ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 1996 Keyless programming???

Old 02-12-03, 12:24 PM
tigerpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300 1996 Keyless programming???

I need programming instructions for my 1996 ES300 Keyless entry. I have them for a1 998 model but they don't work soooo, I think they are different. Someone suggested ebay but the link is obsolete.
Thanks,
Old 05-22-03, 09:00 AM
skelley
Driver School Candidate

Default Did you get a response

I also have a 1996 ES300 and would like to know how to program the keyless entry. Does anyone have the combination???
Old 05-22-03, 10:26 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

This subject has been discussed many times before. If you do a search for "keyless entry" or "keyless remote", you'll find some decent feedback. But to save you guys the trouble, I've done the research, and all I can really tell you is that you'll have to get a new chip and key from the dealership to actively operate with the existing ECU chip in your car. It is possible to program the '97+ ES on your own, but not for the earlier models.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-03, 10:42 AM
skelley
Driver School Candidate

Default ES300 Key programming

LexusK8,

Thank you for your response. Can you clarify something for me. Are you saying that a key cannot be re-programmed to another vehicle; ie. the chip is matched to the key? Or perhaps you are implying the key can only be programmed once? My local Lexus dealer said they could make me a new key and program it for $350 to my existing system. So unless the key can only be programmed once then this would tend to imply that there is a procedure for reprogramming keys to existing systems... Am I way off base here??
Old 05-22-03, 10:58 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: ES300 Key programming

Originally posted by skelley
LexusK8,

Thank you for your response. Can you clarify something for me. Are you saying that a key cannot be re-programmed to another vehicle; ie. the chip is matched to the key? Or perhaps you are implying the key can only be programmed once? My local Lexus dealer said they could make me a new key and program it for $350 to my existing system. So unless the key can only be programmed once then this would tend to imply that there is a procedure for reprogramming keys to existing systems... Am I way off base here??
skelley,

Yes from my understanding, once the key is correctly programmed in the car, it cannot be transferrable to another car. You have to bring your car in to get a new chip and key, period.
Old 05-22-03, 12:13 PM
tigerpilot
Driver School Candidate

Default '96 Keyless Entry

The last post is INcorrect. The key can be programmed to ANY other '96 Lexus with the same frequency I.D. system. Up to four keys can be programmed and then the next key (5th) erases the first key etc I have programmed many used keys to my Lexus keyless system. Of course the key will does not work, only the entry part . Later models may indeed be different
Regards, Don

Last edited by tigerpilot; 05-22-03 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-22-03, 01:05 PM
skelley
Driver School Candidate

Smile Great news Tigerpilot

Don (Tigerpilot),

That is great news. Can you share the reprogramming procedure with me or does it have to be done at the dealer?

Scott
Old 05-22-03, 01:16 PM
tigerpilot
Driver School Candidate

You can do it yourself... I can probable find the instructions but would prefer to fax rather than scan etc...
Old 05-22-03, 01:59 PM
skelley
Driver School Candidate

Wink 1996 Lexus ES300 key programming

Fax would be great. I emailed you my fax number.

Thanks a bunch,
Scott:
Old 05-22-03, 06:36 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: '96 Keyless Entry

Originally posted by tigerpilot
The last post is INcorrect. The key can be programmed to ANY other '96 Lexus with the same frequency I.D. system. Up to four keys can be programmed and then the next key (5th) erases the first key etc I have programmed many used keys to my Lexus keyless system. Of course the key will does not work, only the entry part . Later models may indeed be different
Regards, Don
OK, well I'm not aware of this "4-5 key programming trick" to accomplish the task. By no means am I an expert in this issue, but I thought you mentioned at the beginning of this thread that you needed programming instructions for your 1996 ES300 keyless remote entry. Now you're saying you know the workaround to this problem when it has been mentioned MANY times in this forum that the '92-'96 ES cannot be reprogrammed with a different key (and I have confirmed this when I called up 2 Lexus dealerships). Bottom line: you need a new chip and key for each and every 1st-gen ES. By the way, what good is it if, as you say, the key does not work but only the entry part? Turning the ignition is more important than keylessly lock/unlocking the door; that's what the keyhole is for. For some reason, I'm not buying into this "correct" programming method, and you better get your story straight.

-- Mods: I sincerely apologize for posting this rant up instead of by PM, but I think it's important to take note of each other's little faults in logic before confusion erupts.
Old 05-22-03, 07:00 PM
tigerpilot
Driver School Candidate

I purchased my '96 Lexus with a working key and 2nd key with a bad 'corroded' chip. I purchased a correct freq. used key on ebay for about 10 bucks. It was a pretty easy job to take the chip out of the used key and replace the corroded chip in th working key. I then programmed it to the car with no problem. I then hought it would be nice if I had an extra opener with key and of course I would have to get that from a Lexus dealer for big bucks. Instead, I bought a couple of used keys with the correct freq. and programmed them as well. I then cut off the key part and use the upper part to open the doors etc. I have a Chrysler minivan and their opener (ckicker) does not have the key attached so this is the same kind of deal. It give you an extra opener for a very small price. Many cars have a separate opener without a kety attached. It just depends how much money you are willing to spend. Lexus compatable key blanks without remotes cost about $2.00 wholesale. Getting them cut is not a big problem, just a few phone calls to fine a locksmith that has the proper cutting machine.
Don
Old 05-22-03, 08:18 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ok i am truley a non beliver
i have the service manuals
talked to every dealer in 97 before this forum came about and
i am very interested to find out how you found the frequency
and then programmed it also please do inform everyone as this contradicts everything ever known
what you speak of is very possible with the seperate key fob on the 97 and newer ones
but the keys are mated to the chip
Old 05-23-03, 05:17 AM
tigerpilot
Driver School Candidate

The frequency ID s stamped on the upper part of the key just above the small screw. It is an FCC ID. My '96 key ID is HYQWDT-B I found the programming instructions on this forum.
Regards, Don
Old 05-23-03, 05:37 AM
tigerpilot
Driver School Candidate

Default Keyless programming for 1996 ES300

KEYLESS ENTRY ROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS FOR MY 1996 ES300.

These instructions seem a bit complicated but I assure you that they worked for me and many others. You may have to do it a couple of times 'cause it gets a little confusing.

Sit in the drivers seat and LOCK all doors

Unlock and open the drivers door.

Using the MANUAL lock switch,on the drivers door, unlock the door 5 times

Close the door.

Open the door.

MANUALLY lock and unlock thye drivers door 5 times. If this sequence fails to work you can try the power switch.

Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the 'ON' position.

Turn the key to OFF and remove key.

The drivers door will now lock and unlock itselt one time.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob for at least 1 second.

Close the drivers door.

Open the drivers door.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob for at least one second.

Close the drivers door.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob. The door will lock.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob. The door will UNlock.

You should be all set.
Old 05-23-03, 07:27 AM
skelley
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for 1996 ES300 Key programming instructions

Tigerpilot,

Thanks for the programming instructions. Wow! I guess Toyota didn't want you (or your kid) to inadvertently reprogram your key.

I am waiting for my key off EBay. I didn't get as good a deal as you did but it was considerably less than the dealer. According to the Ebay write-up the frequency matches.

To the unbelieving user with the 97 Lexus. You probably do not have the key with the the little button on the side so your programming instructions would not be the same. There are other forum articles that cover 97 and up.

To the other mis-informed user. While your intention to help was appreciated, the Lexus forum users would be much better served if you didn't respond on topics beyond your personal expertice. Your information from the dealer may have been accurately conveyed but in my experience most dealers are in the business to make money (lots of money at the Lexus dealer) and have absolutely no problem withholding money-saving information to the auto owners.

I hope my comments were not offensive. I appreciate this forum as a recent Lexus owner and I look forward to many more pleasant information exchanges.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ES300 1996 Keyless programming???