ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Original Battery is 10 Years Old!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-14, 12:54 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 308 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Original Battery is 10 Years Old!

My 2004 ES330 still has the original battery after 61,000 miles. When I brought it in for service 2 years ago, they said that I should replace it because it couldn't "sustain a load" or something like that. When I brought it in last year they didn't say anything. When I brought it in earlier this year they again said I should replace it.

The funny thing is, it works fine. I've never replaced a car battery until it died.

I'm wondering if I should be proactive and replace it now or wait until it causes me a problem. Any thoughts?
Old 05-16-14, 01:38 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

That battery is way past it's normal life span. It was time to replace it many years ago.
Old 05-16-14, 01:39 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Replace it, unless you like getting stranded at the most inconvenient time!
Old 05-16-14, 05:30 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

You've gotten lucky. It may last a few more years or it may die tomorrow. You can watch them load test your battery and see what reading the meter gives, if you're that concerned about their integrity.
Old 05-16-14, 06:22 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get it load tested, also do a visual inspection. Is it leaking, bulging, cracking? I had batteries on my vehicles last 8+ years but in cold winter months they would not give enough cracking power, otherwise they still would start the car.
Old 05-16-14, 06:24 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrBooby
You've gotten lucky. It may last a few more years or it may die tomorrow. You can watch them load test your battery and see what reading the meter gives, if you're that concerned about their integrity.
What is a load test and what does it mean?'

It seems to me that it can't be all that definitive if my battery has lasted for 2 years after it failed a load test.
Old 05-16-14, 06:31 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by mitmaks
I had batteries on my vehicles last 8+ years but in cold winter months they would not give enough cracking power, otherwise they still would start the car.
It's lasted through 2 Cleveland winters since it failed a load test. including starting at about 15 degrees below zero this past winter.

Actually, I read somewhere that modern batteries are more likely to fail in heat of summer. The new electronic ignitions don't need as much cranking power as older cars did.
Old 05-16-14, 06:47 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
What is a load test and what does it mean?'

It seems to me that it can't be all that definitive if my battery has lasted for 2 years after it failed a load test.
Here is a good overview of how it works. The tool is only around $40 on Amazon, if you want to get one for yourself. Basically you're putting a certain electrical load on the battery for a few seconds, to see how the battery performs under load. This is important, because your battery works the hardest during cold starts of the engine.

Saying that your battery failed a load test is a very obscure statement, so it helps to have a certain measurement to go along with it. You might have been on the edge of "Weak", so they recommended that you replace it.
Old 05-16-14, 07:22 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Saying that your battery failed a load test is a very obscure statement, so it helps to have a certain measurement to go along with it. You might have been on the edge of "Weak", so they recommended that you replace it.
Interesting video. Thanks.

The service rep showed me the load test print out. It was not borderline. It was near the middle of the "no good" range.
Old 05-17-14, 06:14 AM
pauloil
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Interesting video. Thanks.

The service rep showed me the load test print out. It was not borderline. It was near the middle of the "no good" range.
go get a new one and buy the freshest battery you can find. I get mine at Sam's Club or Farm and Fleet. motors may not run well with low voltage
Old 05-17-14, 10:58 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Whats there to be proactive about?

10 years is very old. Spend the 80$ and quit being cheap...
Old 05-17-14, 12:19 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

A battery from Lexus costs me the same as a tank of gas, just replace it and not have to worry about it
Old 05-17-14, 01:02 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I wouldn't do any testing or anything - I would just replace it. It is just too old. This is just like delaying the purchase of new tires until you have gotten the maximum wear out of a set - not worth it when you have an untimely break down. And I'm not saying I've never kept a battery or tires too long - it becomes a challenge, "just how long can I keep going with this".

Dave Mac
Old 05-17-14, 02:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

My sister had an old mid 80's civic and the battery was like this one that kept running and running and running 15 years later.

Getting some work done on the car they found that the battery was leaking acid down the engine bay to the frame and had eaten so much of it away the car had to be totaled. Car was in perfect condition except for that.... completely undetectable until they had the car up on a lift.

Think of that every time I hear something like this!
Old 05-17-14, 05:31 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

The logical thing to do is replace it..but part of me wants you to see how long it can go!

But yeah, just replace it..im sure its making your alternator work overtime. If that goes bad, its more costly than a battery.

Quick Reply: Original Battery is 10 Years Old!