ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1992 Lexus ES300

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 05:06 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I wouldn't call the mechanic an idiot, I'm sure he made a decision based on the customer's requests. That gasket sealer might have fixed the leak, but if you're planning to keep the car till 500,000, you will end up replacing the heater core, the radiator and any bad gaskets/hoses anyway.
Just cause he's mechanic doesn't make him any more special than you are. There's a lot of shoddy "mechanics" out there, as well as "plumbers, carpenters, painters etc."
I've seen some real bad mechanics that worked in multiple shops around town but they lack actual skills so that's when "fix a leak" type of fixes come in.
In the end, you have to take pride in your work and not just half *** it.
Old 04-29-14, 06:35 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^theres a difference between half ***-ing it, and working with the given circumstances. Assuming the OP said he needed a cheap fix, and the mechanic told him the possible negative consequences and that this is only a short term fix, I don't understand what he did wrong? It's like anything else, good mechanics will not only help fix a problem, they work with the customer. If a person needs their brakes changed and opt for cheaper parts, a mechanic isn't worse at what he does if he informs the customer of what the consequences will be by using these cheaper parts versus the more expensive ones as long as it doesn't put them in danger.
Old 04-30-14, 09:07 AM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are some causes of a coolant leak besides the head gasket potentially being cracked?
I have noticed that there are small pools of coolant on the ground when i park my car and i
use it the next day. i park indoors and noticed the green fluid on the ground. Just need help
to know what are other causes of a coolant leak.

thanks
Old 04-30-14, 11:52 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

With a car this old with that many miles it's just wear and tear, it could be a hose but if it was the head gasket before, what's stopping it from still being the head gasket?
Old 04-30-14, 07:20 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pvenna
What are some causes of a coolant leak besides the head gasket potentially being cracked?
I have noticed that there are small pools of coolant on the ground when i park my car and i
use it the next day. i park indoors and noticed the green fluid on the ground. Just need help
to know what are other causes of a coolant leak.

thanks
Like I've suggested before it could be your water pump, read my previous post. Go to auto parts store and rent cooling system pressure tester, it will pressurize cooling system and leaks will be obvious. Don't forget to use some uv dye rated for coolant, it will be much easier spotting where there leak is at.
Old 05-01-14, 09:37 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually when I have a customer on a budget in need of an expensive repair, I will loan them a car for a week or two to save up, or if I know them well enough I'll let them make payments. I will never cut corners, or cheap out on any parts. I treat every car I work on as if my mom were going to be driving it. I should call my shop Methodical auto care.

As for ****ty mechanics I have seen a few. I have worked in many shops, some in Thousand Oaks California and some here in Montana. In T.O. I have seen everything from the young idiot mechanic who would repair stripped threads with electrical tape (yes I have actually seen this) to the "I have been a mechanic for 30 years" but for some reason I have had bad responses when telling someone they have been doing it wrong for 30 years. I have also seen every kind of "snake oil" or "head gasket in a can" and yes I don't care how broke you may be, you will have to pay twice as much to repair the damage done by such products and will never really gain anything in the long run but heartache and sorrow. I just can not see the logic in being cheap and petty with something that is a big part of your life.

Finally things like brakes and tires are things that one day your life will depend on! A few years ago I was rear ended by some old lady who was reading her prescription drug label and hit me at about 40mph while I was stopped at a red light never looking foward or applying her brakes. I have since made a full recovery but early on I could not work as a mechanic because my back was really hurt. So I did the next best thing and took a job at my local Napa auto parts. While working there I noticed one trend that always scared the crap out of me. People men and women alike would always seem to come in and ask for the cheapest brake parts money can buy and then ask the stupidest questions about how to put them on. And we have to share the road with these people.

So I say this, real mechanics who really care about their customers will never ever cut corners or cheap out on parts or gamble on a temporary repair. I like to think about it this way, Would you trust a heart surgeon who told you that some junk in a can will temporarily fix your hemorrhaging aorta?

Nobody asked for it but that was my two cents.
Old 05-01-14, 10:20 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Great response, I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 05-08-14, 12:38 PM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

They pressure tested the car and found out that the coolant leak was due to the water pump.
i had the water pump and timing belt replaced. I also need to replace my thermostat, thermostat gasket
and the thermostat housing. Luckily, those parts are not too expensive. I found that amazon.com and rockauto.com have some of the best auto parts prices on the web. I was just happy to find out that the leak
was not due to the head gasket, again! Thanks for all your help and suggestions
Old 05-12-14, 09:40 AM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

I have another question. Last week i had coolant leak, and they pressure tested it and found out that it was due to a water pump. So i had the water pump and timing belt replace. They also found leaks in the thermostat housing so i replaced that. It was not too expensive. One week later, i was driving my car locally
and noticed coolant gushing out of my car. Could it be due to a defective water pump, since i had a new
water pump just recently installed last week. If not, what other reasons would have caused the coolant to gush out? i look at the radiator and coolant was coming out of that area, but i could not tell if it was actually coming out the radiator. i need your help.
Old 05-12-14, 10:01 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I have another question. Last week i had coolant leak, and they pressure tested it and found out that it was due to a water pump. So i had the water pump and timing belt replace. They also found leaks in the thermostat housing so i replaced that. It was not too expensive. One week later, i was driving my car locally and noticed coolant gushing out of my car. Could it be due to a defective water pump, since i had a new water pump just recently installed last week. If not, what other reasons would have caused the coolant to gush out? i look at the radiator and coolant was coming out of that area, but i could not tell if it was actually coming out the radiator. i need your help.
Could you provide the parts manufacturers that you used?
Old 05-16-14, 04:17 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could also be the bypass hose under the lower intake manifold.
Old 06-07-14, 07:09 PM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

For many years, my ABS light has been on. What are some reasons this could happen besides
the abs speed sensors? i need help! sometimes when i brake, the brakes will vibrate like crazy
but it happens on and off. just wanted some help.
Old 06-07-14, 07:10 PM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

What is a good brand for rear control arms? i have a 1992 lexus ES300.
thanks!
Old 06-07-14, 08:06 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

For many years, my ABS light has been on. What are some reasons this could happen besides
the abs speed sensors? i need help! sometimes when i brake, the brakes will vibrate like crazy
but it happens on and off. just wanted some help.
If all tires are not the same, it could cause the ABS light to come on. You'll need to have the ABS code verified to determine the cause.
Old 06-25-14, 08:53 PM
pvenna
Driver School Candidate

Where are good places to find remanufactured engines for a 1992 lexus es300?

Quick Reply: 1992 Lexus ES300