ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Using the FM Radio with broken LCD

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-14, 11:28 AM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Using the FM Radio with broken LCD

So I never use my FM or AM radio, I just use the cassette to aux in my car.
However I want to go to the drive-in movie theater and I was wondering if there is a way to use the FM radio with the broken LCD.
The only thing I could find in the manual was holding seek up or down
"The radio will begin seeking up or down for a station of the nearest frequency and will stop on reception."
So what exactly does that mean?
Does that mean once I get to the drive in I just hold seek up or down and it will tune into the drive-in's radio frequency since it is the closest to me?
Sounds too good to be true but thats what im hoping haha.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Old 06-27-14, 12:44 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

You can replace the LCD, it's about $130 from Pioneer. Otherwise, you can use the Tuning button to go up and down the frequency, like you mentioned, until you find what you're looking for. There is also SCAN, which will go through the available stations, one at a time. You just have to hit SCAN one more time, when you reach the desired station, to stop it from advancing.
Old 06-27-14, 12:45 PM
R1R
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that is exactly right. Just press scan once and it will start to search for stations. Press it again once it tunes into the drive-in's frequency. You can also preset that station by long pressing on one of the numbers. You can do that for all radio stations that you like without the need for the LCD to work.
Old 06-27-14, 01:22 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Yea I already found the thread with the part number and DIY. Just looking for a temporary solution before I replace the LCD, I may get a new head unit all together as well. So the "hold" button doesn't do what I think it does then? Or are you guys unsure about that?
The scan button is a good idea though, just thought it would take a long time maybe.
Like I said I never listen to FM or AM, just need it for the drive in movie theater.

If I can't find the station, I brought a stereo that can hook up to my cassette to aux and I can do it that way at least.
Thanks.
Old 06-29-14, 03:20 AM
crwys
Lead Lap

For anyone who was curious.

I went to the Drive In movie theater and just held the "tune seek" button up until i heard the "beep" and it went straight to the station! Amazing!