ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2005 ES330 with 180K miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-14, 12:16 PM
lamshekwai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 ES330 with 180K miles

Hello all,
I have recently bought a 2005 Lexus ES330 with a really high mileage (180K) from a car dealer by 6K. The car is in nearly perfect condition and everything seems great. I am happy with it but there are some minor setbacks.

The second day after I purchased this used car, The engine was failed to start and the engine light + oil light was on. I was really freaked out and thought that I have bought a lemon. But after a while the car was okay again and I asked one of my friend who work as a car dealer before. He said the car is great (the break is firmed, the engine is strong, everything functioned well) and said he was driving his former car for 1 year with its engine light on.

Since I have to drive this car from Dallas back home (Colorado). I'm just concerned about the car condition. And I am doubted that the car can go for a long roadtrip with me (800 miles back to colorado). I'm worried that the car might breakdown in the middle of nowhere. Therefore I brought the car back to the car dealer and ask them to do a deep check.

So here is my questions...

1) Normally, how much miles can a Lexus ES330 afford if it is in a great condition?
2) Is it common for people to drive with its engine lights on? Or is it a total risk?
3) is 6K priced reasonable for a car like this (photos attached)

4) Can I bring the car to a nearby lexus service provider to do some go through checking even if I don't have any warranty left? How much would it be cost normally?

I really love Lexus and this is the first car ever that I have owned. I don't have any basic knowledge of a car and I'm really interested on all kind of car knowledge. I really hope that my new wife (I am going to treat this car like my wife) will love me back.

Thanks all and have a great day ahead.

Lam
Old 11-02-14, 12:54 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

It shouldn't have a light one, get it fixed. You may be causing more damage by driving it the way it is, you may be causing no damage at all. Point is you just paid $6k for a car, what good is it to you if you can't use it and depend on it. Pay the money and fix it and have piece of mind, or drive around with a ticking time bomb that could be fine until you sell it or could have a car that'll die any day now. You also have to replace the timing belt at that mileage. As for the price I think you did ok. Lexus are reliable car.....if you maintain them, the problem is a lot of people either can't afford to or chose not to and when Lexus' break, it costs a lot more than your average car. You can bring it to a dealer, it'll cost you about $120 in just diagnostic fee, and they usually charge a lot more for services. A lot of people suggest finding an independent mechanic and they'll usually charge less. Personally I bring my car to the dealer, between the loaner car and the guarantee, it's worth the extra few bucks in most cases versus going through a cheaper and sometimes more aggravating route.
Old 11-02-14, 01:34 PM
haitianb0i
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid $5900 for my 03 with 110xxx miles, so to me I dont think 6k is a reasonable price
Old 11-02-14, 02:23 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

$6k isn't horrible for an 05 with navigation and 180k on the clock. That's if the car is in good mechanical shape.

Get the CEL checked out!

The things you are doing now, i.e. getting it inspected, should have been done prior to purchase.
Old 11-02-14, 03:13 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

haitianboi, you car is a 2003, ill assume it doesn't have all the options, it has the smaller engine, and it has a aftermarket paint job.... i really hope you didn't pay more than $5900.
Old 11-02-14, 06:58 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Get the check engine light checked out.

If you don't have a trusty mechanic, you can take the car to a Toyota dealer for service, as these cars are mechanically identical to the Toyota Camry V6. It will be cheaper than the Lexus dealer.
Old 11-02-14, 10:13 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Most any car parts store will loan you a code reader for free. You can plug it in and read it yourself, then google the code for the meaning. Need to check it as has been mentioned. Or find a really good independent Toyota mechanic to look after it for you.

Our '02 300 (same generation/style as yours) has 227k on it now and runs perfectly, burns no oil, looks like yours except a slight bit more wear on the wheel and front seats. Slight bit. I keep on top of all maintenance, etc. and expect it to go easily well past 300k. Probably still be running as perfectly then as now. Heck, we like the car so much we might keep it to 400k or more!

Verify your timing belt change(s). 180k is getting near or is at the 2nd one being needed.
Old 11-03-14, 10:48 AM
haitianb0i
Rookie

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
haitianboi, you car is a 2003, ill assume it doesn't have all the options, it has the smaller engine, and it has a aftermarket paint job.... i really hope you didn't pay more than $5900.
U assumed wrong... and the aftermarket paint job is after I purchased it
Old 11-03-14, 11:12 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

So you intentionally decreased the value of your car? Interesting. But besides that, your car is also from up north, has the smaller engine, and not the later year updates. Hiscar looks to be in good cosmetic condition, has all the options, and the better engine and the 05-06 upgrades, therefore the price he paid was definitely in a decent range assuming the CEL isn't something major. I do like the idea of lowering, modifying, and putting an aftermarket paint job on a 12 year old ES though.....
Old 11-03-14, 11:44 AM
haitianb0i
Rookie

You say it decreases the value I say it doesnt effect the value at all
Old 11-03-14, 12:10 PM
haitianb0i
Rookie

Did you bring the car back to the same dealer you bought it from or someone in your area?
Old 11-03-14, 01:48 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that's a reasonable price for an 05, and the mileage is not even that high for a Lexus, you will definitely get at least 250K miles out of it with good maintenance. Things to look out for:

1. It sounds like your battery is weak, which is why the car wouldn't start. When it doesn't start, the default lights that turn on are check engine and check oil pressure lights. I would check the battery charge level and replace it if its weak. Costco has a great deal on interstate batteries at 75$ each.

2. The timing belt on these cars is due every 90K miles. Most people tend to replace the water pump while they are in there. Make sure the dealer replaced the timing belt, otherwise you'll have to get it done soon. If you do it at a dealer, it can cost up to $800.

3. Make sure all the fluids (engine oil, transmission oil, brake fluid, coolant) has been changed recently/fairly recently. Clean fluids are the key to keeping these cars forever.

I hope you have many years driving with your new ES. Don't be afraid of the mileage, my 98 has 248K and still runs great! I recently bought an IS350 and that runs wonderful as well, Lexus designs great cars!

-Lawrence
Old 11-03-14, 06:24 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by haitianb0i
You say it decreases the value I say it doesnt effect the value at all
I'd say you would be wrong, as would most people. You can disagree, but its the truth.
Old 11-03-14, 09:32 PM
lamshekwai
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, I have the car checked in the car dealer and they said there are no problem. With no mistake I think they have reset the timebelt/ CEL as well. But I am a really cautious person and tomorrow I will bring the car to Sewell Lexus and have her checked. Really appreciated for you guys' comments
Old 11-03-14, 09:36 PM
lamshekwai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by synrgy350
I think that's a reasonable price for an 05, and the mileage is not even that high for a Lexus, you will definitely get at least 250K miles out of it with good maintenance. Things to look out for:

1. It sounds like your battery is weak, which is why the car wouldn't start. When it doesn't start, the default lights that turn on are check engine and check oil pressure lights. I would check the battery charge level and replace it if its weak. Costco has a great deal on interstate batteries at 75$ each.

2. The timing belt on these cars is due every 90K miles. Most people tend to replace the water pump while they are in there. Make sure the dealer replaced the timing belt, otherwise you'll have to get it done soon. If you do it at a dealer, it can cost up to $800.

3. Make sure all the fluids (engine oil, transmission oil, brake fluid, coolant) has been changed recently/fairly recently. Clean fluids are the key to keeping these cars forever.

I hope you have many years driving with your new ES. Don't be afraid of the mileage, my 98 has 248K and still runs great! I recently bought an IS350 and that runs wonderful as well, Lexus designs great cars!

-Lawrence
Thanks Lawrence, the dealer offered me $1200 to change the timingbelt and I was like
Anyway I will ask Sewell Lexus tomorrow to see if I have to work on anything and I will do it before I get out of Dallas.

Quick Reply: 2005 ES330 with 180K miles