ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Hole in FlexPipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 09:55 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

If you're thinking of cutting and welding, you might as well replace the Y-Pipe with an aftermarket unit, such as Walkers, and adjust it to make a perfect seal.

The only thing I don't like about mine, which I found out later, is that their exhaust system is not protected against corrosion, like the Lexus one. Also, I believe the R&R caused an exhaust leak - still investigating.

Having said that, do NOT use an aftermarket Y-Pipe. I think your idea is much better in the long run.
Old 03-29-14, 07:11 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Sorry for the delay, here's the picture:
Old 03-29-14, 11:04 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

First off, OP: apologies for thread-jacking.

I had a look at mine today.

There's a hole in the mesh on the flexpipe itself, but the main leak seems to be coming from where the flex pipe just meets the rear pipe going toward the catalytic converter.

I measured the pipe diameter with my calipers to be 2.25" in the front and 2" on the rear, which suggests I'd need an adapter with the universal flex pipe. There isn't much space to clamp or even weld onto with the support bracket in front of the flex pipe attached to the sub-frame.

Old 03-29-14, 11:28 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,686 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Eastern Catalytic makes a replacement for about $300 (search on Ebay for Eastern 40665) but not sure about quality. I can't understand why they made the catalytic and pipe all one piece, just stupid. Best solution is to get a shop to make a custom setup, done right you'll actually get a bit more power out of the engine as the stock one is not the best design.

The part from Lexus is priced at a comical $1000.
Old 03-30-14, 07:11 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost! If you look at the after picture it looks like they had welded over the joint. The factory joints do exactly what I have done, The final bead of weld joins the inner to the outer. So in reality they have expanded the replacement pipe to fit over the singled joint overlapping it. What I did is weld the camry pipe over the inner wall then seal the outer wall to the weld.
Old 03-31-14, 04:41 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mythotical
The final bead of weld joins the inner to the outer. So in reality they have expanded the replacement pipe to fit over the singled joint overlapping it. What I did is weld the camry pipe over the inner wall then seal the outer wall to the weld.
Hey, I appreciate your feedback so far, but I can't seem to picture what you mean by the welds joining the inner and outer pipes. Do you have a picture or can you draw an illustration? Where is the pipe double walled?

Thanks
Old 03-31-14, 08:37 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Eastern Catalytic makes a replacement for about $300 (search on Ebay for Eastern 40665) but not sure about quality. I can't understand why they made the catalytic and pipe all one piece, just stupid. Best solution is to get a shop to make a custom setup, done right you'll actually get a bit more power out of the engine as the stock one is not the best design. The part from Lexus is priced at a comical $1000.

After buying a Walker Y-Pipe and having a shop install it and then reweld a flange, because it didn't fit right, I'm very close to $1000 in total. If I had known better I would have never purchased an aftermarket exhaust piece.

Somebody had a bad experience with Eastern as well. Unless you can do the welding and cutting yourself, I would stay away. The stock system is made out of double walled stainless.
Old 03-31-14, 10:30 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,686 Likes on 2,274 Posts

The original exhaust I don't think is stainless, just aluminized steel. The exception is the braid covering the flexible section which is stainless. But either way I've had the same experience aftermarket exhaust parts NEVER fit right, sometimes they are close but not like factory. For that reason I don't even bother with aftermarket anymore.

I just spent $250 for a mid pipe on my Camry, aftermarket was $60 but useless because it didn't line up with the factory pipes (and hangers) worth a damn.
Old 03-31-14, 09:50 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

The pipe is double walled between the cat and the flex pipe. Slide the Camry pipe over the inner wall until the edge of it is about 1/8" from the outer wall's edge so you can overlap the two weld beads thus sealing the outer wall. I will post a picture as soon as I can, but you can barely see exactly what I have done.
Old 04-01-14, 04:56 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mythotical
The pipe is double walled between the cat and the flex pipe. Slide the Camry pipe over the inner wall until the edge of it is about 1/8" from the outer wall's edge so you can overlap the two weld beads thus sealing the outer wall. I will post a picture as soon as I can, but you can barely see exactly what I have done.
Thanks.

Here's a quick sketch from what I understand from your description.

Are you saying you used one weld to seal both the inner and outer pipes together?
Old 04-01-14, 08:19 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

You can think of it that way, you just have to lay a second bead on top of the first bead but offset the second bead towards the outer pipe a little.

Nice drawing by the way!
Old 04-24-14, 07:11 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Just updating this thread with my flex pipe replacement. I took it to a shop to get it done today for $150 CAD.

The flex pipe was leaking, as well as the around the "joint" where it meets the rear pipe.

Before:

They tried to put on the bracket back around the flex pipe but the welded pipe is too large a diameter and it won't fit. I'll see if I can rig up something to work with the remaining pieces of the bracket.

It was a bit challenging for them to weld it on the car, as there isn't much clearance above the pipe.

After:

The double pipe they mentioned was just the two Y-pipes butt joined together in the front. As you can see the flex pipe are single walled, albeit fairly thick.

Flex pipe close ups:

Notice the edge of the flex pipe where it joins to the rear pipe where its cracked and leaking:

The car drives quieter now, not as coarse as before. Will see on a cold start in the mornings if I still smell the exhaust.
Old 08-07-14, 07:29 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I know this is a old thread but I thought I would offer this helpful advice: Stay away from the after market systems like Eastern Cat....... I ordered one from Rock and the fitment is NOT even close. Not one flange matched up and the flange leaks are driving me nuts! I am taking the system apart for the fifth time to make it fit, thank God I have a lift in my garage...... Do not attempt this job using aftermarket parts unless you have a lift.
I sorta knew this was going to be a biotch of a job because the old system came off in 10 minutes.