ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 1996 Keyless programming???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-03, 08:07 AM
tigerpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I don't think the dealers really know that the keys can be programmed by the owner. They use a computer to do the programming.

Also, after 1996 the keyless system is certainly different.

My Minivan has had owner programming instructions in their manual for at least six or seven years. Of course they are not correct. They forget to tell you that you must have the drivers door oper when you program keys and you have to program ALL your keys at the same time..
Old 05-23-03, 08:29 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation

Originally posted by skelley
To the other mis-informed user. While your intention to help was appreciated, the Lexus forum users would be much better served if you didn't respond on topics beyond your personal expertice. Your information from the dealer may have been accurately conveyed but in my experience most dealers are in the business to make money (lots of money at the Lexus dealer) and have absolutely no problem withholding money-saving information to the auto owners.

I hope my comments were not offensive. I appreciate this forum as a recent Lexus owner and I look forward to many more pleasant information exchanges.
skelley, I appreciate your feedback on this matter, but I think you may have started on the wrong foot. Let me explain.

This forum was created to gather everyone's facts/opinions/advice on all things Lexus and non-Lexus (note the word "opinion"). From your response, it sounds like you're making me the scapegoat, and that you don't respect my help Well, let me tell you this for the record. I've been a Lexus owner for the past 7 years, I've owned two different ES for the same amount of time (and put in high mileage on both), and I've garnered a lot of info on other Lexus models (i.e. GS, RX, IS) through other sources and means. I have a solid network of friends and family who drive Lexus. I've come a long way to get to where I am (and there's much more to do), so don't start saying I'm ignorant of all things Lexus. I am WELL aware of the dealers making the extra buck from the customers, I've been down that road in the past.

All I'm saying is that please don't disrespect other owners/members who try to lend a hand in assisting other owners/members, ESPECIALLY to those who have done the research. Also don't belittle others research efforts; I can't stress enough how important it is to utilize the CL search engine. Thanks for your understanding.

- From your dedicated Lexus owner
Old 05-23-03, 08:41 AM
skelley
Driver School Candidate

LexusK8,

Thank you for your reply. It was not my intention to offend or to imply you were "ignorant of all things Lexus (though Ignorance is no Sin)." I apologize for offending you. Based on your previous reply you have considerably more experience than I on Lexus'. I am ignorant of many things Lexus which is why I subscribed to this forum.

Please accept my humble apology.

Thank you SKelley
Old 05-23-03, 10:50 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

skelley,

Your apology is well-accepted, I'm glad to hear that. I, as well as the rest of us, applaud for you being a CL member, and please stick around here as you will gather so much info about your ES and Lexus you never thought possible. As in the old cliche goes, "We're like a big family"

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-03, 11:40 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i agree with lexusk8
that reply from skelly was condecending and tounge in cheek which although stated
with the "i mean nothing by this "
it certainly was clear you did
you are new to the forum and there are other members who have been around. seen alot more and experianced far more than you in regards to lexus
i don't know you so i can't speak for your degree of background in these cars
but on the same token , you also don't know me
just to bring you up to speed
i have had my car for almost 7 years do all the service,know 3 dealers service techs very well,that they do any major service if needed,work on many other es 300's have the original 300 dollar service manuals and the technical knowledge from technical college to put it into use

if you don't want to be condecending .................then don't

thank you for the info tigerpilot
glad to learn something new
Old 05-23-03, 01:40 PM
skelley
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by skperformance
if you don't want to be condecending .................then don't
(SIC)

Clearly I was misinterpreted.

There is no crime in being mis-informed or ignorant for that matter. If we are willing to admit our ignorance we open ourselves up to learn (that is why I am a member of this forum).

The tragedy is in spreading the mis-information (intentionally or otherwise) as fact rather than mere opinion (review thread interactions). I got the impression from Lexusk8 that my situation was hopeless (short of replacing the chip and key) only to find out (thanks to tigerpilot) that there was a solution (which I suspected as much). To me Lexusk8 was mis-informed (to no fault of his own) but seemed to state his position as fact (perhaps I misinterpreted his tone??? ).

My point: Clear informative communication without misleading (intentional or otherwise) can be very helpful with a few simple common courtesies:
If you have an opinion state it as such. ie. "here is what i have believe" or "in my opinion"
If you believe something to be fact but acquire it as heresay state it as "here is what I have found"
Otherwise give the specific concrete reference (as tigerpilot did) and everyone benefits.

So if I sounded condescending it was not intentional. Irritated maybe but not condescending.

Have a great Holiday weekend.

PS: Aren't these little smilies great?? ::

Last edited by skelley; 05-23-03 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 09:33 PM
lvicks
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,
so were any of you able to successfully reprogram the key on the '96 and earlier models?

I have a '95 and would love to be able to get into my car quicker now that it's getting cold out. Here's a video of me trying to follow the instructions best I could, but I couldn't get it.

video

any help is very appreciated!

Last edited by lvicks; 01-03-12 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-10-12, 02:27 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerpilot
KEYLESS ENTRY ROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS FOR MY 1996 ES300.

These instructions seem a bit complicated but I assure you that they worked for me and many others. You may have to do it a couple of times 'cause it gets a little confusing.

Sit in the drivers seat and LOCK all doors

Unlock and open the drivers door.

Using the MANUAL lock switch,on the drivers door, unlock the door 5 times

Close the door.

Open the door.

MANUALLY lock and unlock thye drivers door 5 times. If this sequence fails to work you can try the power switch.

Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the 'ON' position.

Turn the key to OFF and remove key.

The drivers door will now lock and unlock itselt one time.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob for at least 1 second.

Close the drivers door.

Open the drivers door.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob for at least one second.

Close the drivers door.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob. The door will lock.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob. The door will UNlock.

You should be all set.

Thanks. Worked on my 99 ES300 on first try.
Old 09-10-12, 02:39 PM
lvicks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomf
Thanks. Worked on my 99 ES300 on first try.
Mate, do you mind either taking a video or comparing what you did to my video?
I know I'm doing something silly.

thanks!
Old 09-10-12, 06:26 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

OK Here's a quick video. I made the video down to the step where the doors lock and unlock by themselves. (I didn't want to potentially mess up my remote.) Once you make it that far the rest should be easy. Here's the instructions again. I made a couple of changes to make it a little easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtSqz...ature=youtu.be

Sit in the driver's seat and LOCK all doors

(Using the manual lock switch) Unlock and open the driver's door.

Using the MANUAL lock switch, on the driver's door, (Lock and) unlock the door 5 times

Close the door.

Open the door.

MANUALLY lock and unlock the driver's door 5 times. If this sequence fails to work you can try the power switch.

Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the 'ON' position.

Turn the key to OFF and remove key.

The drivers door will now lock and unlock itselt one time.

******* (Video ends at this point) ***********

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob for at least 1 second.

Close the drivers door.

Open the drivers door.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob for at least one second.

Close the drivers door.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob. The door will lock.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob. The door will UNlock.
Old 09-13-12, 07:29 PM
lvicks
Driver School Candidate

thanks for putting the time into that!

looks like it doesn't work on the older model lexus, as I was doing it right & also redid it following your video.
Old 09-13-12, 11:26 PM
dcollister
Driver School Candidate

so....I have a 1996 lexus es300. I do not have a keyless entry remote, just a spare key. I'm wanting to install a Viper 5701 with remote start. Am I going to need anything special in order to utilize the remote start or the keyless remote?
Old 09-14-12, 11:46 AM
mtnman82
Rookie

I've re-programmed a few (3) remotes on our '96. It doesn't always work on the first try, at least for me, but I've always been able to get the remote programmed after trying a few times. Also, I had on remote that just went bad for some reason - no warning, no damage, replaced battery, nothing, just stopped working. Luckily I had one more to try and it worked fine. Just thought I'd mention it...

Not sure on your Viper question dcollister - I'm thinking it's up to the 5701 to be compatible, but that's just a guess...
Old 01-21-13, 03:52 PM
slikjik
Driver School Candidate

I have two sets of keys. One works and the other doesn't. I already replaced the battery. My question is, if I program the second key that doesn't work will the first set still work?

TIA
Old 01-21-13, 04:20 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The short answer is YES.

Phil