ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Afraid My Transmission Might be shot HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 09:52 AM
exxonham
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Afraid My Transmission Might be shot HELP PLEASE

Hey guys, I have had my 1999 ES 300 for few years now, bought at 125k now has close to 180k not really a single prob, has been maintained very well

But after yesterday I was leaving house and noticed slight trans whine so turned radio and ac off to hear better. Pulled out of neighbor hood, I accelerated 1st then it jumped to 2nd I wasent sure I could make it to where I was going, I then tried to drive alittle more and then that's when it happened. It just wouldn't go into gear, it would maybe get into first, then jump to 5k rpm but not change gears, So I turned around and barely made it the mile or so back home. Was going down then up hill got stuck going up had to let cars pass, pulled over in front of someones house. Braked it put in park let cars pass, then put back in drive and started to roll back ward that when i knew I was in big trouble. Put in L gear then 2nd and it finally went in gear and was cruising slow in 1st the whole way home it would not change gears.

Not a single trans issue until this day, once or twice it would jump going into drive and once it wouldent reverse, but after that it drove fine.

No Whines, sputters nothing until now, had checked trans fluid with all oil changes, always good color... Now checked it when I got home, I can kinda smell odor with the fluid kinda like off burning smell not too bad though.

also check engine light has been on, p 171 or I have been meaning to change the back O2 sensor, but dident think that would be any way connected to Transmission.

Any help advice would be great, about to drain fluid change filter, could it be cloged filter, just put it on jacks and about to do some more looking around,

I have looked around on the forum haven't really found much or maybe just suck at searching any direction or links to older threads would be so greatfull. Having to drive grandmas LS now but need to figure out the prob and get her her car back please. ANy body let me know

Thank You
Old 08-15-14, 12:33 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I too am having transmission problems with my 1999 lexus es300.

My transmission problems started at 190k, got the car at 150k.

First thing I found in my research was to drop the pan.
If there is a lot of metal bits/shavings in the pan, its probably time for a new tranmission. If not the problem lies elsewhere, most likely.
If your pan has 18 bolts its the more expensive, T-IV fluid, U140E
If it has 17 bolts its the less expensive A145 or whatever transmission.
I would go with either toyota transmission or mobil 1 fluid, my first tranny fluid change was with some off brand but "snythetic" stuff, my car did not like it. I had to order the mobil online so as soon as I got it I changed it with that.
Good luck.
Old 08-15-14, 01:06 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

She dead.

Solenoids gone. Happened to me. Each one is between 500-800$ to buy individually. A rebuild in Canada was gonna run me over 4k$

Get a used trans with lower mileage. Do it all at once, new gasket, new seal, new filter & rear main seal(s).

It's a catch-22. You either fix it and drive it into the ground, or you sell it for under 1000$ as a parts car... non-functional. I changed mine and now am selling the damn thing... one year later!

More here; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...xus-es300.html
Old 08-15-14, 01:47 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
She dead.

Solenoids gone. Happened to me. Each one is between 500-800$ to buy individually. A rebuild in Canada was gonna run me over 4k$

Get a used trans with lower mileage. Do it all at once, new gasket, new seal, new filter & rear main seal(s).

It's a catch-22. You either fix it and drive it into the ground, or you sell it for under 1000$ as a parts car... non-functional. I changed mine and now am selling the damn thing... one year later!

More here; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...xus-es300.html
I'm curious;
Was it the transmission that failed again?
What causes the transmission to fail like this?
I guess i'll make sure to buy a re manufactured transmission and not a used one then.
Old 08-15-14, 02:25 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

My original failed, i had a used one put in [with less mileage]; runs fine now, no whine.

My mech has a fancy 1000$ + scanner, he read the trans [no cel, nothing] diagnostics, and it showed no movement in the solenoids between 1st & reverse.
I read in the older GS' it would be the VSS that would trick the trans, so I tried cleaning it up, and even a spare one - nothing.

I wouldn't waste my time with a rebuild... there's better ways for you to spend 2k+ [going off the USA is much cheaper for stuff model]

Causes? Unknown. I changed my fluids, filter, etc. Maintain the hell out of the car...

The U140e trans wasn't exactly known for its amazing reliability either, the A514 from the previous motors are MUCH more reliable.
Old 08-15-14, 03:40 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

My original failed, i had a used one put in [with less mileage]; runs fine now, no whine.

My mech has a fancy 1000$ + scanner, he read the trans [no cel, nothing] diagnostics, and it showed no movement in the solenoids between 1st & reverse.
I read in the older GS' it would be the VSS that would trick the trans, so I tried cleaning it up, and even a spare one - nothing.

I wouldn't waste my time with a rebuild... there's better ways for you to spend 2k+ [going off the USA is much cheaper for stuff model]

Causes? Unknown. I changed my fluids, filter, etc. Maintain the hell out of the car...

The U140e trans wasn't exactly known for its amazing reliability either, the A514 from the previous motors are MUCH more reliable.

Then why is the U140E so much more expensive.
argggg

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-16-14, 08:56 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^ U140e was 'lexus exclusive', the camry's used the 'old' one [as far as I know] throuhgout the years... making replacements hard to find and limited to a Lexus.

The amount of Camry's & solara's I saw at the pick n pull near me was huge, but of course, thats not the right trans... Had to order the ONLY ONE in my entire province and shipped to the shop... Which is why it ran 2k. The A514 is in abundance and is a few hundred dollar tranny due to its common use.
Old 08-16-14, 11:20 AM
exxonham
Driver

About to drop pan and check it out later already bought fluid and gasket but like one of you said she sounds like she is dead... so after I do some more checking, im going to change fluid and clean filter, put it back, if it does not run then ill look into used or rebuilt trans, anybody have idea which would be the best rout??? And how hard is it to change trans in these cars, anybody have any ideas? I have done alot of **** to the car but never hard engine work or trans work. Anybody have anyother ideas or tips maybe or maybe a tek for replacing trans. Anymore advice would be greatful

Thanks
Old 08-16-14, 01:54 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

When mine went in [this is at a shop btw], it required the front subframe to be dropped to get to it.

Toyota techstream calls for an ~8hr job or so... this is with air tools & a hoist. It took my buddy about 1.5 days to do it... 'old car, old bolts' type of deal.
Old 08-19-14, 07:55 AM
exxonham
Driver

Would anybody have any options they would suggest? If transmission is gone, should I

Replace with used, where best place to get a reliable one

Bebuild- best type shop and price

how much is a new one? Best place not to get rapped

I aint scrapping so not option lol

How difficult is it to swap out, pretty decent with maintance but never done a trans before, but have done absoultly everything else for it so anyway.

Please some more advice would be great
Old 08-19-14, 03:40 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

I would get one used, because as previously stated, a rebuild is over 2,000 dollars, which is ridiculous.
And If these transmissions are as buggy as they have said then I don't see why to get a rebuild since they fail randomly anyways. Found another thread here on the transmission
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...sion-help.html

I found a list here
http://www.hollanderparts.com/used-a...--u140e-trans/
Which is the cheapest place i've found so far.
You could try a local junkyard and ask how much it would be to pull a transmission out.

I don't know how hard it would be to do it your self, but I'm guessing it will be difficult. I'm having my dad help me.

I'm going to try and fix the transmission with the torque converter or gear box, won't know till my dad looks at it. And if that works I'm selling it right away. Probably going to buy another es300 with the a514 transmission.
I wish Lexus would just replace these faulty transmissions since there is an obvious problem with them.

Last edited by crwys; 08-19-14 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-20-14, 08:08 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^ you mean, U140...

And I totally agree! Lexus should recall all of these 10+ year old transmissions!!
Old 08-20-14, 10:21 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

No I mean a514. Why would I buy another u410e after seeing all the complaints about it?

And I didn't say recall, I said replace. So if someone's transmission dies in a low amount of miles for example, they would replace it for free or discount price, something. Only in a perfect world I guess.

Last edited by crwys; 08-21-14 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-21-14, 08:12 AM
exxonham
Driver

It went out at 175k so alittle high Im still trying to figure out what the best option is, Im about to just replace it myself

Anyone done this before ? Any advice I really dont have the money for someone else to do it but I know I have to do it right
Old 08-21-14, 02:06 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

You people should really read the threads you start FFS!

When mine went in [this is at a shop btw], it required the front subframe to be dropped to get to it.

Toyota techstream calls for an ~8hr job or so... this is with air tools & a hoist. It took my buddy about 1.5 days to do it... 'old car, old bolts' type of deal.