ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1997 ES300 needs new engine or should I sell it

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-14, 03:36 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Like most people here, I'll suggest to get rid of it and you could probably get another es300 in decent shape for a good price, probably a 2000 or 2001. On another note, like you, and others, I had a very very hard time getting rid of my car. Despite 240,000 miles, a power steering leak, and needing new parking brakes, I did not want to get rid of it. I kept it for another 6 months after getting my new car. I think part of it was because we had had it for so long, another reason is because it was so trouble free. In the 14 years we owned it, it was pretty trouble free and it did everything well. That and I was so used to the size of it, driving a new ES I didn't realize how gigantic (or how small my Es) was. It may be strange, but I always consider buying another es300 because I liked it that much.
Old 08-29-14, 03:46 PM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lostape45
I would say if you have the time and patience, part it out, you'll get at least $650 if it is in as good shape as you say and possibly more. I hate to see you get cheated out of such a nice ride.

I wouldn't know how to begin to part it out... nor do I have the energy at this time. I have no idea what parts costs or how to remove them from the car. Wish I could sell the parts and make some money to put toward a new car. I know the battery is worth something to someone and so are the wheels but other than those two items, I simply wouldn't know how to do it. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-29-14, 03:49 PM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Like most people here, I'll suggest to get rid of it and you could probably get another es300 in decent shape for a good price, probably a 2000 or 2001. On another note, like you, and others, I had a very very hard time getting rid of my car. Despite 240,000 miles, a power steering leak, and needing new parking brakes, I did not want to get rid of it. I kept it for another 6 months after getting my new car. I think part of it was because we had had it for so long, another reason is because it was so trouble free. In the 14 years we owned it, it was pretty trouble free and it did everything well. That and I was so used to the size of it, driving a new ES I didn't realize how gigantic (or how small my Es) was. It may be strange, but I always consider buying another es300 because I liked it that much.
It is a relatively trouble free and low maintenance vehicle. Other than the brakes when needed and a few other minor repairs, this car has not cost much to maintain. Recently the suspension started to go, so I had some work done on that a couple of years ago. It still rode like a new car on the highway.. quiet and solid. Makes me sad to see it go.
Old 08-29-14, 04:09 PM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you a girl?
Old 08-29-14, 05:18 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Check the engine oil and make sure it's at the proper level. Drive the car to a different shop and have them look at the engine noise without mentioning anything. We're all assuming that your engine is toast, because you told us that, but it could very well be salvageable. The noise could be coming from something else and the mechanic might have been up to no good. Get a second opinion before you throw in the towel.
Old 08-29-14, 08:08 PM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fritz330
Are you a girl?
yes I am.. all grown up but definitely a girl.
Old 08-29-14, 08:14 PM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Check the engine oil and make sure it's at the proper level. Drive the car to a different shop and have them look at the engine noise without mentioning anything. We're all assuming that your engine is toast, because you told us that, but it could very well be salvageable. The noise could be coming from something else and the mechanic might have been up to no good. Get a second opinion before you throw in the towel.
Can it be driven with that awful rattle coming from it? Maybe i should have it towed. I thought about getting a second opinion but not sure who to take it to that would be trustworthy. As a female, it's really tricky dealing with many mechanics because they assume I know nothing about cars.. but I do know a few things about my car, having lived with it for so many years. I like the idea of having someone else checking it out. Thanks for that advice. I do have a friend whose husband is a retired mechanic and builds cars from scratch in his spare time. He might be able to come over and listen to it. I will call her and see if that's possible. Thanks again.
Old 08-30-14, 08:00 AM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rikkistein
yes I am.. all grown up but definitely a girl.
Ah, now I understand why this is so difficult for you. Best bet would probably be to sell it as is and buy another. There are some really good deals out there and Lexus love is fully transferable.
Old 08-30-14, 12:03 PM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

Ah, now I understand why this is so difficult for you. Best bet would probably be to sell it as is and buy another. There are some really good deals out there and Lexus love is fully transferable.
That it is. I will start looking for another Lexus. Love the brand. Thanks!
Old 08-30-14, 03:06 PM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-30-14, 05:58 PM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Good luck and keep us posted.

Will do. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone.
Old 08-30-14, 09:58 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Cut your loses now! This car will send you to the poor house because after you replace the engine something else will take a dump...... Like a transmission.
I have a '97 and it is nickel and dimming me but I got it for free because it needed work........... Just when everything was going well the starter died last week.
Old 08-30-14, 10:57 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I honestly dont believe these engine swap prices, especially in california. But if its a monetary concern you would most definitely get more money if you part the car out especially if you have a good transmission.
Old 08-31-14, 02:15 PM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
Cut your loses now! This car will send you to the poor house because after you replace the engine something else will take a dump...... Like a transmission.
I have a '97 and it is nickel and dimming me but I got it for free because it needed work........... Just when everything was going well the starter died last week.
Definitely leaning toward getting a pre-owned certified Lexus. I just hate giving the car away for so little money. I will get a second opinion from another mechanic to be certain that it is a blown engine before i do anything. Thanks!
Old 08-31-14, 02:19 PM
rikkistein
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlackIRON
I honestly dont believe these engine swap prices, especially in california. But if its a monetary concern you would most definitely get more money if you part the car out especially if you have a good transmission.
I really can't part the car out. Don't have the space or the knowledge or the time to do that. The price my mechanic quoted me is real. However, he would be the last person I would give the job to. I really think he is more to blame for this mess than anyone else.

Quick Reply: 1997 ES300 needs new engine or should I sell it