ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

where are the modded 4th gens?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 11:58 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fgpalmer71
HaitianBoi.....keep doing your thing. Everyone has an opinion, yours is what counts. For all those "hating" on your post here....that's just sad. I am 35 yrs old and have "modded" every car I have owned, its a sickness. One which I enjoy and have received honestly. My father is pushing 60 and has modded every car he has ever owned. Acura RL's, Nissan maximas, Acura TL's, BMW 7 series (tuned by dinan) to name a few. I own a 4es that I purchased almost a year ago and I will be taking the trip down mod lane once again.

To all those that seem to be riding HaitianBoi relatively harshly....stop and think about what kind of forum it is you would like to have here. I have been a part of many, and the best seem to be those that are all inclusive. Sure, express your opinion. But should you stop short of some of the pretty rude comments I see here....I think so. You have absolutely no idea what HaitianBoi may have to offer the forum. It seems as though the majority of you are intent on making him feel extremely unwelcome. The comments are pretty funny to me. Especially those that speak of the EXOBERTANT cost of modding a vehicle.

Someone claimed that modding the 4es was senseless because it can not be made to perform better? Simple highschool physics lessons would have prevented that comment from leaving that particular posters brain. A small drop in this vehicles ride height can and will improve handling characteristics. That's just science. Every action has a reaction though. So that drop will cost some ride comfort....of course. For some of us that is a fair trade off. For others, not so much. Some of you may have bought your cars because you loved the cushy ride, or the styling etc. Others, like HatianBoi, bought them for the potential they see in them. The one thing we all share is a fondness for this particular platform, modded or unmodded. So play nice guys and gals.
***off my soap box now***
Most of the comments haven't been rude, they just told him things he didn't want to hear, that in their opinion there were few mods that actually improve a 4ES either in appearance or performance. And hatianboi responded by calling them stupid, ignorant, and lacking in common sence (sic). Respect goes both ways. Sometimes the best advice is people telling you not to do something rather than encouraging you to do something ill-advised.

And simple high school physics might tell you that dropping the car will improve handling, but it would very likely be wrong. The engineers who designed the suspension spent a lot of time and money to optimize it for the factory suspension geometry and components, ride height, and rolling stock. Changing these things is just as likely to make the handling worse rather than better. A stiff ride may make you think the handling is better, but it's not necessarily so.

So, it's his car, he can do whatever he wants with it. I don't care if he hangs some fuzzy dice from the mirror and throws some dubs on it, but I don't feel obliged to tell him it's a good idea. And if he asks for our opinion he shouldn't get all pissy when we give it to him.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 06-24-14, 12:27 PM
haitianb0i
Rookie

Can you quote where I asked for somebody opinion?
Old 06-24-14, 01:15 PM
285exp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by haitianb0i
Can you quote where I asked for somebody opinion?
all the haters are gladly welcome to put in there opinions

You're not doing yourself any favors here sport.
Old 06-24-14, 03:05 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a hater, I just think the cost would be astronomical!
Old 06-24-14, 05:20 PM
haitianb0i
Rookie

Originally Posted by 285exp
all the haters are gladly welcome to put in there opinions

You're not doing yourself any favors here sport.
Smh, can u show me where my build thread is? read before commenting please
Old 06-24-14, 05:22 PM
haitianb0i
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mythotical
I'm not a hater, I just think the cost would be astronomical!
You thought wrong
Old 06-25-14, 06:19 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by haitianb0i
Smh, can u show me where my build thread is? read before commenting please
If you're not interested in anyones opinion or advice, what exactly are you doing here? Dazzling us with your mad grammatical and spelling skilz and jr high grade insults? You only want opinions on your non-existent build thread?

Go ahead, blow a bunch of money screwing up a perfectly good car, just don't get all bent out of shape when people don't agree with you.
Old 06-25-14, 07:25 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I think we should encourage this door **** to invest, say $10K or so to really "mod" his car. You know, create a freak show. Then, when he goes to sell it, he can try to find someone as stupid as he is.

What are the odds?
Old 06-25-14, 01:11 PM
haitianb0i
Rookie

@fgpalmer71 what do you plan on doing to the 4th gen?
Old 07-18-14, 06:11 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to throw you a bone here. I think that for a ton of money any car can be modded. It's just like tweaking out a Corvette. IMHO Corvettes are cheaply made GM junk that my ES can outrun, but to some, they are like a Ferrari. Whatever, no need to **** in someones cheerios, but seriously you will have to spend some money and know or learn a thing or two. I love having an old man looking sleeper. here is a link to a few things you might do, I may even try some of this if I can find the right parts cheaply.

Enjoy the read, just be sure you don't wet yourself.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...on-thread.html
Old 07-19-14, 01:23 AM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm going to weigh in here and say a few things based on experience.

Not every car should be modified. Rare Classic cars or cars with historical value (Bullet Mustang?) for example.

Not all modifications are good, even if perfectly professional. A $30 pod filter can be worse than a factory panel filter. A change in springs can be worse in ride and performance than the factory ones. Gluing astro turf to your car is not good.

Peoples differing tastes should be respected as personal choice. Some people modify cars to suit a personal perception of who they are. That's not always obvious, but 20" rims do give it away a bit.

Our views and opinions are fallible. I try to keep an open mind, where I can. Things I thought were stupid turned out to be great ideas in the past, I'm not always right, neither is everyone else.