ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New 1st time Lexus owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-14, 07:50 PM
uabtodd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 1st time Lexus owner

Just bought a 2003 Lexus ES 300 today with 83,500 miles. It's by far the nicest car I have ever owned! Love it!

Quick question: My car only came with 1 master key, and as I am paranoid about losing it, or locking it in the car, or it stopping working one day, I have been looking around about getting a second key to keep as a backup. I have found instructions on here about how to program one once I get one, and have found websites that sell the uncut keys with the built in remotes. All that I have seen says I need to make sure the FCC ID matches my existing key. Problem is, I can't find the FCC ID on my existing key. There's a spot on the back that looks like it might have once had that information on it, buy it's been worn blank over the years. My owner's manual has an FCC ID : MOZRI-16BTY-B on the page about the Engine Immobiliser System, but all the sites I have found with keys listed for my year have FCC ID's that start with "HYQ".

Is the FCC ID univesal for a particular model year, or are there multiple different FCC ID's for each year and model?
Old 08-05-14, 07:31 PM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 49 Posts

Lots of views, but no replies. Dang.

First of all, congratulations on your purchase. An '03 with that kind of mileage is wonderful!

Secondly, I wish I could help you with the key, but I'm in a similar mess, myself. I don't have a master key at all, and I'm working with two valet keys. From my personal research, I think I've got to go to Lexus and get a new key made to the VIN and programmed there.

For you, because you have a master key, I would search the forum for "replacement keys" and see what you find. Some say you can program it yourself if you have a master, and others say you have to send out for the correct one, and others still suggest going to Lexus. I guess the jury is still out...

Welcome to the club and enjoy the ride!
Old 08-06-14, 04:44 AM
uabtodd
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I have looked at alot of different places online, and almost every single on of them lists "HYQ1512V", so I think I am just going to go with one of those and hope for the best. Anybody know if I could program it before I get it cut, just to see if the remote actually works, before spending the money on getting it cut (obviously just talking about programming the remote, and not the transponder chip for ignition or whatever) ?

Loving the car so far, it's a big step up from my Mitsubishi Galant I was driving, that's for sure!
Old 08-11-14, 06:18 PM
uabtodd
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to update this, for anyone that cares. I purchased an uncut, switchblade style, master key with remote on ebay from http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Uncut-Ignition-Master-Flip-Key-Keyless-Entry-Remote-Fob-Transmitter-HYQ1512V-/191201332454?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2003%7CMake%3ALexus%7CModel%3AES300&hash=item2c847ccce6&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp link for $34.95, after contacting my local Lexus Dealership and being told a new key purchased from them would be $240 for the key, plus $60 for programming.

I purchased the key friday, with free shipping, and it actually came int he mail today. I was shocked at the quick shipping via USPS!

I just went outside and programmed the remote using the instructions found here, and it worked on the very first try! I was impressed how simple it was.

I still have to get the key cut somewhere and then program the transponder, but I wanted to make sure the remote entry worked before I spent the money getting it cut. I will update after I get it cut and transponder programmed, in case anybody is following along.
Old 08-11-14, 06:27 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Just a reminder, when you use those switchblade style keys you have to move the transponder so it is next to the key blade. Otherwise it is too far from the chip that reads the transponder. Didn't know if you knew that or not.
Old 08-11-14, 06:47 PM
uabtodd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I actually didn't know that. Is it something that is difficult to move? i obviously haven't even gotten to the transponder programming yet, since I haven't gotten the key cut, but if it's something I can do easily, I won't mind giving it a try.
If it is something really difficult, I may not even attempt. My main concern was just getting a backup key, in case I lost mine, or locked the keys in the car or something. At this point, I at least have another remote that will unlock/lock the doors and open the trunk. Gonna find out tomorrow how much the local Lexus Dealership will charge to just cut the key, may check with some blacksmiths to see if they could do it cheaper, if the dealer is too expensive.
Old 08-12-14, 01:01 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

No its fairly simple. You do have to almost disassemble the remote though. Just pry at the sides until the glue gives way. The transponder is a sort of trapezoid shape, black and has rounded edges. Only about 1/2 inch tall. You then pull it out and position it next to the key blade inside.