ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97 3es - Bad City Mileage.... Still Decent Highway Mileage? How?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-14, 02:26 PM
dlamb89
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the delay. Anyhow, I'll be honest, I did not record the mileage accurately. I drove all highway for about 100 miles and did the math (miles after odometer reset / gallons I filled from the last full tank). And I did the math again around the same amount of miles for city. So it wasn't a full tank. I never end up driving all highway or all city through a whole tank. it's usually two thirds highway, one third city.

I used techron concentrate plus almost empty and filled up. I did not get the larger bottle. I did not get to do the math, but I am getting slightly higher numbers.

I also go the front passenger wheel bearing replaced. that seems to help as well, also definitely seems more gliding, and quieter. What sucks is I got this replaced because of a sound that was just like a bad wheel bearing, but it turns out even after replacing it, I still have this sound. It did fix another sound I barely noticed at slow speeds or coming to a stop (like a constant, low pitched howling wind), which I thought was the same as the main noise I brought it in the shop for. Turns out these are two different ones. Mechanic says it could be a bearing on the axle (center bearing)? Also said it could be something in the transmission, but I highly doubt that, because not only do I have any transmission problems whatsoever, I've put it in neutral while coasting, and I've also noticed the noise does not change at all between gears, or even being in different gears. It is all relevant to the speed, it is much louder when turning left, it gets quieter the more I kick it down, it's loudest at 35 mph and 50 mph, and gets quieter as you go up of it. What the hell?

Lastly, I noticed a sound that you would describe as an air leak. It happens around 1/3 of the pedal down and between 2600-3100 rpm. I'm sure it still leaks if you kick it down more, but the engine gets loud so it's hard to hear. I don't notice any noticeable performance loss. But, the gas mileage seems to drop whenever I hear it (needle goes down way more, and long-term the numbers are less)

Phew. So that's what I got. and, I have a new video showing all the fuel trims, load @ 2k and 3k, and I kept it long enough on each rpm this time.
Old 11-30-14, 06:35 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I'm no expert, but your fuel trim looks normal. I would say that you have other things affecting your fuel economy, such as your calculations and any kind of mechanical drag.
Old 12-11-14, 06:33 PM
dlamb89
Rookie

Well, for some reason, the front left tire had way less PSI than the others, this explains the drag to the right. It's even now, and my mpg seems more normal.

Now, I'm starting to hear a low-end whine that raises in pitch from 0 as I increase speed, but does not change when it shifts. It goes away when i let off the gas. It's not loud, but it's concerning me. Changed the trans fluid, no difference. Any ideas?
Old 12-11-14, 07:12 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it only when the car is in gear, or is it still there when you give it gas in neutral?
Old 12-11-14, 08:50 PM
dlamb89
Rookie

Originally Posted by lostape45
Is it only when the car is in gear, or is it still there when you give it gas in neutral?
It does not happen in park or neutral. I'm not 100% sure about neutral, but I'm pretty certain. I'll try it again next time. But lets say it doesn't happen in neutral, are you saying it could point towards something in the tranny?
Old 12-12-14, 07:43 AM
lostape45
Advanced

I would think so. Because if it was the power steering pump or alternator, it would be whining all the time. But since it happens when you put it in gear, it seems it could be a trans issue. Did you make sure to change your fluid with the correct one? Sometimes that can be the cause of a trans whine.
Old 12-14-14, 10:16 AM
dlamb89
Rookie

I would think so. Because if it was the power steering pump or alternator, it would be whining all the time. But since it happens when you put it in gear, it seems it could be a trans issue. Did you make sure to change your fluid with the correct one? Sometimes that can be the cause of a trans whine.
Damn, I am really losing it. The answer I was giving you regarding how it only happened in drive was for a different sound that I posted in another thread. The wheel bearing sound occurs between 35-60 mph, and is louder when turning left, and also when there is more weight. it happens no matter what gear I'm in, even neutral. I changes in pitch and speed only with the wheels. You can' t really hear it if you press the gas in 1/3 or more

Last edited by dlamb89; 12-14-14 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-14-14, 12:02 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Ohh okay I see. Yeah that isn't your trans then, it has to be something with your bearing if it's there when the car is in neutral and coasting.
Old 12-16-14, 10:24 AM
dlamb89
Rookie

Ohh okay I see. Yeah that isn't your trans then, it has to be something with your bearing if it's there when the car is in neutral and coasting.
Yeah that's what I figured. Someone also mentioned it could be a drive shaft bearing, is this also worth considering? Because I got the right front bearing replaced, as mentioned earlier, and they did say it was old, and i do feel and hear a difference.

Here is a video of the sound. If you don't have speakers or headphones that deliver good low end, you will not hear it. Try to listen out for a low end oscillating sound, THAT is the sound that I am regarding. You start to really hear it 0:11-0:20

EDIT: regarding your question about the trans fluid, it occurred before and after the change, so I don't think it has to do with that. It seems quieter, so I'll worry about it later, and post athread regarding that if it worsens. listen closely @ 0:27-0:32, taht's the whine I was talking about

DOUBLE EDIT: I'm going to post this video into my other thread, since this thread regards the MPG issue, which has seemed to be resolved.

Last edited by dlamb89; 12-16-14 at 10:48 AM.