ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

My first DIY oil change with oil extractor, a couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 05:36 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

this is awesome! im looking for evidence that transmission oil can be changed on this model as well this way. is yours 2002-2004 es300 or earlier? any tips you can give for changing tranny oil with oil extractor? this is my next mini project.
Thanks!!!!

Originally Posted by OceanView
I've used an oil extractor on all my cars including my high mileage ES300 without any issues.
No sludge ever and no difference in the amount of oil removed.
It's much faster and of course cleaner to use an extractor.

It's also great for changing transmission oil as well.
Old 12-17-14, 11:12 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rlx101
this is awesome! im looking for evidence that transmission oil can be changed on this model as well this way. is yours 2002-2004 es300 or earlier? any tips you can give for changing tranny oil with oil extractor? this is my next mini project.
Thanks!!!!
Look at my signature for car info
Old 12-18-14, 02:09 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OceanView
Look at my signature for car info
have you done es330 tranny oil as well? you dont have that many miles on it.
Old 12-18-14, 11:24 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rlx101
have you done es330 tranny oil as well? you dont have that many miles on it.
Yes I have. I usually change every 10K miles since I can't completely remove all the fluid at once.
Tranny fluid is cheap and since I'm doing at home relatively easily, I don't mind doing it often.
Old 12-19-14, 06:07 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

A tranny drain and fill on the ES330 could not be easier. In fact, I have done it without having to put the car on the ramps.

Ditto the oil change if you go in from the top on the oil filter.
Old 12-19-14, 03:28 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's how I get my oil filter off without making a mess.

- Drive the car home from work to warm up the engine, when you pull into the garage, drive it up on ramps.
- Put drain pan under car, grab 14mm wrench and a rag.
- Remove drain plug. Open hood, remove fill plug.
- Go inside, drink a beer, eat dinner, go to bed.
- Next morning, reach in from above, remove oil filter. It will be empty.
- Spin new filter on (be sure to lube the seal).
- Drain plug in, dump in 5 quarts.
- Go to work.
Old 12-19-14, 04:46 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,689 Likes on 2,276 Posts

There should always be oil in the filter no matter how long the car has been sitting. As for lubing the gasket you don't have to do that with the Toyota filters they come with grease already applied, a nice touch.
Old 12-21-14, 11:56 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
There should always be oil in the filter no matter how long the car has been sitting.
I know all about the anti-drainback valve that is supposed to be in the filter, but truthfully it doesn't last forever. I always use OEM filters, I've been doing this technique for 20+ years, and it is always empty in the morning. Try it.

As for lubing the gasket you don't have to do that with the Toyota filters they come with grease already applied, a nice touch.
Not ALL OEM filters are pre-lubed, and none of the aftermarket ones are (AFAIK). Besides, I always run a dab of fresh oil around the O-ring seal, it doesn't hurt.

Last edited by KLF; 12-21-14 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-21-14, 01:14 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Oil Extractor from top side

Using an oil extractor from the top side of the engine compartment is actually the official recommended method per Mercedes Benz for ALL MB's EXCEPT AMG models. AMG models usually have TWO oil drainage plugs needed to unscrew. Having owned both MB AMG and non-AMG's, changing oil with the oil extractor is way less messy. But I still have to get the MB AMG up on the ramps to unscrew the two plugs and drain oil. One thing the MB's design which I like is that the oil filter is on TOP of the engine and very easy to get to UNLIKE the Toyota's and Lexus's and most Japanese cars where the oil filter is at the BOTTOM of the engine.

I had done an experiment where after I had sucked out all the oil out of one of my non-AMG MB's and then I unscrewed the oil drain plug and only minimum oil came out. It is true that MB designed its oil dip stick hole ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF DRAIN PAN. I am not sure if this is true in Toyota/Lexus cars????? So if one tries to suck out the oil with an oil extractor may not get enough oil out???

Just my two cents worth.

Originally Posted by PFB
Some cars, My old Mercedes for example, were designed so that an oil extractor can be used througt the dipstick. Their dipstick was reaching the very bottom of the oil pan for that specific reason.

I don't know how far down the Lexus dipstick reaches, but if it does not reach all the way to the bottom of the oil pan, than its not a good idea to use this procedure.

Phil
Old 12-21-14, 11:14 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Using an oil extractor from the top side of the engine compartment is actually the official recommended method per Mercedes Benz for ALL MB's EXCEPT AMG models. AMG models usually have TWO oil drainage plugs needed to unscrew. Having owned both MB AMG and non-AMG's, changing oil with the oil extractor is way less messy. But I still have to get the MB AMG up on the ramps to unscrew the two plugs and drain oil. One thing the MB's design which I like is that the oil filter is on TOP of the engine and very easy to get to UNLIKE the Toyota's and Lexus's and most Japanese cars where the oil filter is at the BOTTOM of the engine. I had done an experiment where after I had sucked out all the oil out of one of my non-AMG MB's and then I unscrewed the oil drain plug and only minimum oil came out. It is true that MB designed its oil dip stick hole ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF DRAIN PAN. I am not sure if this is true in Toyota/Lexus cars????? So if one tries to suck out the oil with an oil extractor may not get enough oil out??? Just my two cents worth.
Being a DIYer, I always admired the top mounted oil filters on other makes. Although now that I think of it, I may understand why some companies insist on having it at the bottom.

The anti drain valve that was just mentioned could be one of the reasons. When the oil filter is facing down, there is less risk of a dry startup/engine wear, because the container will always be filled with oil. They essentially protect the consumer against defective filter systems.

p.s.: What model/year AMG do you own? I always loved AMG Mercedes, but heard a lot of horror stories about long term ownership.
Old 12-22-14, 03:17 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I had a 2006 MB SLK280 and a 2006 MB SLK55 AMG at the same time for years at two different locations due to work. So when I fly into one location I had one and when I am at home I had the other. Never had any BIG problems with neither. BUT.......

In my opinion most of the MB's (and other Germans cars) are way over engineered and very complicated and more things can go wrong at any time versus most of the Japanese counterparts. So with one year remaining in the EXTENDED warranty and some 11K miles left in the EXTENDED warranty I sold the SLK280 last year. I really did not want to, but since with my busy schedule I really did not want to deal with any potential problems down the road. The young chap was very happy to buy it from me (as that SLK280 had the AMG rims with aftermarket chromed and all the trimmings except it did not have the true V8 AMG engine, it had the 3 liter V6. That thing will turn heads anywhere it went. Very sharp indeed.)

After the EXTENDED warranty ran out on the SLK55 AMG I decided to keep it since I really missed my other SLK280 after I sold it last year. Also it is not my daily driver, so I can really baby it. No problems with the SLK55 AMG at all. I do most of the routine service. It has low mileage at around 40K miles. It is time for the tranny oil change soon which is a somewhat more work to do, but not impossible to do it myself. Also the rear differential oil will need to be changed at the same time soon.

BTW, I bought both used when they were about a couple of years old with MB manufacturer's warranty intact and then I also bought extended warranty through a third party just in case type of thing. I only used the extended warranty once on the SLK280 when I ran into some kind of metal rebar on the interstate at night with heavy traffic and I could not get out of the way. It blew one of the rear tire and also badly damaged the 18 inch AMG chromed rim beyond repair. The extended warranty had a zero deductible for road hazard tire and rim damage coverage. So I called and tested the warranty out. Initially they will only cover NON-Chromed small 16 inch regular SLK rims for that year model for the SLK280. But I was able to prove that the car came from the factory with the AMG 18 inch rims (although non-chromed) with its data sheet and a stamped plate inside the gas cap and the original selling MB dealer in CA. Then the extended warranty company said OK, but not the CHROMED rimes. So I called up the chrome shop in LA who sold the original dealer the chrome rims (since officially MB does not sell cars with chrome rims.......but yes, you will find them on the MB dealer lots, but these are not done at the factory and MB officially says no since chroming if not done correctly will weaken the rims.) With some negotiation, the extended warranty agreed to a $100 charge that I will have to pay for the chrome part. So it all worked out where the extended warranty paid around $1500 for the matching AMG 18 inch chromed rim PLUS a matching new tire all balanced and ready to go shipping included from the LA chrome shop. All I had to pay was $100. I guess if I shopped a little harder I probably can find cheaper replacements, but due to chroming......I wanted it to be done correctly. Also the extended warranty company had me go to a licensed repair shop to document the tire and rim damage so I went to an MB dealer. Also they wanted to know how much tread was left on the damaged tire. There was a minimum requirement tread remaining to qualify for this and I forgot what it was........I think it was whatever the minimum legal limit and I had way more since I had just replaced the rear tires some couple months prior to that. So all checked out. Of course, I took pics of my own just in case.

Anyway, I still enjoy the SLK55 AMG every time I drive it. Who knows, maybe I will trade it in for one of the new Lexus RC-F? Time will tell as the supply and demand of the RC-F catches up.

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Being a DIYer, I always admired the top mounted oil filters on other makes. Although now that I think of it, I may understand why some companies insist on having it at the bottom.

The anti drain valve that was just mentioned could be one of the reasons. When the oil filter is facing down, there is less risk of a dry startup/engine wear, because the container will always be filled with oil. They essentially protect the consumer against defective filter systems.

p.s.: What model/year AMG do you own? I always loved AMG Mercedes, but heard a lot of horror stories about long term ownership.

Last edited by lexusrus; 12-22-14 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-22-14, 07:27 PM
pauloil
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is fine to suck the oil out of the 330, having done it once or twice. I think you only get 4.8 qts out and couldn't put full 5 qt. in. it worked well!