ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Buying a used Lexus vs used Infiniti

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-14, 10:40 AM
tuscanleat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used Lexus vs used Infiniti

Hi everyone,

New to the forum but I'm interested in hearing other people's opinions on some car stuff.

I'm helping buying my mom buy a used car (for her birthday). I have a very basic knowledge of cars, but I've never owned a Lexus. I'm interested in what the general public has to say based on personal knowledge or experiences.

It's seems to be a split decision between
2005 Lexus ES 330 (150km) or 2006 Infiniti G35 (w/ 180km)

Feel free to sound off on which purchase would be ideal, or which car/type I should stay away from. Any help is appreciated since it's for my mom.
Old 07-25-14, 12:05 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Between those two cars, it's all based on personal preference. The Infiniti will be far sportier with tighter steering, tighter suspension, and a more sporty response. The ES will be more luxurious in ride quality and material quality (as in interior accessories and imo engine quality). It all depends on what she prefers. I have heard from a few people with G35's that they run well and will last quite a while if you take care of them. Same thing with the ES, although I am slightly biased. I have a 3rd gen ES while my dad has a 4th gen 2005. There are many complaints on the transmission programming, how the car shifts, when it shifts, and how it handles the engine, and sadly I agree with them. I would definitely suggest having her drive it around and see what she thinks of it. I prefer my old school 4spd auto over the new 5spd in the 4th gen. That being said, there may be other things about the Infiniti that could be quirky. Like I said before, I am biased towards the Lexus and I contemplated between my ES and a BMW 330i and I couldn't be more happy with the decision I made.
Old 07-25-14, 12:57 PM
toytrain13
Rookie

When it comes to build quality and interior, the ES is, IMO, way above the Infiniti. My friend's 2008 looked quite worn after 80K miles.
Old 07-25-14, 01:01 PM
LADavidGS
Driver

they are both great cars. Just picked up 03 es300 and I had 06 G35 sedan. As stated above, G35 has harsh ride v. ES330. If the car is for your mother, I would highly recommend Lexus ES based on comfortable ride quailty, interior space, and better MPG. Good luck~!!
Old 07-25-14, 02:10 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, you come to a lexus forum....you will get bias opinions...
Old 07-25-14, 02:13 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does your Mom know you are buying this? There's no way I'd make this decision for another person. Show them both to her, let her decide.
Old 07-25-14, 02:35 PM
Timothyj
Pole Position

I have three ES cars, two 04, and one 02. I like these cars because a lot of the parts are the same as a Camry. 02 has 139000 miles, looks and runs great, one 04 112500, the other 04 46000 miles. All great cars. IMO, go with Lexus.
Old 07-25-14, 04:03 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a mechanic I always say "how much do you like the car" by that I mean compare the cost of maintenance. If you think genuine Toyota and Lexus service parts are expensive, just compare them to Infinity parts! $$$ However I am trying not to be biased so I must say that the only genuine denominator truly will always be based on how much you like the car...
Old 07-25-14, 04:55 PM
tuscanleat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toytrain13
When it comes to build quality and interior, the ES is, IMO, way above the Infiniti. My friend's 2008 looked quite worn after 80K miles.
Thanks that seems to be a recurring complaint I'm hearing, definitely something to consider
Old 07-25-14, 04:56 PM
tuscanleat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mythotical
As a mechanic I always say "how much do you like the car" by that I mean compare the cost of maintenance. If you think genuine Toyota and Lexus service parts are expensive, just compare them to Infinity parts! $$$ However I am trying not to be biased so I must say that the only genuine denominator truly will always be based on how much you like the car...
Yes, parts and cost of operating is also something that wasn't sure how to gauge between the two cars, so thanks for the input.
Old 07-25-14, 04:59 PM
tuscanleat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LADavidGS
they are both great cars. Just picked up 03 es300 and I had 06 G35 sedan. As stated above, G35 has harsh ride v. ES330. If the car is for your mother, I would highly recommend Lexus ES based on comfortable ride quailty, interior space, and better MPG. Good luck~!!
Thanks for your input. The general consensus seems to be that the Lexus is more reliable.
Old 07-25-14, 05:01 PM
tuscanleat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lostape45
Between those two cars, it's all based on personal preference. The Infiniti will be far sportier with tighter steering, tighter suspension, and a more sporty response. The ES will be more luxurious in ride quality and material quality (as in interior accessories and imo engine quality). It all depends on what she prefers. I have heard from a few people with G35's that they run well and will last quite a while if you take care of them. Same thing with the ES, although I am slightly biased. I have a 3rd gen ES while my dad has a 4th gen 2005. There are many complaints on the transmission programming, how the car shifts, when it shifts, and how it handles the engine, and sadly I agree with them. I would definitely suggest having her drive it around and see what she thinks of it. I prefer my old school 4spd auto over the new 5spd in the 4th gen. That being said, there may be other things about the Infiniti that could be quirky. Like I said before, I am biased towards the Lexus and I contemplated between my ES and a BMW 330i and I couldn't be more happy with the decision I made.
Thanks for your input, this is the kind of response I was looking for. I'm looking at 2005 ES 330 and it seems like it would be a better fit. Plus I keep reading about how Lexus and Camry parts are interchangeable. The high cost of parts for the Infiniti has me thinking twice.

Last edited by tuscanleat; 07-25-14 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-25-14, 05:06 PM
tuscanleat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KLF
Does your Mom know you are buying this? There's no way I'd make this decision for another person. Show them both to her, let her decide.
Lol, thanks. My mom's a little different. She was driving a 03 Camry for the longest time. It got into an accident 4 months ago, she's been out of a car for almost 5 months now and has been avoiding buying one. She really doesn't want to deal with the research and homework that goes into buying a car, and she's the type of lady who will more than happy if any car is the driveway for her to use. I'm just trying to give her a reasonable upgrade.
Old 07-25-14, 05:35 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

If she used to drive an 03 Camry, she will feel right at home in the ES.
Old 07-25-14, 06:26 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hypervish
If she used to drive an 03 Camry, she will feel right at home in the ES.
Yes indeed a much more comfortable and luxurious home!

Quick Reply: Buying a used Lexus vs used Infiniti