ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1999 ES300 - Major Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-14, 04:14 AM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 1999 ES300 - Major Service

My wife and I purchased an 1999 ES300 to replaced our modified 1997 Nissan Bluebird. I'm quite adept mechcanically, but I'm not familar with this model at all (though I've had a few toyota's). Any advice would be really appericated, we'll be using this car to transport our son around in so want it safe, and nice

The loud exhaust, modifed intake, hard hitting power band, and bouncy ride didn't work since this guy was born some weeks back....

Blemishes
It's a pretty old car now (15yrs), so there are alot of minor blemishes, and the bumpers have some minor damage.

Inside
It's still quite tidy inside, and it really just needs a damn good clean.

Service
The car has 143,000km's on it. Which is low, but I like to start ownership with a full service, and addressing any outstanding mechanical issues right away. I see no evidence the cam belt has been done, and there is a minor oil leak from under the plastic cover. This would freak alot of people out but I can do it all, have before so I spent some real money at a friendly toyota dealership.

Radiator - I think that this one is about to blow, .. might have to replace that or re-tank it. I've got a family member that knows a mangement guy at some radiator manufactor, they reckon ~cheap~ really ~cheap, other wise it's $200 - $400.

Service Intervals - pretty sure the person two owners back didn't believe in serving, the last guy owned it only a few months (3,000kms), he lost a bunch of money on the deal (leaving for Hong Kong for good in days), so we offered low and he took it (half present value). I see moderate oil caking under the cam cover !(ekkk).

I can't figure out what these two are for, they aren't bagged .... ?

I'm pretty sure I got everything, .. check out that unit price vs. the net total I actually paid ! nice 35% off. I'm doing ...
- all spark plugs,
- oil filter, oil, remove sump, clean re-seal.
- both cam cover gaskets
- cam belt, cam seals, crank seal, water pump, tensioner, etc.

I also picked up a few other things,
- Silcone for the windows (for the rubber) to help them seal better (source of mositure ??) and address 'whistle'.
- Some polish / wax, cos it's only effort and it might pay off.
- Rainex for the windows (makes water bead = less need for window wipers)
- installed new silcone wiper blades (already), rain season, .. needed those soooo bad.
- and Rainex for the inside too to assist with the misting thing, .. wow is that unreal.
- Anti-Seize for the spark plug install (never used it before but long past time I started)
- and silcone for the sump, I'm taking that off to clean out the inside of the sump as part of the first service.

Misting
The rear and sometimes front windows mist really badly. To be fair, our other car which has yet to be sold has recently had this issue and it is weather related (it's getting down to zero or -1C at night). I wonder if I should check the cabin air filter, perhaps replace it thoughts anyone ?

Leather Seats
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to address this, I'd like to give the seats a chance to stay nice.

I can't wait to turn spanners on this thing, I love toyota's they are so easy to work on, I just get them. Rang my friend and he's dropping over the special service tool for toyota 1uz-fe's I made some years ago. It does both the cams and the main lower wheel. It's been years since I've had a toyota (cough lexus).

Last edited by ES300NZ; 08-27-14 at 04:22 AM.
Old 07-04-14, 05:00 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Just wondering, 1999 ES300 in NZ doesn't have VVT-i?

Good for getting on the timing belt service first thing. Not sure what currency that dealer receipt is in, but if its anything equivalent to USD/CAD then $685 for TB/WP/seals/sparks is pretty steep considering we can get the OEM equivalent kits from RockAuto for ~$250.

Make sure you change out all the other fluids, oil, transmission, power steering, flush brake fluid, and when you do the water-pump/ radiator, the engine coolant.

As to clean the leather, you can use some light baking soda and water - it worked for me to instantly clean all the dirt off my tan color leather interior that I didn't even know was there! However I think its pretty harsh so make sure you test it first and condition the leather immediately after to protect it.

Oh and that first picture is begging you to tint it!
Old 07-04-14, 05:16 AM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedkar9
nope, oh wait .. some do, some don't I think. This car was ex-singapore. We have very relaxed importation rules.

Good for getting on the timing belt service first thing. Not sure what currency that dealer receipt is in, but if its anything equivalent to USD/CAD then $685 for TB/WP/seals/sparks is pretty steep considering we can get the OEM equivalent kits from RockAuto for ~$250.
$689NZD = $602.15USD
I know, we could have got it cheaper but this way I have a nation wide company I can moan too if somethings up with the parts. We have suppliers that equivalent OEM supplys here but in the end it was actually cheaper to go OEM with the discount.

Also, there is quite a few other things in that list, oil filter, spark plugs, cam cover gaskets, .. etc.

Make sure you change out all the other fluids, oil, transmission, power steering, flush brake fluid, and when you do the water-pump/ radiator, the engine coolant.
  • I wasn't planning on doing the transmission fluid it actually looks new, but I suppose it's a good idea.
  • power steering - never even occured to me, might as well do that at the same time as the trans, is there a bleed point ? suggestions ?
  • flush brake fluid ... I usually do that only when I do brakes pads to be honest. isn't there some issues with doing that and ABS, I remember something to watch out for. The wife is pretty good at this brake bleeding thing, so I might get her to do since I've got a couple of 1lt brake fluid containers in reserve.
  • coolant = check. it actually has proper coolant too which is good, but it's going into the waste containers tomorrow.

As to clean the leather, you can use some light baking soda and water - it worked for me to instantly clean all the dirt off my tan color leather interior that I didn't even know was there! However I think its pretty harsh so make sure you test it first and condition the leather immediately after to protect it.
hrmm ... I'd be keener for a re-colour / recondition product actually.

Oh and that first picture is begging you to tint it!
- I know, but the wife's like 'fix, drive, other wise leave it the ****** alone this time.

Last edited by ES300NZ; 07-04-14 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-04-14, 07:58 AM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the misting on the inside or outside?
Old 07-04-14, 09:32 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Asian spec Windom's were sold as a 2.5L 'base' car and the 3.0 - which we get standard - was their 'top of the line' model... with VVTI of course.
Old 07-04-14, 01:33 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fritz330
Is the misting on the inside or outside?
on the inside.
Old 07-04-14, 01:59 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

If not already done so, replace the PCV valve
Old 07-04-14, 02:27 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PFB
If not already done so, replace the PCV valve
Thanks, will do.
Old 07-04-14, 04:19 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I think you'll really enjoy this car. Welcome to the club.
Old 07-04-14, 04:23 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I think you'll really enjoy this car. Welcome to the club.
Thanks very much, we're already enjoying it. My wife doesn't like that she's going to lose it for a while while it's serviced.
Old 07-04-14, 05:07 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ES300NZ
Thanks, will do.
Forgot to mention that you should get a new PCV grommet as well, just incase the one that's there is dried out and falls apart when you change the PCV
Old 07-04-14, 05:40 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PFB
Forgot to mention that you should get a new PCV grommet as well, just incase the one that's there is dried out and falls apart when you change the PCV
awesome, thanks, advice like this is so useful. every engine has it's foobles and it's far smarter to just ask people that know, than assume I know everything I already need to know.
Old 07-04-14, 06:37 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those 2 seals should be for the cams.

Best leather treatment out there is Leatherique. http://www.leatherique.com/ I use it on mine once a year and at 103K miles, my seats still look new. It will clean up those cracks and replenish the leather, make it feel very soft again, like it should. It's expensive, but worth it.
Old 07-04-14, 06:55 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KLF
Those 2 seals should be for the cams.

Best leather treatment out there is Leatherique. http://www.leatherique.com/ I use it on mine once a year and at 103K miles, my seats still look new. It will clean up those cracks and replenish the leather, make it feel very soft again, like it should. It's expensive, but worth it.
actually it turns out those seals are two of six spark plug seals (part no. 11193-70010), I'm assuming they seal between the head and the cam cover, I purchased both cam cover seals (front and back), because .. oh hell I'm doing it so I might as well do both.

Leatherique, I was reading about that, they are two suppliers for that in my town. I didn't check the pricing though, not sure if I'd all that bothered .. geez how pricey can be :P
Old 07-04-14, 07:11 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Leatherique is an awesome product, highly recommend it as well.

Your car doesn't have that much mileage on it, but you may consider replacing the central coolant bypass hose that hides underneath the fuel rail/main intake manifold.

Quick Reply: 1999 ES300 - Major Service