ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

DESPERATE for break and rotor help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 10:33 AM
TCSMOM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation DESPERATE for break and rotor help

I was told when I bought my car everything from top to bottom had been replaced if it wasn't like new. Had break system lights come on and received help for a easy fix. Tires had 12 psi over. Drove great until about two weeks ago. I heard what sounded like sandpaper on rotor rt front. I was going to get brake pads when I got paid. The day I bought them we were driving and the sound just erupted. Going easy back home and was coming to a slow stop and the brakes almost didn't work. My son took wheel and rotor off and the pads were thin as paper and the rotor had pretty bad grooves all around. He checked the left ft and both looked almost new. It was just the rt front. After changing and while bleeding brakes the hose that went into the caliber shot the screw out and from looking at it, the piece inside looked like it exploded.
What would cause that to happen and so fast. Tonight he's going to see about getting the new hose and line that goes into the master put in. I had to buy one that he is going to have to bend himself. Can anyone help with instructions so it doesn't get kinks or bent.
When I bought the car I also bought a downloaded manual because he is the only one I have to do the maintenance. Well this is way more than that.
If anyone can tell us what else we need to check or look for we would certainly appreciate any feedback we can get.
This is my only means of transportation so I have to get it up and running safely.
Old 11-05-14, 12:07 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You were told when you bought your car.....
Never believe the seller.
Old 11-05-14, 04:17 PM
TCSMOM
Driver School Candidate

Default car sellers

I do know how some people can be. I did take it and had a diagnostic test and put on lift to check everything I was told had been done and there were no signs that I was lied to. It had a clean carfax report. The only thing that showed was to much air in tires.
Can you please let me know if there was anything else I should have done. I'm here to learn anything I can.
Old 11-06-14, 08:42 PM
kailuaguy
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear your situation.
You say that it looks like something exploded when you were bleeding the brakes. It may be the internals of the flex hose that goes to the caliper. Replace the flex hose and the caliper. I'd replace two front flex hoses and calipers so you'd have even braking pressure.
Old 11-07-14, 06:58 AM
toytrain13
Rookie

Sorry, but it is "brake."
Old 11-15-14, 09:25 AM
TCSMOM
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your advice and help. At least we're making headway on what all else to change and check.

Thanks again so much
Old 11-15-14, 03:38 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

You either have a seized caliper or a restricted flex hose, or both. The pressure in the line was so much that the weakest spot in the flex hose gave and exploded.

Since only one side of the brakes are worn down, I suspect that caliper is seized closed and wore through the brakes. You'll have to replace that caliper, flex hose, rotor and set of pads on that side.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-14, 04:51 PM
1960vw
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brakes were probably fine when you bought it but a stuck caliper can go through pads and score the rotor real quick! No real warning when it freezes until the damage has begun. Like speedkar stated, replace those parts and you will be fine. Mine did that awhile back but was able to turn the rotors to specs. Keep on top of the oil changes and it should last forever!