ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How to determine if timing belt/water pump is Original?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-14, 06:52 AM
Deal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to determine if timing belt/water pump is Original?

I have a 2003 ES300 that I bought at 120k km and now has 200k km/120k miles. I don't know if the timing belt and waterpump have ever been changed. Is there a way to figure it out? I know I'm due for it anyhow. I want to know if I can hold off until Spring or not.
Old 10-02-14, 08:35 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I assume you don't have the service record.
Sometimes, the mechanic put a sticker on the timing belt cover.
Old 10-02-14, 09:58 AM
Deal
Driver School Candidate

There is nothing on the timing belt cover. I called the dealership that sold it new (that information was left in my owners manual) and they had the service records. No timing belt service. Makes sense when he said it isn't scheduled until 160k km and I owned it before then. I'm only 45k overdue. They quoted me $850 + tax to do it which I assume is about double what an independent would do it for. I've watched speedkar's video 3 times and still deciding if I should give it a go. I will shop for the kit and have it on hand in case it gives up before i get to it.
Old 10-02-14, 11:36 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry to derail your thread but quick question. How standard is it to change the water pump while doing the timing belt? Records show my belt was done but says nothing about the pump
Old 10-02-14, 12:29 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Belt change is specified in xxx km or yy months whichever comes first.
I had a 97 ES300 and was able to do the timing belt in about 2 hours with basic hand tools.
But I remember when I first did it many many years ago for the first time, it took me about 6-8 hours for timing belt and water pump.
Old 10-02-14, 03:52 PM
manny4ag
Driver School Candidate

The timing belt on these are cars have a service interval of 100k miles or 10 years which ever comes first. Usually when you service a timing belt, the water pump is replaced since it is located inside the timing belt cover. If you don't have any sticker or marking around that cover, your timing belt has not been replaced along with the water pump.

It's not horribly hard to do it but you must make sure that your timing marks are spot on. If not, the car will run like a turd.
Old 10-02-14, 06:26 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

On the 1MZ-FE the Aisin water-pump actually has the manufacture date stamped on it in a circle on the right side. Unfortunately, accessing the water-pump means removing the timing belt covers which is more than half of a timing belt job right there. Here's what my Solara's waterpump looked like (you can see its stamped 99/1 (Jan 1999), original pump, previous owner only changed the belt in 2006 according to records):

Originally Posted by Deal
I've watched speedkar's video 3 times and still deciding if I should give it a go.
I say go for it! Just make sure you have all the tools you need before hand, such as an impact wrench to take off crank bolt, a crank puller, a camshaft holding tool and seal remover if doing front seals.
Old 10-02-14, 07:10 PM
Deal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9

I say go for it! Just make sure you have all the tools you need before hand, such as an impact wrench to take off crank bolt, a crank puller, a camshaft holding tool and seal remover if doing front seals.
And a backup car!

Thanks for the encouragement and the video's. Last weekend I did the plugs, and flushed transmission and steering fluids, cleaned MAF, throttle body IACV, replaced PCV. All from tips found here. I'm still not positive I will do this one by myself because I have an excellent trustworthy independent mechanic that I don't mind paying. I might offend him if that gets done without him!

I do like a challenge though. I will pick up the kit and then see if the weather holds.
Old 10-03-14, 01:05 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Sorry to derail your thread but quick question. How standard is it to change the water pump while doing the timing belt? Records show my belt was done but says nothing about the pump
If you are sorry, why did you do it? Start your own thread, please.
Old 10-03-14, 07:22 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Deal
And a backup car!

Thanks for the encouragement and the video's. Last weekend I did the plugs, and flushed transmission and steering fluids, cleaned MAF, throttle body IACV, replaced PCV. All from tips found here. I'm still not positive I will do this one by myself because I have an excellent trustworthy independent mechanic that I don't mind paying. I might offend him if that gets done without him!

I do like a challenge though. I will pick up the kit and then see if the weather holds.
You remind me of the first time I tried a timing belt job on my Lexus. I too was excited to try the job myself. Things didn't go well and I wasn't prepared with the proper tools. It was a crunch for time to finish it on the weekend so I can drive to work on Monday. I snapped bolts and ended up taking it to a mechanic to finish the job. A second car would have negated the need for rushing the job and provided an alternative to the 2 hour bus/subway ride to work for the two days I didn't have my car
The second time I did a timing belt I did it all in 8 hours, including making the video. I did my research, gathered all my tools, have a second car to get me around just in case and everything went smoothly. You will learn from experience but you have to start once before you can get experience.
Old 10-04-14, 02:16 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

8 hours...that's long. I guess you were making a video.

On my 97 ES, it took me +2 hours.
On my 06 ES, it took me almost 4 hours....first time.
Old 10-04-14, 07:22 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BDSL
8 hours...that's long. I guess you were making a video.

On my 97 ES, it took me +2 hours.
On my 06 ES, it took me almost 4 hours....first time.
Were you doing TB, water pump and front seals? While the video did take some time and I took my time with breaks in between, that rear cam seal took up more than an hour of my time trying to get it out and in.

If I were to redo the job again and had all my tools ready I could probably do a TB/WP in 2 or 3 hours. I just like to take my sweet time when working on my cars, and that's why I don't want to become a mechanic
Old 10-05-14, 12:14 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Why did you even quote me? Are you a mod?
Old 10-05-14, 05:41 AM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
There's always one like you in every crowd.
Old 10-07-14, 02:17 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz330
There's always one like you in every crowd.
You may think I am an A-Hole but it really hampers the usefulness of this site when folks hijack threads, especially when they ask an unrelated question. It is understand for a new person who may not know better, but to apologize for the hijack in advance and then proceed to do it anyway is bad form.

Last edited by artbuc; 10-07-14 at 02:20 AM.

Quick Reply: How to determine if timing belt/water pump is Original?