ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2004 es330 issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 03:29 PM
natetheguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 es330 issues

Hello all,

I own a 2004 Lexus es330. It just hit 107k.

Recently it started driving terribly and I am no mechanic, especially not with these cars. So I am hoping someone here can help me diagnose what is happening.

I have 2 problems going on, I am unsure if they are related. The first thing is lack of power and lurching forward when I let off the gas pedal and then reapply pressure. Let me explain: If I am going up a hill, the car will not accelerate as quickly as it used to. If I let off the gas pedal because cars in front of me are slowing down and then reapply pressure to the gas pedal because the light turns green, the car will hesitate and then lurch forward after a moment. I realize I may not have explained this well, so if you need a better description I will try to explain it a little bit better.

My second issue happens when starting it. When it is cold and I go to start it in the morning it fires right up. But if I go to my first class that is only 50 minutes and then come back out and go to start it again, it turns over a few times and then sounds like it dies but it starts up very quietly, which is unusual. It is also having an idle issue. It now idles at around 600 rpm's whereas it used to idle at 1000.

Like I said, I am no mechanic. But I was thinking it may be my transmission or my timing belt.

Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated! I just do not have the money to bring it into a shop right now for a BS diagnosis. So I would like to get a good idea of what is wrong before I drop any dollars.
Old 05-07-14, 04:48 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't know where you are but you need to get it to an auto parts store and have them pull codes both active and pending. It's possible you have a failing ignition coil. Without codes you won't know. I'm going to assume you had the timing belt changed at 90k? You don't want a broken timing belt on this engine as you'll end up replacing the engine. Transmission is not likely, sounds like an ignition issue but... get the codes.
Old 05-07-14, 05:14 PM
natetheguy
Driver School Candidate

What if there are no codes to pull? There is no CE light on or anything. I will give it a shot though.

I did not have the car until just over 100k. I assume the timing belt was replaced at 90k as it was owned by someone competent, although I am not positive as I don't have a record of it. I can't hear it flapping around though, is it somewhat easy to check?

Thank you for the advice

Originally Posted by mdbrown
Don't know where you are but you need to get it to an auto parts store and have them pull codes both active and pending. It's possible you have a failing ignition coil. Without codes you won't know. I'm going to assume you had the timing belt changed at 90k? You don't want a broken timing belt on this engine as you'll end up replacing the engine. Transmission is not likely, sounds like an ignition issue but... get the codes.
Old 05-07-14, 05:20 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need more input! There are many things that can cause those issues and or may be related to your problem. When re-starting after class, have a friend look at your tail pipe for a little puff of black smoke. If there is, I suspect a fuel injection problem. If not, then either ignition or timing may be involved. Could also be a fuel pump failing or something simple like a clogged fuel filter (rarely) or something like a bad engine temp sensor. Can you also give us some stats on things like mileage between oil changes, oil type (brand) and weight E.G. 5w30, 5w20 or 0w20, also timing belt changed, tune up and fuel filter. Any check engine light?
Old 05-07-14, 05:48 PM
natetheguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mythotical
We need more input! There are many things that can cause those issues and or may be related to your problem. When re-starting after class, have a friend look at your tail pipe for a little puff of black smoke. If there is, I suspect a fuel injection problem. If not, then either ignition or timing may be involved. Could also be a fuel pump failing or something simple like a clogged fuel filter (rarely) or something like a bad engine temp sensor. Can you also give us some stats on things like mileage between oil changes, oil type (brand) and weight E.G. 5w30, 5w20 or 0w20, also timing belt changed, tune up and fuel filter. Any check engine light?
I will have a friend look at it next time I start it for smoke. Like I stated earlier, I haven't had the car for a terribly long time, although the first two owners had regular oil changes(every 3k or so), as have I. I just told my mechanic to put in what was recommended, which I believe is 5w20 and I think it was mobil1.

I don't know about the timing belt, which is extremely unfortunate I know...

No lights on the dash.
Old 05-07-14, 06:17 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i know its simple, but check the air filter. I had an extremely dirty one and it was causing our RX350 to run funny. Also check the throttle body and MAF sensor. Even if you aren't a mechanic these are very easy to check, jsut need to search. It may not be yur total issue, but could be adding to it. My car would die at lights sometimes, and I was freaking out, turned out that the air intake was loose and there was a leak from the airbox to the throttle body causing my car to die. What I'm saying is something extremely simple can be causing these issues.
Old 05-07-14, 06:22 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No CEL bothers me, if it was a failing temp sensor, injector or somesuch it should trigger a code (rich, lean or something along those lines.) You really need streaming data as well, to see if you have a lean running or rich running issue. You should have some pending codes even if the light isn't on.
Old 05-07-14, 06:28 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by natetheguy
If I let off the gas pedal because cars in front of me are slowing down and then reapply pressure to the gas pedal because the light turns green, the car will hesitate and then lurch forward after a moment.
Some hesitation and lag is known and normal to the ES330's transmission and drive-by-wire throttle operation. Check your transmission fluid to make sure its not black or burnt smelling.
Old 05-07-14, 06:33 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Let us just say, take it to the Lexus dealer and have them tell you what is going on.

Do not delay.
Old 05-07-14, 08:48 PM
natetheguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gray_es300
i know its simple, but check the air filter. I had an extremely dirty one and it was causing our RX350 to run funny. Also check the throttle body and MAF sensor. Even if you aren't a mechanic these are very easy to check, jsut need to search. It may not be yur total issue, but could be adding to it. My car would die at lights sometimes, and I was freaking out, turned out that the air intake was loose and there was a leak from the airbox to the throttle body causing my car to die. What I'm saying is something extremely simple can be causing these issues.
I replaced the air filter a month or so ago. I will check to make sure I put the box back on correctly though. And I cleaned my throttle body at the same time. Thanks for your input

Originally Posted by mdbrown
No CEL bothers me, if it was a failing temp sensor, injector or somesuch it should trigger a code (rich, lean or something along those lines.) You really need streaming data as well, to see if you have a lean running or rich running issue. You should have some pending codes even if the light isn't on.
What does lean or rich running mean? I will check for any codes tomorrow and report back.

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Some hesitation and lag is known and normal to the ES330's transmission and drive-by-wire throttle operation. Check your transmission fluid to make sure its not black or burnt smelling.
I know the lag is known on these cars but it has gotten much worse, to the point where it could be dangerous. Will definitely check my tranny fluid tomorrow.

Originally Posted by brucelee1
Let us just say, take it to the Lexus dealer and have them tell you what is going on.
Do not delay.
I don't have a Lexus dealership near me. And I would trust my mechanic just as much as some *******s at a dealership anyway as I don't know anybody who has had good experiences with them. The thing is I just don't want to cough up the money just to have them give me wrong answers. So I am trying to diagnose it myself first or at least get a good idea of what is wrong.
Old 05-08-14, 07:37 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by natetheguy
I replaced the air filter a month or so ago. I will check to make sure I put the box back on correctly though. And I cleaned my throttle body at the same time. Thanks for your input

What does lean or rich running mean? I will check for any codes tomorrow and report back.

I know the lag is known on these cars but it has gotten much worse, to the point where it could be dangerous. Will definitely check my tranny fluid tomorrow.

I don't have a Lexus dealership near me. And I would trust my mechanic just as much as some *******s at a dealership anyway as I don't know anybody who has had good experiences with them. The thing is I just don't want to cough up the money just to have them give me wrong answers. So I am trying to diagnose it myself first or at least get a good idea of what is wrong.
Did you reset the ECU after cleaning the throttle body? If not, that would explain it driving funky till it re-learned.
Old 05-08-14, 04:05 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

BTW-I have never had a bad experience with a Lexus repair shop, going back to 1994.

For the record anyway.
Old 05-09-14, 12:29 PM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythotical
...I suspect a fuel injection problem...Could also be a fuel pump failing...
Those are my suspicions too; but weird there is no CEL for running rich/lean
Old 05-14-14, 07:32 AM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem with my 00 Sienna, the Delphi injectors would leak down every time I parked it. I am sure that Lexus will never use Delphi injectors but I wonder if his injectors are gummed up and leaking down with a bad spray pattern. I would suggest using some really good injector cleaner, and maybe have your mechanic do a cleaning service on them.