ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Oil in spark plugs-assistance please

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-14, 09:17 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Try searching the forum for P1349. I just did a quick google search and there is a lot if info about that code.
Old 12-01-14, 10:22 AM
mendy74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So found a thread with similar fault codes and recommended cleaning the Oil Control Valve and the Oil Control Valve filter. So did this on both banks, the even cylinders the valve looked newer and the rear valve on the firewall side looked like it was probably the original. I cleaned them no gunk or anything in either side. I think on here they called it the VVT variable valve timing solenoid, but anyway cleaned them, but not sure from that fault code if it could have been the front or rear, but cleaned them both. I will see how it runs, but any feedback would be great thanks.
Old 12-01-14, 11:56 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

P1349 is bank one Oil control valve. I would replace that and go from there. That sensor can cause rough idling, misfiring, and the trans to act weird. It would make sense for your #3 cylinder to misfire if your oil control valve is bad, usually the whole bank misfires though.
Old 12-01-14, 11:58 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Oops I didn't see your reply about already cleaning them. Hopefully that solves your issue!
Old 12-01-14, 12:09 PM
mendy74
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lostape45
Oops I didn't see your reply about already cleaning them. Hopefully that solves your issue!
So I will see how it goes, the front one definitely looks like it was replaced, but the back one on cylinders 1,3,5 looked to be OEM. Will start with those and check back thanks so much.
Old 12-01-14, 05:12 PM
mendy74
Driver School Candidate

Ok so drove it after the cleaning and no go same symptoms. Do I replace both of the Solenoids or just the one that looks older on the right? The misfire from the check engine previously came from the 3 cylinder.

Thanks
Old 12-01-14, 06:41 PM
lostape45
Advanced

I would only replace the "old" one that you described on bank one since that's where cylinder 3 is. It's still odd to me that you are only getting the 3rd cylinder to misfire because usually the whole bank does when the oil control valve fails. Maybe you should look into switching the ignition coils to see if your one on cylinder 3 is bad. Do a search on the forum and I'm sure you can find some instructions. Maybe you should try that before replacing the OCV.
Old 12-01-14, 09:31 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lostape45
I would only replace the "old" one that you described on bank one since that's where cylinder 3 is. It's still odd to me that you are only getting the 3rd cylinder to misfire because usually the whole bank does when the oil control valve fails. Maybe you should look into switching the ignition coils to see if your one on cylinder 3 is bad. Do a search on the forum and I'm sure you can find some instructions. Maybe you should try that before replacing the OCV.
I agree with lostape45, do some more troubleshooting on cylinder 3 before replacing the OCV.

Originally Posted by mendy74
To recap, had oil in spark plugs changed the valve/tube gaskets, after I was done idle was rough triggered cylinder 3 misfire. The vacuum line I replaced going behind to the back of the plenum was too large due to from autoparts store needed OEM. Thanks to forum, Toyota dealership hooked me up with the tube, put it on, I also swapped the coil in cylinder three with the front side of motor to cylinder 4 to see if the misfire would jump. Car ran fine for two days probably around 50 miles, then started the rough idle again and when I came to a stop yesterday brake pedal depressed all the way and had to pump it. This happened two times during the rough idle. I went over to pull the codes this morning started the car had same rough idle for about 10 seconds then kicked into a high rpm at around 2K, idled down as it warmed up then ran fine to the autoparts store they pulled the code and no misfire code but triggered a P1349.

Any assistance would be great thanks again.
1. What vacuum line did you replace? Could you please point it out on a diagram or take a picture?

when I came to a stop yesterday brake pedal depressed all the way and had to pump it. This happened two times during the rough idle
2. What did you mean by this statement? Did you lose power brakes? What did the pedal pumping do?

3. You said that you swapped the #3 coil with the #4 cylinder and you have NOT seen another misfire code appear. Was the #3 coil covered in oil, like before? Did you see any oil in the spark plug hole?

Last edited by Hayk; 12-01-14 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 05:14 AM
mendy74
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I agree with lostape45, do some more troubleshooting on cylinder 3 before replacing the OCV.

1. What vacuum line did you replace? Could you please point it out on a diagram or take a picture?

2. What did you mean by this statement? Did you lose power brakes? What did the pedal pumping do?

3. You said that you swapped the #3 coil with the #4 cylinder and you have NOT seen another misfire code appear. Was the #3 coil covered in oil, like before? Did you see any oil in the spark plug hole?
1.The vacuum line that runs if your facing the motor it comes from the vacuum switch valve to the silver little canister on the left side of the plenum. I can get a picture later.
2. The brakes depressed all the way, when pumped they came back I have not had that issue since.
3. I have not seen another misfire appear. After I replaced the vacuum line with factory line the car ran fine for a bit then started to do the same thing like it was missing check engine came on and shot out the cylinder three misfire. I then swapped that coil with number four. After driving the check engine went off then next day taking the kids to school the check engine came on again and threw the p1349. I did check all the plugs and they were all dry.

Thanks again I will wait to order anything until I get some thoughts.
Old 12-02-14, 08:01 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

There is a lot of things going on at once, so I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. A lot of times, trouble codes will misguide you in finding the source of a problem, because they show codes that are related to the problem. I would recommend that you find a mechanic who has access to a professional grade scanner that can trigger the OCV to turn on and off, to see if it's working properly. Then go from there.

The thing about your brakes sounds like an engine vacuum/brake booster issue, that's all I can say.
Old 12-05-14, 10:44 AM
mendy74
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Pulled the trigger ordered the VVT solenoid on the right side that looked like it was original. Car...knock on wood has run beautifully since swapping it yesterday around 70 miles on it since changing so hopefully its all set.

Thanks so much to everyone