ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

A couple things Lexus didn't get right

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 04:00 PM
bullrider
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple things Lexus didn't get right

Just bought my first Lexus, a 2005 ES330 with 150K on it. I don't drive a lot of miles and I know it's good for a whole lot more so it didn't bother me to buy a used car with that many on the clock.

I love the car, it's great and I doubt it will be my last Lexus. But there are two things that Lexus got wrong which, to my bewilderment, Dodge got right on my 2001 Dakota pickup truck, and one other besides:
1. The way the power window lockout switch works, if you lock out the passenger windows, the driver can't open them either without unlocking them. This is just enough opportunity for my three year old to start monkeying with the button at his window. With every other car I've had, locking out the passenger windows leaves them operable by the driver only - it doesn't lock them out for the driver as well.
2. The HomeLink buttons in the ceiling aren't lit. In the dark you have to reach up and feel for them. In my Dakota pickup they are illuminated with one, two and three dots so you can see and identify them at a glance.
3. One small thing that isn't relevant to the Dakota but which still surprises me is that the trunk and gas filler buttons on the lower left part of the dash aren't lit. I've learned to feel for them and know which is which, but it still surprised me that a car with a handbag hook for the passenger, and footlights (!), would overlook lighting all the controls.

The car drives great though and I'm loving it.
Old 11-03-14, 04:17 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

It's threads like this that remind me why I always buy Toyota/Lexus!

Our biggest concerns are about lighting!
Old 11-03-14, 04:26 PM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll add a couple more.

The power outlet in the glove box next to the CD changer is all but useless. Why didn't they put it in a more accessible location??

The headrests should be mounted further forward. When you lay your head against them you're looking at the headliner.
Old 11-04-14, 05:23 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz330
I'll add a couple more.

The power outlet in the glove box next to the CD changer is all but useless. Why didn't they put it in a more accessible location??

The headrests should be mounted further forward. When you lay your head against them you're looking at the headliner.
Yeah, Lexus ES sucks.
Old 11-04-14, 05:54 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, the VSC/traction control and heated seats are optional in the ES. My (bought used) 03 ES doesn't have either. I think for a luxury car in 03 those two should have been standard. They are standard in the GS way back to 98, heck, even the Acura TL had them standard back in 99. Just saying.
Old 11-04-14, 04:22 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Heated seats were options on all lexus, even the ls. The GS it wasn't standard until 2006, from what I understand it was a regional thing as well. That being said you bought used, if you wanted the options, why didn't ou just buy one with them?
Old 11-04-14, 06:20 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I think it's strange how my 2000 windows roll down. They go down at an angle instead of straight inside the door like every other car so it's loud as **** in your left ear if you just crack it
Old 11-04-14, 07:01 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Is there a power outlet on the 4 ES in the glove box for cars with a CD changer? I don't have one in mine (CD changer is in-dash on the 4th gen), but having a power plug in the glove box is useful for me to run my dash-cam to without having annoying wires taking up space on my console. I actually hardwired an extension to the glove-box on all my cars for this purpose.

I couldn't agree more. The headrests are too far back even when adjusted and won't help much with preventing whiplash. The headrests in my Solara sit much more forward and actually support your head when in a normal driving position.
Old 11-05-14, 04:28 AM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Is there a power outlet on the 4 ES in the glove box for cars with a CD changer? I don't have one in mine (CD changer is in-dash on the 4th gen), but having a power plug in the glove box is useful for me to run my dash-cam to without having annoying wires taking up space on my console. I actually hardwired an extension to the glove-box on all my cars for this purpose.

I couldn't agree more. The headrests are too far back even when adjusted and won't help much with preventing whiplash. The headrests in my Solara sit much more forward and actually support your head when in a normal driving position.
Sorry, I meant to say center console instead of glove box. But I agree, an outlet in the glove box would be very useful.
Old 11-05-14, 06:03 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Heated seats were options on all lexus, even the ls. The GS it wasn't standard until 2006, from what I understand it was a regional thing as well. That being said you bought used, if you wanted the options, why didn't ou just buy one with them?
How about the VSC/traction control? Not just luxury but safety.
Point of the thread is to gripe about dis-satisfactions (not that it would change anything at this time) that we feel a luxury car like a Lexus could have done better; after all, the slogan is 'The Pursuit of Perfection".
I think you taking a defensive stance (on the brand's behalf) is a little ludicrous. Of course I could have bought one with all those features, of course I could have bought a Maybach with refrigerators inside, but the whole point of this thread is to mention things Lexus didn't get right. Somebody would read this and know about the features the ES has and doesn't have, and decide to get an ES or get another Lexus model (or another brand altogether), and if getting an ES would be mindful that certain things are not standard like you would expect.
Again, I paid $1,500 for my 03 ES so I guess you're gonna say I got what I paid for?
Old 11-05-14, 07:35 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

No, id just say that if you wanted more options, you could have gotten a car with them and that the GS also had heated seats as an option contrary to what you said. I was just asking why you didn't get a car with the options you wanted if they were really that important to you? No need to make a scene. Like I sAid before, lexus used to (not sure if they still due) based the cars options on where they were sold. For example, the 2001 Lexus ES300s that went out west or down south almost always had the XEnon headlights, but not the wood wheel or heated seats. RX models that went to those same places would get Fwd instead of AWD, but also offered a sport package with air suspension that you rarely saw up in the north east. I guess lexus thought in warmer areas with no snow they could get away with no heated seats or VSC.

Last edited by RXGS; 11-05-14 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-05-14, 08:37 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
No, id just say that if you wanted more options, you could have gotten a car with them and that the GS also had heated seats as an option contrary to what you said. I was just asking why you didn't get a car with the options you wanted if they were really that important to you? No need to make a scene. Like I sAid before, lexus used to (not sure if they still due) based the cars options on where they were sold. For example, the 2001 Lexus ES300s that went out west or down south almost always had the XEnon headlights, but not the wood wheel or heated seats. RX models that went to those same places would get Fwd instead of AWD, but also offered a sport package with air suspension that you rarely saw up in the north east. I guess lexus thought in warmer areas with no snow they could get away with no heated seats or VSC.
Sounds plausible; good thinking!

Actually, I had owned a 99TL before owning my first Lexus, a 99GS300, then owned a 98GS300, and then an '00GS300 Platinum Edition, all of which had those features, before wanting a more fuel efficient car with better/lasting suspension, a more quiet cabin, less road-feel, and a more modern cabin. The 3-Gen LS I wanted was out of my price range. The 4Gen-ES was the next best thing, and I assumed from my prior ownership of those 'luxury' cars that these features were supposed to be now ordinary in luxury cars, just like leather or ABS or sunroof. A few days later I clicked the key to 'ON' position to light up all the dash lights but still no VSC/Traction control, yet you can see the writing on the gauges. Bought it in February on a warm day, but one cold day before spring I discovered no heated seats. Found out the hard way.
Old 11-07-14, 04:09 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '98 ES had traction control, so I assumed my '05 had it too, I never even thought to check. By the time I figured it out, it was too late. Car came from Texas, ya I get that there's no snow there, but I can spin the tires in that car on wet roads. What dumbass ordered the car without traction control? Especially when it DOES have heated seats?

Other things that I hate:
The transmission
The numb "automatic" wipers
Poor interior and trunk lighting
Old 11-10-14, 03:18 PM
bullrider
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'd like Lexus to have done a few things differently - many of us apparently would have - but when I think of some of the disastrous cars I've owned my ES330 is in a whole different world. And when we're down to complaining (as I did) about dashboard lighting, well, there's people in this world who have to worry about where dinner comes from.

We're very lucky. But I still wish Lexus had done a few little things differently. And while I'm on the subject, my '03 Intrepid has a cargo net that is about 1/3 of the way forward from the back of the trunk which seems a much more useful place to me than smack against the back of the car.

Okay, I'm still happy though.

Last edited by bullrider; 11-17-14 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-11-14, 08:16 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My easy solutions for your problems:

Originally Posted by bullrider
Just bought my first Lexus, a 2005 ES330 with 150K on it. I don't drive a lot of miles and I know it's good for a whole lot more so it didn't bother me to buy a used car with that many on the clock.

I love the car, it's great and I doubt it will be my last Lexus. But there are two things that Lexus got wrong which, to my bewilderment, Dodge got right on my 2001 Dakota pickup truck, and one other besides:
1. The way the power window lockout switch works, if you lock out the passenger windows, the driver can't open them either without unlocking them. This is just enough opportunity for my three year old to start monkeying with the button at his window. With every other car I've had, locking out the passenger windows leaves them operable by the driver only - it doesn't lock them out for the driver as well.

press unlock button (1sec), adjust any window as needed. press lock button (another second).

2. The HomeLink buttons in the ceiling aren't lit. In the dark you have to reach up and feel for them. In my Dakota pickup they are illuminated with one, two and three dots so you can see and identify them at a glance.

press map light (1sec) find your home link button. turn off map light (another second)

3. One small thing that isn't relevant to the Dakota but which still surprises me is that the trunk and gas filler buttons on the lower left part of the dash aren't lit. I've learned to feel for them and know which is which, but it still surprised me that a car with a handbag hook for the passenger, and footlights (!), would overlook lighting all the controls.

see #2.

The car drives great though and I'm loving it.
all it takes is a little bit of thinking... it is good for the brain! use it!

Quick Reply: A couple things Lexus didn't get right