ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

-- where is the fuse for the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-14, 01:19 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default -- where is the fuse for the trunk?

I was changing a led bulb in the trunk and believe I blew the fuse because now the trunk won't open, alarm doesn't work and interior light is out as well...

Which fuse is this? Not sure what else could be out but this is what I saw so far.
Old 03-09-14, 01:44 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the year of your ES? I can look it up right away.
Old 03-09-14, 01:50 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

1997, thanks
Old 03-09-14, 01:52 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Or better yet what fuse controls trunk switch, alarm, interior light and even the interior time is very dim...everything was fine before I touched the trunk bulb
Old 03-09-14, 01:56 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try the dome fuse in the fuse box next to the air box under the hood.... That's the fuse for interior lights and the others you mention in my 1992...
Old 03-09-14, 03:14 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

The 25A Door fuse seems to be the culprit, however, it affects more circuits, so to verify this is indeed the culprit, do the power doors work? fuel door? I apologize but in some ways I'm making a guess as the trunk light isn't included in the circuit, however, its ground controlled like the rest of the doors so I assume its along the same circuit as the trunk release motor.

Its on the driver side fuse box, its in the second column from the right and its the second fuse.

The dimming is a bit weird, but replace the fuse and let me know if that still remains. I can't see a relation between the dimming and the 25a door fuse.
Old 03-09-14, 03:20 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
try the dome fuse in the fuse box next to the air box under the hood.... That's the fuse for interior lights and the others you mention in my 1992...
This is also worth checking out. It includes the same circuits (in different applications) except this fuse doesn't control the trunk release motor. However, the clock wouldn't work at all if this fuse were blown leading me to believe it isn't this fuse. Worth a look though, its the engine compartment. It should be the only 7.5A fuse (in the engine compartment) located on the side closest to the headlight.
Old 03-09-14, 03:23 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Originally Posted by PuReChaos
The 25A Door fuse seems to be the culprit, however, it affects more circuits, so to verify this is indeed the culprit, do the power doors work? fuel door? I apologize but in some ways I'm making a guess as the trunk light isn't included in the circuit, however, its ground controlled like the rest of the doors so I assume its along the same circuit as the trunk release motor.

Its on the driver side fuse box, its in the second column from the right and its the second fuse.

The dimming is a bit weird, but replace the fuse and let me know if that still remains. I can't see a relation between the dimming and the 25a door fuse.
Yes those work. Fuel door and power door locks work...that's the only way I can open the car now with my master key and the same for the trunk.
Old 03-09-14, 03:24 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

oh maybe it's all a bit different in the 97 models.....

My dome fuse is a 20A fuse.... My clock still works when it's blown tho.. when I was having problems with it shorting it was caused by the wires for from the trunk light touching until I wired it up... On mine it controls internal lights, trunk light, folding mirrors, light around keyhole & I forget what else... probably trunk release too...
Old 03-09-14, 03:25 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

So these fuses are in the box in the engine area and not into the cabin under the left side of the steering wheel?
Old 03-09-14, 03:26 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

My dome fuse is a 20A fuse.... My clock still works when it's blown tho.. when I was having problems with it shorting it was caused by the wires for from the trunk light touching until I wired it up... On mine it controls internal lights, trunk light, folding mirrors, light around keyhole & I forget what else... probably trunk release too...
So its a bigger fuse?
Old 03-09-14, 03:29 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

No dome fuse is still a micro fuse or I believe thats what they are called. He has a 92 windom, you've got a 97 es. Yours is specifically a 7.5A dome fuse. Its in the engine compartment. The 25A door fuse is located in the fuse compartment on the driver side inside the car.

Last edited by PuReChaos; 03-09-14 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-09-14, 03:34 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Thats because your clock isn't run by the 20A dome fuse. Its run by the 15A cig/radio fuse. I recall all the circuits as I was the one attempting to assist you with that problem.
Old 03-09-14, 12:27 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PuReChaos
Thats because your clock isn't run by the 20A dome fuse. Its run by the 15A cig/radio fuse. I recall all the circuits as I was the one attempting to assist you with that problem.
I don't doubt you.... The likely updated / improved cicuit design for the 3ES.... I've not really got any knowledge of 3ES, was just trying to help, probably confused the poor chap more than helped...
Old 03-09-14, 10:04 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Under hood, one by the intake. Pop it open [underside of cover is a diagram], look for the fuse labelled "Dome" its a 10A, if i recall... If never changed, Lexus puts three 'spares' in this fuse box with the removal clips.

Quick Reply: -- where is the fuse for the trunk?