ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1995 ES300 Leakage

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-14, 01:21 PM
jimijamz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 ES300 Leakage

Long time reader-new poster here-
Can anyone identify if this is the heater control in the picture? I can see that the "pin" goes back/forth depending on whether the AC is on or not. I have coolant leaking from it and tried replacing the clamp, however, it does not stop the flow. there is enough coolant leaking that it continues to cause overheating. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 10-28-14, 04:30 PM
kailuaguy
Driver School Candidate

Yes that is the heater valve. Good luck with the repair.
Old 10-28-14, 04:37 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Yes. Ours disintegrated on our GS (same design) and dumped all the fluid out suddenly. Not even leaking before that. Replace it asap. You can get one on Ebay for much less than a dealer. Check that the hoses are not soft/spongy or bulged, too. If so, replace them (most likely you will need to - not expensive).

The OE piece is some fibrous material that does not hold up to heat and coolant chemicals. The replacement I got was a less reactive (appearing) ABS. keep an eye on your temp gauge until you do so, and don't let it overheat.
Old 11-01-14, 07:43 PM
jimijamz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the information. Do ya'll feel that this is a fairly easy DIY? Really on a scale from 1-10, my skills are about a 2.5.
Thanks again.
Old 11-03-14, 08:40 AM
jimijamz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oro
Yes. Ours disintegrated on our GS (same design) and dumped all the fluid out suddenly. Not even leaking before that. Replace it asap. You can get one on Ebay for much less than a dealer. Check that the hoses are not soft/spongy or bulged, too. If so, replace them (most likely you will need to - not expensive).

The OE piece is some fibrous material that does not hold up to heat and coolant chemicals. The replacement I got was a less reactive (appearing) ABS. keep an eye on your temp gauge until you do so, and don't let it overheat.
Oro, kailuaguy-a couple of things. In searching for the actual part needed, I have found 2 different types of parts. These are shown below. Any idea which is the actual or preferred type to use to replace the heater control valve? There is a price difference but if the more expensive part is better, I don't have an issue spending that as the car only has 155,000 miles on it.
Also, unfortunately I have found out that the engine has overheated to the point that the coolant was boiling/bubbling over into the overflow. I have read on here that the boiling could be a sign of HG replacement needed. I checked to oil, was about a quart low (and needs to be changed) but no sign of any type of liquid in it. Thermostat was changed approx. 4 months ago due to overheating issue at that time. The mechanic said that the engine was out of fluid and he felt the thermostat was the cause of overheating/ losing fluid.
Old 11-03-14, 09:25 AM
jimijamz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimijamz
Oro, kailuaguy-a couple of things. In searching for the actual part needed, I have found 2 different types of parts. These are shown below. Any idea which is the actual or preferred type to use to replace the heater control valve? There is a price difference but if the more expensive part is better, I don't have an issue spending that as the car only has 155,000 miles on it.
Also, unfortunately I have found out that the engine has overheated to the point that the coolant was boiling/bubbling over into the overflow. I have read on here that the boiling could be a sign of HG replacement needed. I checked to oil, was about a quart low (and needs to be changed) but no sign of any type of liquid in it. Thermostat was changed approx. 4 months ago due to overheating issue at that time. The mechanic said that the engine was out of fluid and he felt the thermostat was the cause of overheating/ losing fluid.
Parts.
From Sewell Lexus, part #8724033010 (VALVE ASSEMBLY):

From Ebay, Heater Valve:

Old 11-04-14, 07:28 AM
jimijamz
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have anything they care to chime in with on this?
Old 11-04-14, 09:02 PM
kailuaguy
Driver School Candidate

2.5 skill level? Can you get our hands to where the valve is? If you can get your hands there then you can do it. Replace the two hoses that the valve connects to while you're in there.