ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1992 Lexus ES300

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 03:11 PM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Lexus ES300

Hello, I have a 1992 Lexus ES300. I almost have 297,000 miles on it and probably will never get rid of it. It has been so reliable for these past 22 years. I eventually am going to restore it but for now, I have a question if you can help me out. Recently i noticed that my temperature
gauge in my car had gone up all the way to Hot. I did not have much coolant left in the
radiator when i opened it up after giving it time to cool down of course. I have a mechanic who i have gone to for over 15 years with my car, and he told me there is water/coolant leaking
out of the intake gasket and the head gasket. He is going to use this solution for 60 bucks. It is called Blue Devil head gasket sealant. Does anyone know about this or have any ideas
of what to do . Right now, the temperature gauge is normalized, but i see myself needing
to add coolant if i drive a good amount. I am obviously losing coolant, which was not happening before. Thank you for your help.

Praveen
Old 02-19-14, 03:22 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Those types of solution is just a quick / temporary fix. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't. What they do is to swell up the gasket so that the gap in the gasket is gone.
Old 03-08-14, 09:07 PM
Synes
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue Devil is a quick fix most mechanics use.
Keep checking your fluid.
When you have enough money saved, then have your gaskets replaced.
With that much mileage, your car had done you well.
Old 03-20-14, 03:24 PM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

Hi. Thanks a lot for the message. I bought Blue Devil Head gasket sealer and my mechanic added
it in and followed the directions, as he is an experience mechanic, and now the problem has
been fixed. It has def for the time being, sealed up the cracked gasket. The way i know that this has
been solved is that my temperature gauge is no longer going to Hot, and it is now right in the middle.
In the past, i would have to add a good amount of coolant every morning, and i knew that was
indicative of a coolant leak. Now, i dont have to add any coolant. The crack, for now, has been sealed.
It does clog up your heater core, but i don't need heating now as the weather gets warmer.
Old 03-20-14, 03:25 PM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

The blue devil gasket sealer def. worked. I dont have to add coolant anymore like i was doing
a few weeks ago. In the past, this quick fix solution would last 5-6 months at a time and i was fine
with that. It is close to 300,000 miles. My goal is 500,000!
Old 03-20-14, 04:49 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should've went ahead and replaced leaking gaskets. Your heater core is now plugged up, and your radiator is probably getting clogged up as we speak. Your mechanic is an idiot-find another mechanic.
Old 03-20-14, 05:24 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mitmaks
You should've went ahead and replaced leaking gaskets. Your heater core is now plugged up, and your radiator is probably getting clogged up as we speak. Your mechanic is an idiot-find another mechanic.
I wouldn't call the mechanic an idiot, I'm sure he made a decision based on the customer's requests. That gasket sealer might have fixed the leak, but if you're planning to keep the car till 500,000, you will end up replacing the heater core, the radiator and any bad gaskets/hoses anyway.
Old 03-20-14, 08:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

That stuff will work for a time, but the silicate will break down and start to circulate in the coolant and cause all manner of problems. In some cases the chunks get lodged in a coolant passage and it's nearly impossible to remove. Horrible stuff, I would not trust any mechanic that recommended it.
Old 03-30-14, 12:44 PM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

the labor just to fix the head gaskets would be over 1000.00.
The radiator is actually fine. The heater is working fine too. He's not an idiot. I'm not sure if you
know about cars, but he's been a mechanic for a long time and i knew going into it that it might
clog up my heater core. The heater is fine and the radiator is working fine.
Old 03-30-14, 12:45 PM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

It's good to hear comments like yours that make sense. Thanks. It would be too much to fix the head gaskets right now and the heater is actually fine as well as the radiator.
Old 03-30-14, 12:47 PM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

my mechanic clearly explained to me the risks of using the head gasket sealer. I have used it before
and my radiator is fine. Heater is actually working, but it's warming up here so i don't need to worry about
that. The main thing is the radiator getting damaged but it's working fine and i hope it continues to work.The
Blue Devil head gasket sealer works wonders actually.
Old 03-30-14, 01:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Real mechanics don't use that crap, or recommend it.
Old 04-03-14, 09:25 PM
Synes
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default true mechanics

Yes, true mechanics will not usually use BlueMax. However, true mechanics also work within the customer's budget and tell them the consequenses. I love the 3VZFE motors in my es300 and Camry. It's been reliable to me and my family. Support our Lexus family and let's root him for that 500,000 mile. I hope mine will last that long. I only have 22,000 miles on my 1992 es300.

Last edited by Synes; 04-03-14 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 04-26-14, 12:25 PM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

I have been losing more coolant lately. I drove it the other day with a full tank of coolant and drove about
75-80 miles. when i got home, the temperature gauge was all the way up to HOT and i had no coolant left.
i know this is not normal, considering i filled it up before driving. What could it be besides another
crack in the head gasket? i am wonder what are some other causes of such a major coolant leak?

thanks
Old 04-26-14, 12:43 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to local auto parts store and rent a radiator/cooling system pressure tester. You fill up your cooling system and use some UV dye in coolant and then you pressure system with pressure tester. Next you watch for leaks, it could be your radiator, hoses, water pump (behind timing belt cover) head gaskets.
I'm betting its your water pump.

Quick Reply: 1992 Lexus ES300