ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Replaced alternator ABS / trac light comes on and off

Old 10-16-14, 07:54 AM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Replaced alternator ABS / trac light comes on and off

Hey guys,

Last week I was driving my car and got the battery light on my dash. Went to my mechanic and he said the alternator is finished. I ordered a new alternator from rock auto and put it into my car yesterday.

The car started up fine and the battery light is gone. I drove it around last night and all of a sudden the ABS light came on, and also the trac off light, they were flashing on and off.

I came back to my house turned the car off, and then turned it back on again and the lights were gone.

Today I was driving on the highway to work and the light came back on. I stopped for coffee and then the light turned off after restarting the car. The light hasn't come on yet for the rest of the trip back.

What could be the problem?

I spilled some coolant into the engine bay as I had to remove a hose when taking out the alternator, so then I washed it off with some water after all was installed.
Old 10-16-14, 05:30 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I had a similar problem. The car came with a TYC alternator and kept throwing ABS lights every once in a blue moon, and I couldn't figure out why. The ABS codes didn't make any sense and I even replaced the ABS pump. Some guy on here had the same issue as me, and after replacing all his ABS components, decided to replace the alternator. The problem immediately went away. I did the same by going with a Denso alternator and it fixed my issues as well.

I know the alternators on these cars are not very strong, so maybe the water damaged something inside, that resulted in less than optimal output. I would recommend checking your electrical connections and testing the battery first. If those are good, then go for another alternator, preferably a Denso one.
Old 10-17-14, 06:25 AM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My 3rd day of driving and so far the light hasn't come back on. My dad said it might be that there was moisture somewhere and was causing the code, now that the engine is dried up all is well. Everything seems to be working.

I didn't get the denso alternator, I got this one

TYC Part # 213747 More Info **#2706020120, 270602012084} One of our most popular parts
w/ OE Manufacturer Denso; Amps: 80A; Pulley Type: w/ 6 Groove Pulley