours tho, the "Midnight Auto Parts" would be drooling over them.)
Thanks man! And that's why I kept my wheel locks
Old 12-07-14, 10:50 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Agreed about the oil sludge issue being evident by other factors, as answered by speedkar9.

Here is the bottom line. You sound like a smart and well educated person. You know your way around cars and you're looking for the cleanest example. Go out and find a private sale, talk with the owner asks about the car's history and condition. Ask for paper records. If you feel good about it, get it, or else move on to the next one.

It's a lot less complicated than you may think and it will give you real hands on experience. We also have a fantastic support group on this forum to help with anything ES related, so I can say with confidence that buy a Lexus ES is one of the best decision I've ever made. You can also check my repair history in my 200k mile checklist thread and see that I purchased a car full of problems.

To paraphrase a great Japanese book about repairing bicycles, any repair begins with a clear and open mind. So don't dwell on it.

Just my two cents.
Old 12-27-14, 08:06 AM
longo32
Driver School Candidate

I am finding more and more es300's for sale with 200000 miles on them. A few of them still look like they just rolled off the assembly line and are very tempting.
My question is this, at 200,000 miles what is worn outby then, and what will still keep going? I am not naive enough to think no 200,000 mile car will be a, turn the key and live happily ever after deal, I have seen some of the es 300 repair stories on this forum and would like to have an idea of how much R&R would be normal for a 1999 to 2000 es300 with those miles? there are some minty ones in California, but all are high milers. And yes, I have been around long enough to know how much repairs cost these days.

here's a recent example of a listing for a 1999 es 300..".Lexus ES 300 Platinum Edition:"

New transmission from Lexus dealer
New timing belt
New timing belt tensioner pulley
New timing belt hydraulic tensioner
New water pump
New alternator belt
New A/C compressor belt
New iridium spark plugs
New interstate group 24 battery
New struts all away around
New air filter
New ceramic brakes

Last edited by longo32; 12-27-14 at 07:50 PM. Reason: more details
Old 12-30-14, 08:06 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by longo32
I am finding more and more es300's for sale with 200000 miles on them. A few of them still look like they just rolled off the assembly line and are very tempting.
My question is this, at 200,000 miles what is worn outby then, and what will still keep going? I am not naive enough to think no 200,000 mile car will be a, turn the key and live happily ever after deal, I have seen some of the es 300 repair stories on this forum and would like to have an idea of how much R&R would be normal for a 1999 to 2000 es300 with those miles? there are some minty ones in California, but all are high milers. And yes, I have been around long enough to know how much repairs cost these days.

here's a recent example of a listing for a 1999 es 300..".Lexus ES 300 Platinum Edition:"

New transmission from Lexus dealer
New timing belt
New timing belt tensioner pulley
New timing belt hydraulic tensioner
New water pump
New alternator belt
New A/C compressor belt
New iridium spark plugs
New interstate group 24 battery
New struts all away around
New air filter
New ceramic brakes
That listing covers all the major repairs. Other than that, I would look at the gauges and the radio lights.
Old 12-30-14, 05:16 PM
DennisCB
Rookie

i bought mine about 3 weeks ago a 98 es300 for 3600.00 with 118.000 miles
Old 12-30-14, 05:56 PM
longo32
Driver School Candidate

Yes the previous owner spent a bundle on all those repairs, but the car was Black on Black, and no heated seats, a deal breaker for me. Still looking for a crystal white and gold color combo...tan interior with working bun warmers...Too picky?
Old 12-30-14, 06:26 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least you know what you want. Btw, instead of a dedicated scan gauge, why not try an elm327 wireless adapter that will interface with your phone. I got one off of ebay for $12 and run the "torque" app, it lets you see and clear codes, create gauges for anything on your obd2 and datalog. Also, the paid version of torque is way better than the free version and is $5. Pretty much the best $20 mod you can do.

Last edited by JetsonES; 12-30-14 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-31-14, 12:10 PM
longo32
Driver School Candidate

Sounds great but Sorry Jets,' I still use a rotary dial phone...

Quick Reply: es300 shopper